Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone start with a BMI in the 50's? What were your results?

I had my surgical consult today and it has set my mind spinning! I have a high BMI of 55. My surgeon, though absolutely willing to move forward with lap band for me, strongly suggests I consider Sleeve or Bypass. He feels I may be disappointed with my weight loss results with the band. I have been reading posts on these boards for a few months now and I have seen very few people with a starting BMI/weight as high as mine (weight is 354). My surgeons office recommends an ideal weight of 155 for me (I'm 5'7) where as I would be happy with 175. The largest results in my research I have seen with the band were in the 100lbs range. Though this is amazing that would put me at 250. I guess what is really discouraging me is all the posts on here within the last few weeks regarding failing bands and low weight loss. If I am going to have surgery I want it to give me the tool that I need to assist me.

I need some inspiration from those who started with high BMI's please.

The great thing is I can start the process of the supervised diet and psych eval without making my final decision so I have some more time for research on both. I will be attending support groups for those who have gone through Band and Bipass surgery to hear their stories as well.

Thanks!

W

i had a bmi of 62........and 336 top weight

i think if you follow the dr instructions, and eat right (allotted amounts and exercise as you are able), you can get healthy

Mine is 53!! I'm being banded on the 14th of jan. by doc reccommend this over the other surgerys for the fact that's it's reversible and a lot less of a risk!

My BMI started MUCH higher- it was 72. I weighed 421 pounds, so I weighed a lot more than you do, too.

I've lost over 170 pounds in 11 months. I still have about 85 pounds to lose, but that's a heck of a lot better than where I started and I'm confident I will lose it.

You most certainly can lose the weight you need to with the band, you just have to be willing to do the work it requires to be successful with it.

Don't know what my BMI was but I was 330 time of my surgery.

My BMI was 55.... I weighed 377 lbs. I am now 157 lbs and my BMI is 23. I have lost 220 lbs. I believe the amount of weight you need to lose doesn't matter...my dr never told me I wasn't a good candidate.

I'm 5'7" too and started out about where you are. I was banded in August, and I've lost 62 pounds (16 pre-op, and 46 post-op) so far.

You will be fine with the band!! Good Luck!!

I'm 5'2" and started out at 294 so if I remember correctly my BMI was 52. I sought my surgeon out for the simple fact that he did only lap band and that I knew that I wanted that surgery only. For me it wasn't a choice of surgeries, I knew I didn't want my intestines rerouted or my stomach cut on, I wanted something safe and cancer runs in my immediate family so if I ever had stomach cancer I knew I had my entire stomach not some little pouch that I was left with. I know that sounds harsh but this surgery saved my life, it has given me my life back. Yes I'm just starting out, only 6 mos post op but I don't intend on failing. I have changed my eating habits and it feels great to fit into chairs at dr's offices etc. I want to be able to do things recreational some day that I've never been able to do as an adult. I've always been overweight. The lap band allows me to monitor my food intake and now I make food choices that are better for me. Hopefully soon I will be able to exercise and feel like since these last 6 months have been hard on me, I have been sick for the most part due to a really diseased gallbladder and just had surgery for that almost 2 wks ago. So, here's to positive vibes going your way to whatever surgery you choose and good luck.

I am 5'3 with a BMI of 55. My Dr initially was pushing by pass for me as well. We talked a lot especially about my concerns with being opened up etc and lap band was the only route I was going to take. Not going to lie be said it would be harder to go this route, but trust me I am ready for the challenge. Too early to tell as I am only 20 hours out do surgery, but I did what I knew was best for me! Hoping you do the same

Yes I started with a BMI of 54 and now I'm down go a BMI of 32 and still losing :-)

Thank you everyone for responding! This helped me so much!! I can by nature second guess my decisions on anything. Even though I went in yesterday knowing Lap Band was right for me I of course second guessed my decision. I also am not comfortable with the thought of cutting into my stomach or rerouting my intestine.

Congratulations to all of you and good luck on your continued journey!

You will make the right decision for you. I knew cutting me open and removing or re-routing anything was not the choice for me. It works wonderfully, but just not for me. Enjoy the journey!

Just thought I would let you know that I know someone who got band over 500lbs and has lost over 250.

I had my surgical consult today and it has set my mind spinning! I have a high BMI of 55. My surgeon' date=' though absolutely willing to move forward with lap band for me, strongly suggests I consider Sleeve or Bypass. He feels I may be disappointed with my weight loss results with the band. I have been reading posts on these boards for a few months now and I have seen very few people with a starting BMI/weight as high as mine (weight is 354). My surgeons office recommends an ideal weight of 155 for me (I'm 5'7) where as I would be happy with 175. The largest results in my research I have seen with the band were in the 100lbs range. Though this is amazing that would put me at 250. I guess what is really discouraging me is all the posts on here within the last few weeks regarding failing bands and low weight loss. If I am going to have surgery I want it to give me the tool that I need to assist me.

I need some inspiration from those who started with high BMI's please.

The great thing is I can start the process of the supervised diet and psych eval without making my final decision so I have some more time for research on both. I will be attending support groups for those who have gone through Band and Bipass surgery to hear their stories as well.

Thanks!

W[/quote']

The docs told me the same thing. My insurance would only cover this surgery so I got banded on 10/29/12. I'm down about 40lbs including preop diet. I'm excited and am planning on getting down to my goal. My dad got the bypass & it was hard on him. Also he has gained a lot of weight back from over eating & poor food choices. I wish you luck. Whatever you do it will take discipline to lose weight and keep it off. You can do it. Keep us posted on your decision.