Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mentioned the LapBand to my PCP for the first time today...

Hello everyone! I just wanted to share because I am so happy! I have my am not banded yet (I have my first appointment with my suregon tomorrow), but I've been wondering what my primary doctor would say. I've only been going to my primary doctor for about 4 years now, but she has obviously talked about her concerns about my weight. She always seemed to me to be a little old school for some reason, so I always had my assumptions of her views on the LapBand in the back of my head. I went to her today because I wasn't feeling well and she mentioned how long it has been since my last physical. So I said I wanted to make an appointment for the "Dreaded physical" and she looked at me a little puzzled. I said "you're going to yell at me because I've gained the 50lbs I was down last year." She then said "No, I wouldn't yell at you for that, but I would talk you to about the health related conditions and comorbidities that come along with obesity". I then mentioned to her that I was looking into getting the LapBand (my heart was pounding at this point because I was dreading her response) and she looked at me and her face lit up! She went on the tell me how couragous it was that I was looking into doing that and she felt it was an excellent choice! She said she has many patients that have had it done and they've all had excellent results from it! She said that the surgey is becoming more and more popular to treat obesity and she fully supports me getting it done! When she said that, I wanted to cry! I was SO excited and relieved that my doctor, a medical professional, fully supported this decision from a medical standpoint, it just helped push away any doubts I had an reaffirmed for me that this is definitely the way to go! We continued to talk a little about my reasoning why I wanted to get it done and it felt great being able to openly talk to her about it! After my appointment, I called my mother, who would rather I lose weight on my own rather than to get the LapBand but stlll supports my decision, to tell her my doctors reaction and she seemed to even have felt a little more at ease for my decision.

I'm sorry if this is all choppy! I am just very excited and wanted to share with my bandster family! I figured you all would be the ones who would truly understand the significance behind this experience. :)

Awesome!! Glad she supports you! Have fun with your appointment Tommoro!

Awesome, support is key from all sources. Good luck to you.

Last year, after I made the decision for WLS, I had my annual GYN exam and my annual physical. Both of my physicians were 100% supportive of my decision. I really feel like WLS has come such a long way in the last few years that it is getting to be more widely accepted in the health care field as well has the general public.

Congratulations on passing the PCP hurdle! I had the same experience with my PCP. Like you said, he lit up and told me the same thing about having other patients that are doing well with it. Also said me dying from morbid obesity is a greater risk than having LBS.

So you're on your way, enjoy the journey to better health!

Congratulations. And best wishes for your surgeon's appointment tomorrow.

It always interests me to learn about how the healthcare system works in different countries. In Australia we require a referral letter from our GP (PCP) just to get to that first appointment with the surgeon! Sounds as though you are able to approach a surgeon directly without this intermediary step.

Congratulations. And best wishes for your surgeon's appointment tomorrow.

It always interests me to learn about how the healthcare system works in different countries. In Australia we require a referral letter from our GP (PCP) just to get to that first appointment with the surgeon! Sounds as though you are able to approach a surgeon directly without this intermediary step.

Here we can see surgeon without referral letter, but when all our paperwork gets sent to insurance for approval, there has to be a letter of approval from PCP included. At least that's how it worked out for me.

I am so happy she offered the reaction you were hoping for. Best of luck with your surgeon!!

Congrats on taking another step towards a healthy future.

thank you all for your warm and supportive responses! Yes, this was definitely a big stepping stone for me and I am so excited!!

YAY! that is so awesome and I am so happy for you! Support is SO important.. and you have it all around! Ask all the questions you need to tomorrow! I'm excited for you!

that is way awesome. so glad for you that you beat the fear of speaking up and see what you found SUPPORT!

that is a very important part of your success with the band journey, continue to connect with this forum also because you can find support here.

good luck!!! :)

Thank you everyone! I'm meeting my surgeon today.. I don't even know what else to ask! I've gotten all of my answers here! Lol