Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pressured To Get Gastric Bypass Instead Of Lapband (Dr. Monash)

I saw DR Monash yesterday and he did tell me he been taken out more lap bands then putting in.. He says studies now show that there is only a 60% sucess rate where there is a 85% of bypass. When I got the band back in 2009 with him, is when everyone was for the band etc... But now, after more time and research etc.. they are realizing more problems with the band. I had my share of problems, a second surgery etc... I did well with the band though, was 258 and got to 130 in a year a half, then had to have a sugery about 2 years to repair a herina i got along the way, and reposition my band, which i gained back about 25 along the process.. so, If i knew now back then what I know now, I might consider the other 2 surgies myself. I seen alot of people after they hit 2 to 3 year mark after the band, having issues, sad but true. and there is alot of maintence with the band etc.. Do your research on all 3 and see.. good luck

Unfortunately not all surgeons have your best interest at heart. With rising costs and insurance payments to doctors being so low, doctors will try to push more expensive procedures. I know because I have worked with them for 28 years! I would see a surgeon who does only lap banding! If you are not that overweight now, you dont need GB !

Originally I was going to have the bypass done then at my last nutrition appt I told her that I wanted to do the lapband. Something less invasive quicker recovery and slower weight loss cuz I was not telling many people about my surgery. The day I got approved I thought the nutritionist would of been like congratulations I'm proud of you or something she was pretty flatline. I left not thinking about again. When I meet with my surgeon he was all business. He never presuded me otherwise I only have sleep apnea for a comorbidity my BMI is 41.3. So as I was getting closer to getting approved to bypass and the thought of the stench from dumping I was mortified. I am private with things like that. Well I was banded 3 days postop and I believe I'm recovering much quicker than the roommate at the hospital who was having problems moving. Not only that I only needed 1 incision I think this also puts me in a better position. I'm a very social person and want to feel a connection with everyone especially my dr but I didn't care for this I knew my dr was the best in my area but he's pretty dry. He excepted my decision but I think the general consences is to gentle encourage patients to have bypass. I don't know if its cuz of increased production or another reason but you have to listen to that inner voice. I originally wanted the band but I couldn't loose the required weight so I switched but on the 11th hour I pulled myself by the bootstraps and lost the required weight. Don't let anyone force you to choose one over the other. Listen to that inner voice I'm sooo glad I did I'm slightly sore and not able to sleep on my side but hey it's only been 3days. I only see that light brighter at the end of each day. Please keep me posted as to what you decided. This is your body and your choice. Woohoo. You go girl!!!!!

Originally I was going to have the bypass done then at my last nutrition appt I told her that I wanted to do the lapband. Something less invasive quicker recovery and slower weight loss cuz I was not telling many people about my surgery. The day I got approved I thought the nutritionist would of been like congratulations I'm proud of you or something she was pretty flatline. I left not thinking about again. When I meet with my surgeon he was all business. He never presuded me otherwise I only have sleep apnea for a comorbidity my BMI is 41.3. So as I was getting closer to getting approved to bypass and the thought of the stench from dumping I was mortified. I am private with things like that. Well I was banded 3 days postop and I believe I'm recovering much quicker than the roommate at the hospital who was having problems moving. Not only that I only needed 1 incision I think this also puts me in a better position. I'm a very social person and want to feel a connection with everyone especially my dr but I didn't care for this I knew my dr was the best in my area but he's pretty dry. He excepted my decision but I think the general consences is to gentle encourage patients to have bypass. I don't know if its cuz of increased production or another reason but you have to listen to that inner voice. I originally wanted the band but I couldn't loose the required weight so I switched but on the 11th hour I pulled myself by the bootstraps and lost the required weight. Don't let anyone force you to choose one over the other. Listen to that inner voice I'm sooo glad I did I'm slightly sore and not able to sleep on my side but hey it's only been 3days. I only see that light brighter at the end of each day. Please keep me posted as to what you decided. This is your body and your choice. Woohoo. You go girl!!!!!

You have done the right thing! There is no "Right or Wrong" WLS it's the Patient's decision (unless there is some life or death) situation then the healthcare professionals have to decide.

I understand totally where you are coming from with the privacy thing. I'm 2yrs out & only a couple of people know. My coworker's don't know because I keep work & my private life separate & I work in a Doctors' office.

Congrats with your new journey. #Banded12/22/10 lost 100lbs

This is a very interesting topic to me, as I am wanting the lap band done. My husband had the gastric bypass. He has lost an extreme amount of weight, with little problems. I think seeing all the information as we do (he never joined a support group, or web group) can be a little scary--don't get me wrong, information is a good thing, it can just be a little frightening at times--I try to keep a focus on the good results people have, and hope that I'm one of those! I think the topic of sweets is interesting as he will eat just a little now and then with no problem. Best wishes for your final decision.

Quickly, get rid of this doctor and see someone that will listen. Lapband is the only way when you have such a low BMI and NO morbid issues. I'm even surprised you qualified with insurance. YOU are in control!