Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pressured To Get Gastric Bypass Instead Of Lapband (Dr. Monash)

Hello All,

I went in for my Consultation on Monday and I left in complete distraught. I was very excited about getting the process to getting banded started, Until my surgeon starts telling me reasons why I should NOT get it and go with bypass instead. Here's a little of my background so you can understand why I thought this set off a red flag... I'm a fairly healthy 27 year old with No co-morbidities. I barely met the BMI qualifications to get the surgery done. Dr. Monash, said he rarely does the lapband procedure anymore and in fact he takes more out that puts them in. He told me that it is not as effective as the bypass and so on and so on. I explained to him that I did NOT want the bypass, as it is a more invasive surgery and I just wanted the lapband. He then looked at me as if I was making a very big mistake. :( my primary care dr that gave me the referral gave me a heads up that he would pressure me into getting the bypass instead because he makes more money off of bypass surgeries as oppose to lapband. I'm wondering is why would a surgeon even offer a product/surgery if he does not feel confident about it or is just going to talk down on it? Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I've heard this same story before here.

Your referring Dr is right , they make more off the bypass, plus not all the follow up with fills and things. You would take weight off faster with bypass but all WLS's are just tools. My sis had bypass lost the weight and then gained it back.

I 'd look for another Dr if that surgeon doesn't believe in what he's doing.

My bariatric surgeon believes it works.

My surgeon offers all WLS, but he said unless someone is addicted to sweets, he would recommend the band because it's less invasive. The bypass is an excellent tool for someone who eats a lot of sugar because if he or she eats sugar after the bypass, it means a dumping syndrome occurs. Since sugar is not my problem, as I am diabetic and do not eat sugar anyway, he highly recommend the band. Now when I got to monthly support groups, I am the only one there with a bad and at least a half dozen others have had bypass. Yes, they are losing more rapidly than I am, but they will always be susceptible to gaining the weight back. At least with the band, as I lose weight, I can have it adjusted and I like that option. Good luck on yhour decision - both are good surgeries, but are only tools - it's how you apply them that counts!

I agree with everyone here. Dont let him pressure you into doing something you dont want to do.

I would ask my dr. to refer me to a different surgeon.

hello, well well well where do I start... I had Dr. Monash do my band in 2008. I lost 130 pounds and love this doctor. I also had 40 BMI and no health issues. He only recommand the band for me, he looks at your paper work and the back ground and also when he talks to you.. He's been GREAT to me.. He was always encourging me and great bed side matter. Band reguires alot of maintence, fills etc.. so I feel bypass wouldnt be as much if you look at the maintence part. Some people wouldnt do well with fills etc... But bottum line, i doubt he is out for the money.. You need to look for a difference doctor, you need to feel comfotable and trusting with your surgeon and I feel he failed you. You missed out on a great doctor, but good luck with your surgery with who ever you go with..

There are many doctors and while this one may have satisfied patients if he didn't make you feel 100% comfortable then you should find another one.

Hello All' date='

I went in for my Consultation on Monday and I left in complete distraught. I was very excited about getting the process to getting banded started, Until my surgeon starts telling me reasons why I should NOT get it and go with bypass instead. Here's a little of my background so you can understand why I thought this set off a red flag... I'm a fairly healthy 27 year old with No co-morbidities. I barely met the BMI qualifications to get the surgery done. Dr. Monash, said he rarely does the lapband procedure anymore and in fact he takes more out that puts them in. He told me that it is not as effective as the bypass and so on and so on. I explained to him that I did NOT want the bypass, as it is a more invasive surgery and I just wanted the lapband. He then looked at me as if I was making a very big mistake. :( my primary care dr that gave me the referral gave me a heads up that he would pressure me into getting the bypass instead because he makes more money off of bypass surgeries as oppose to lapband. I'm wondering is why would a surgeon even offer a product/surgery if he does not feel confident about it or is just going to talk down on it? Has anyone else had this happen to them?[/quote']

Find a new Doctor. He sounds selfish to me. It's not his life, choice, or decision it's yours.

Lapband sounds perfect for you if you barely qualified with the BMI as it is. You dont need to have gastric bypass ...the band will do it for you. Find a different dr asap!

Another fine example of how the world evolves around MONEY for everything :(

Yes, if you do not feel comfortable, look for another Dr. even if it means driving a distance. You don't want to regret your decision later because there is no going back. It's interesting for me that someone said if you're addicted to sweets to not have the Lap Band. I am addicted to sweets but fall in a different category...I am a pastry chef and need to taste my product on occasion, therefore I couldn't very well have dumping syndrome all day at the bakery! lol But on another note, it is very hard with the band to keep away from the sweets, especially knowing you can have them with no awful side effects. I'm in a tough spot, sometimes I wish I hadn't had the band so that I would'nt be able to touch sweets but knowing that I can eat normally is wonderful. I don't want to be running to the bathroom if I make a slight mistake and take a bite of a cupcake. ;)

I would look for a new doctor.

Tom,Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

tomander@bell.net

Tori. Hi dont ever feel pressured into something. However do complete research my surgeons practice is phenominal and i met with two surgeons. One who performs Bypass an my surgeon who did my lap band. I wanted the band simply because it was less invasive. BUT the bypass surgeon did warn me that the band would be more difficult because im a grazer. Not that the band would be impossible to lose weight with just more work.

Let me tell you it is more work but do able.

Im not sure how i would chose to go now...

But i wish you the best.

Hello All,

I went in for my Consultation on Monday and I left in complete distraught. I was very excited about getting the process to getting banded started, Until my surgeon starts telling me reasons why I should NOT get it and go with bypass instead. Here's a little of my background so you can understand why I thought this set off a red flag... I'm a fairly healthy 27 year old with No co-morbidities. I barely met the BMI qualifications to get the surgery done. Dr. Monash, said he rarely does the lapband procedure anymore and in fact he takes more out that puts them in. He told me that it is not as effective as the bypass and so on and so on. I explained to him that I did NOT want the bypass, as it is a more invasive surgery and I just wanted the lapband. He then looked at me as if I was making a very big mistake. :( my primary care dr that gave me the referral gave me a heads up that he would pressure me into getting the bypass instead because he makes more money off of bypass surgeries as oppose to lapband. I'm wondering is why would a surgeon even offer a product/surgery if he does not feel confident about it or is just going to talk down on it? Has anyone else had this happen to them?

no one can make you have any surgery you do not want

if you do not want the bypass, please do not get it.

i am in agreement with the other posters, i would most def get another opinion nor doctor

I went for a consultation to a different doctor Than the one I had already seen And was waiting for approval from. I went to him because he was in my network And he had great reviews. When I got there I had to watch a video on the Lapband which sucked because I already knew everything cause ive been studying it for last three years. My appointment was at 4 PM I sat in the waiting room until 8 o'clock at night. The whole while I was listening to the nurse talk crap on the Lapband, After she knew that's what I was therefore. She had bypassed and so had everyone else in the office. She tried to talk me out of it and tell me it wasn't worth my time. I asked her if the doctor would do this to me too. She said probably because he doesn't believe in the Lapband either. New patients came in and sat with me and saw the doctor before I did. And old patients came in and saw the doctor before I did. In fact I never saw the doctor, My husband was grumpy I was tired and it was after 8 PM. So I told the receptionist I want my money back for my co-pay and I left. The doctor did come out and tell me that if I waited only 15 more minutes he would speak with, I told him no I've already been waiting for four hours!!!!! Then he proceeded to offer me dinner for me and my husband at the Olive Garden??! Really? I was so annoyed! He told me I was dumb to drive home and then come back in a few days but wait he didn't know if I wasn't coming back! I would never go to a doctor that didn't want to do what i wanted!!!