Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Some Insight Please !

I went to see a nutritionist yesterday for the first time, she is available at my primary Dr's office. I met her and she was awesome. Now the thing I need insight on is, she is not covered by my insurance because she isn't a licensed nutritionist, only certified. I have to choose a plan to see her, and they are a bit expensive, at least to me they are. I have no idea what the out of pocket costs are normally. She said that a licensed nutritionist doesn't usually know what it's like to be overweight and feel if one eats healthy the weight should just fall off, and she know's that's not always true. She on the other hand has lost over 100lbs and has helped many do the same.

Now the plan she wants me to go on because she really thinks it will work well for me is the HCG plan. Which is 374.00 for that first month seeing her 4 times in the month and covers all the supplies needed. After that, it is 100.00 a month to continue to see her, being 4 visits in the month. I just don't want to get taken advantaged of if that is to high... and should be looking for somoene who is cheaper. or covered with my insurance. ( This includes the HCG ). Would realy like to hear any opinions on the matter and if any bandsters have done the HCG. She has had a few banders be successful on it. I want to know what you all think. Is it worth it?

Thanks all again for always helping and giving your honest insight. It is ALWAYS appreciated beyond words. <3

I tell you Destynee, I would really like to see some responses to this. I never heard of it.

Isn't HCG a hormone they inject you with?

Pls do your research. A nutritionist is going to help you eat right, make good choices and work with your band. HCG to me (note this is my opinion) is a money grabber and I would have to question why you got banded and didn't just pay the money for the HCG program. Learning to live with your band is a life long journey and learning to eat and exercise properly is part of that journey. What happens after you stop paying for HCG?? I think you are being taken advantage of.

You also only had your surgery a month ago, I would not be doing anything without my surgeons approval. Give your band an chance and give yourself more credit that you can live a banded lifestyle.

I, too, am skeptical of adding a diet fad (hcg) to the band. The band is made to assist you and is long-term. It seems learning to live with the band from the get-go would be best.

Either way, good luck to you!

After googling this, I think I would talk to a nutritionist that is on your insurance plan. You know what they say about always getting a second opinion.

Don't rush into this, do your research.

Hey Destynee,

Sounds like a money scam of some sort to me. and I would like to know why in the world does she want to put you on a HCG diet plan? Seriously??? You know how old that is? I am surprised they still do that.......

Did she give you a diet plan when she sat down with you initially? You don't need to see a NUT 4x a month, seriously. What is all supplies needed? My NUT sat with me for 15 minutes and wrote down on a plain piece of computer paper my calories, Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack. She jotted down some foods to try and avoid, and foods that was considered the best choice for Protein.(thats it)! She is covered with my office visits, nothing more ever gets taken out seperately to see her.

I am sorry Desntynee, the whole thing to me is just doesn't add up. If you need to see a NUT can you just find one in your network that specializes in weight loss, there are TONS out there. You just have to do research...

Another thing to note, I do not see my NUT every single office visit! I see her when I need her.

I really don't know what else to say to you hon .. hope you get it all figured out!

Let us know ((hugs))

I tell you Destynee, I would really like to see some responses to this. I never heard of it.

Isn't HCG a hormone they inject you with?

HCG is a hormone that is produced naturally during pregnancy. In conjunction with a low calorie diet, hcg promotes the burning of non essential fat which accumulates around the hips, thighs, waist and stomach areas by regulating the body's metabolic function. When the metabolic system functions properly in the body, you lose weight faster by burning ( not storing ) fatmore efficiently.

Pls do your research. A nutritionist is going to help you eat right, make good choices and work with your band. HCG to me (note this is my opinion) is a money grabber and I would have to question why you got banded and didn't just pay the money for the HCG program. Learning to live with your band is a life long journey and learning to eat and exercise properly is part of that journey. What happens after you stop paying for HCG?? I think you are being taken advantage of.

You also only had your surgery a month ago, I would not be doing anything without my surgeons approval. Give your band an chance and give yourself more credit that you can live a banded lifestyle.

I have never thought about hcg, and when I went to see the nutritionist, it was only to have guidance in my band lifestyle. She talked to me about this, and it did sound appealing of course. I have given my band a chance, and I absolutely know I can live a banded lifestyle. I will for sure ask my surgeon what his thoughts on the matter. And I hear ya about it maybe a money grabber which led me here. What appealed to me when she talked to me about the hcg was that I wouldn't change anything about my diet, which seemed wow that would be easy to take this shot and if it gets weight off more efficiently then what the heck! But that is why I am on here.. with this.. to see your opinions and listen to all your insights.. I want to make sure I make the right decision. Thanks so much for your's and I agree with you , I should definitely talk to my doc.!

Thanks Patty!! Ya I thought the same thing.. she didn't given me ANY type of plan, Seemed like she didn't want to assist in anything weightloss ( details ) unless I purchased a plan.. the other plan she had was for 320.00 without the hcg and that was 4 visits, emails and phone calls if needed and then 100.00 after each month.. I was a bit disappointed.. I was ready to have my meals and all that planned out for me yesterday.. she is at my primary dr office also >< I'll do more research.

Destynee, the very reason you had lapband is to learn from your band for life. These 'fad' diets are just that and are temporary fixes. and to be quite frank why would anyone take a chance on having hormone injections to help you lose weight? isnt that why you had major surgery for?

Let your new band work for you hon, and you worry about all the 'healthy' foods you will be putting in your mouth that is going to help you get there....

I really can't believe you were given LBS and not given any dietary advise! That stinks!

I really can't believe you were given LBS and not given any dietary advise! That stinks!

I am shocked to Maddy! I was given almost a book.. this is totally unexcusable!

**inexcusable** sorry typo

I am shocked to Maddy! I was given almost a book.. this is totally unexcusable!

I was give a pamphlet and enough info to fill a 3 ring notebook .

I'm really sorry Destynee that you didn't get that, but I know everything will work out and you'll find the right Nut to help you and you will succeed. xoxoxoxoxo

I was to like the above I haven't seen her since (3 mo) and I am doing great on weight loss and learning what to eat. This sounds like a scam or something you might do if u didn't get a band. Work with the band for 6 mos and then see if you need this kind of help

thanks all for your heartfelt advise! and you all are so right.. I did get a small pamphlet.. that was it, Was never told how many calories, carbs I should stay under etc.. so I've just used common sense and kind of following what I see you all are doing lol. It has been working. I just really wanted to see a nutritionist and talk with someone and have something detailed written out for me. I will continue to look! again thanks so much ladies! <3