Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worry About Failing

Decided to start looking into lap band a few months ago. Since then I've started the process. Seen my surgeon, went to the information seminar, had a sleep study (and have sleep apnea). I'm scheduled for an EGD, psych eval, support group visit and nutrition class. It seems like I'll be ready to submit to insurance in January.

I really want WLS and to be successful. But I'm struggling. I am on a doctor supervised diet for 3 months and I'm failing at it. I feel like I have no will power, I'm always hungry and eating the wrong things. When I read all the stories on this site it makes me feel that I have no willpower compared to others. How can I make myself follow these rules and stop compulsively eating?

This process is opening my eyes to just how detrimental my weight is to my health and quality of life. It's starting to really get me down.

Commit to change your life, not just your diet. Eat what was prescribed on your pre-op and find other things to do with your mind. Start a new hobby, walk around the block, drink SF drinks to fill you up! You can do it, we have all been where you are now! Your health is the most important thing you can give yourself!

Hi Pinkcess,

We all struggle and we all have to use our willpower when making 'good' food choices. The band does not make you stop over eating and it does not make food choices, you do. Now, the band will help you, but you are going to have to help it too in order for it to work.

As you read through the threads and come across our weight losses, you will wonder how we all did it. Well, to be honest we have to push ourselves and fight every single day to stay on track and help this band to work for us.

You can do this! You are not alone in the way you think and feel, believe me! I went from eating alll day long around the clock to eating just 3 meals a day, sometimes a snack. Once you put your mind to it you, it will work for you. Plan out your daily menu, track your foods now so that you will be use to doing this once you start on solid foods. Get use to planning and tracking. Follow your Diet that was giving to you and make it work for you.

There are free apps you can download to your phone, I like to use LOSEIT, but there are several like MYFITNESSPAL , both are great food trackers and its super easy to use.

Also, another thing that can be helpful is just by coming to this site and read, learn, educate, and familarize yourself with the lapband. There are so many of us out there that are willing to help!

Best of luck! YOU can do this!!!!

I am going to be pretty blunt.... If you want to be thin, healthy and have a long life you need to find the will power to make it happen. I had A LOT of weight to lose and the number was staggering in my head.... I had to take it 10 lbs at a time. I wanted it more than anything so I sacrificed eating and drinking whatever I wanted to get the end result. I am here to tell you it was worth every second. i noticed results immediatly and 23 months of sacrifice to get something I wanted my entire life is a drop in the bucket.

Best wishes as you consider your options.

I definitely agree with Chez. Sugarfree options have helped me when I have had cravings for sweets. For example, sugarfree popsicles, drinks, etc. Also, when I have had a hankering for chocolate, Jello has refrigerated sf chocolate mousse cups that are 60 calories each. I was able to satisfy my "urge" and not sabbotage my eating. Also, one thing that has helped me is finding healthier versions of some of my fave foods. On Emilybites.com there are many alternate recipes for ones we love now. I made her lasagna cupcakes that are made w/ wonton wrappers in a cupcake pan and they are delicious yet healthy. Healthy eating doesn't have to be bland or boring.

Finding distractions as she mentioned helps too! Many of us (me) eat when we are bored. Lastly, if you are eating out order from the low cal menu that many restaurants have. They are usually pretty tasty or omit excess calories by skipping the cheese and mayo on sandwiches, etc. Some fat free oil dressing for me adds flavor w/out the fat and calories. You would be amazed how little tweaks can make a big difference in calories w/out jeopardizing flavor.

Good luck to you! We have all been there which is what made us need/want WLS in the first place. It isn't easy but your health and happiness is sooo worth it!

I really thank everyone for their advice! It has helped just to be "heard"! I am going to start drinking sugar free drinks to help fill me up and really really try to make better choices. I think that for right now I'm going to have to take this one hour at a time.... lol. Oh and maybe now is a great time to get started on all those little hobbies I wanted to try... Crochet and yoga... And crystal lite... Hmmm

I think that for right now I'm going to have to take this one hour at a time.... lol.

and there is nothing wrong with that. whatever works for you!! I used to take it 10 lbd at a time... but really it was one meal at a time.

I'm on the supervised diet right now as well and I find myself slipping and struggling to make the right choices. It's hard. But I think the most important thing is when you do slip up and eat the wrong thing, don't let it ruin your whole day or week. Get back on the proverbial horse and make your next choice a better one. Best of luck to you!

Trust me, all of us once felt the way that you do right now. And some days, we still do.

WLS is a lifelong commitment, but if you think of "forever" it can be pretty overwhelming. I take it one meal at a time. Before I put anything in my mouth, I think about if I am really hungry and if I can make a better food choice. You don't have to be perfect but you do have work hard to reach your goal.

Make yourself a priority... you are worth it!

pinkcess--

I don't buy the idea that most of us don't have any willpower -- but I do buy the idea that for different reasons -- we have all been powerless to control our habits around food. Dasiychains 7 is right ---- we ALL have gone though the same feelings/habits you are going through now. That's why we got the band. And others are right too --- that the band is no magic bullet but for most people (not all) it sure does help an awful lot! I keep remembering what my surgeon told me when I got the band. He said, "getting the band is like bulding a soap box for a soap box derby. We go to the top of the hill (of your weight) and I can use the band to give you a good hard push down the hill. It works beautiful/very easy for about half the trip down the hill. But when you get about half way down - your gotta start peddling like crazy to get all the way to the bottom of the hilll." I think of that a lot because that is exacty the way I found it to be. For the first half of the ride down -- the band should seriously cut those cravings out. It's amazing but you will suddenly find your self-control. Go for it!

Overeaters Anonymous is a great support group. Think win and you will!