Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help - How Do You Know If U Need An Unfill?

So, I got a 3rd fill Monday afternoon of .75 on my 14 cc band. Already had 8 cc's filled prior to this.

I had 1/2 cup of small strips of beef & brocolli last night & at lunch today. It took me about an hour to eat each time. After a few bites I could feel the pressure in my chest, so I would stop eating. It eventually goes away with PB (productive burps). I know I"m eating slowly & smaller pieces.

Do I need an unfill? :(

Well first, you should never eat longer than 20-30 minutes max per meal. Any longer than that you are risking eating around the band.

Is it possible your bites aren't small enough? My nutritionist said the bites should be no bigger than your fingernail, chewed until mush, and pause between bites.

Also keep in mind your stomach may still be swollen and irritated from the fill, too.

YOu need an unfill when you can not pass Fluid or solid food. You need to do what Missy said, cut the food up smaller and chew, chew, chew. No bite should ever be of the old normal size. I eat for 20 minutes and stop. Your brain catches up with the stomach if you do this.

Gosh, I don't know why I can't seem to get this straight. I was banded in mid- August. I mean, I'm losing weight but geez.

So, what if you don't finish your 1/2 cup of food in those 20 minutes? Do you just stop eating anyway?

Gosh, I don't know why I can't seem to get this straight. I was banded in mid- August. I mean, I'm losing weight but geez.

So, what if you don't finish your 1/2 cup of food in those 20 minutes? Do you just stop eating anyway?

Yes, essentially. I personally stick to 1 cup portions (as recommended by doctor) and whatever's left goes in the trash if I haven't finished it within a half hour.

Thanks everyone, I'll just eat within that 20-30 minute time frame, and no more.

As always, appreciate my fellow bandsters help :rolleyes:

I'm very sensitive so I do 1-3 days liquid to mushies after each fill. I personally have trouble with broccoli it just makes me pb every time, might try other foods for a bit and see?

I'm very sensitive so I do 1-3 days liquid to mushies after each fill. I personally have trouble with broccoli it just makes me pb every time, might try other foods for a bit and see?

I tried to eat 1/2 an omlette with a little bit of hash browns tonight for dinner. Had a tough time with that too. Had PB's almost right away. I'm going to have to really focus & pay attention to my bite size. Maybe I'm really not eating bites the size of my pinky finger nail? Hum, I'm staring at my pinky nail.... I'm not, I'm really not... :(

Excellent question and feedback. I was just banded on11/2/12. I have had an issue with taking the same bites I did before surgery and it doesn't work.

I would try liquid or soft you might have swelling. eggs are also on my no list, maybe try something not so dry or fibrous as broc. I know we are all different but that's my 2 cents :)

Sounds like you moved to solids too soon. I was told 24 he's liquid and 24 hours mushies

my dobermans love to wait for their momma (me) to eat as they know they get something from me every day when i stop at 20 min.

Yep... stop at 20 minutes and TINY TINY bites. Even eggs will stick after a fill... no don't ask me how I know this! liquids 24 hours and soft 24 hours is very important to allow the irritation a fill will give you around the band!