Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back from the Hospital-Lost my band

people responding don't realize, I won't feel better in a few day since this has been going on for 6 months. I could eat solids carefully after 5 weeks and followed doctor's orders precisely. It seemed to get worst a month later, but I realized that if I ate something hot or very cold before a meal I would be alright. Then it became worst and I could only eat solids with Water washing it down and small bite, with 30-40 chews. Then 50-60 chews...then I couldn't eat solids unless I mixed it with Water before swallowing it. I hadn't even had a fill and it had been 4 months and no wieght loss and the caloric intake was getting worse.

I saw a doctor for advice and he said he could give me a fill or take Fluid out since 2ccs were given at the time of the procedure in Sept. I said fill it to the max. The doctor said live on fluids for two weeks and your esophogus should heal and you should be fine with carefully eating solids, but it just got worse, then the fainting spells started. I took out all the liquid 1 1/2 months later, but the ability to eat hasn't changed. In fact it is getting worst. I now sometimes choke on soy milk in the morning and have to slowly work with it. I have to chew all pills, Vitamins, and slowly work with it in the morning to be able to eat a bowl of liquified oatmeal. It took me 2 hours this morning, but I finally got it down.

I have also had a glass of "green drink" which is reconstitued herbs and two swallows of juice today. It is almost 5pm. This is how things go everyday and it is now 7 months since banding. I am shaky and weak and scared for my life literally.

please let me know if anyone has experienced anything like this. I am looking at taking out the band. I was banded at the same time my sister was banded and she had a terrible slippage and almost died. She elected to have her band removed. Dr. Hansen in Utah removed it, and said it was the worst he had ever seen. My sister went 8 days without food or liquid. She survived by living on IVs since my brother is a doctor and she is a RN.

I know that my situation may not be related to my sister's. My radiologist says my band looks good. I believe that my sister ate too soon and then she later choked on a Calcium pill. She went to emergency and the pill was forced through without informing them of her surgery (since she worked there and hadn't told anyone about her surgery in Mexico). She hemmoraged for days and was really in a mess.

I believe that you need to know there are cases out there where this procedure has been dangerous. Obesity is also very dangerous for your health. Just know both sides before electing to do this surgery. My sister and I are not over 200 lbs, but I was approaching it.

Shanna

I don't know what i would do if I was in your position. Maybe i would try to stop eating altogether! I definately would keep exercising and I would definately cry all the time.

Take heart, you are almost near your goal weight. You have done great so far. Keep exercising and eating right. I wonder if the adhesions on your stomach will kind of act like a band and limit your intake. Let us know how you are doing

Best wishes

Shanna: I know your pain. I completely understand your feelings right now. It just sucks. Take this time to grieve and to develop a plan of action to keep the weight off. Remember and use the band rules in your mealtime.

I am just so heartsick for you. I know the pain. HUGS SHANNA!!

Singer: I sent you a PM. I suggest you start a whole new thread and repost your situation so that people can respond directly to your concerns and this thread doesn't get hijacked. I will pray for you as well.

Thanks you to you all for your well-wishes and prayers. I'll try to answer all your questions. If I forget something - just ask again or pm me and I'll try to get back to you.

Xann - What caused it? He doesn't know - I think I had been slowly slipping (if that's possible) through the last few months, because I've had a lot of unfills January/March - look at my signature. Then I think it completely slipped. That's when I got so nauseous I thought I had a stomach flu - but it ended up being the slip that caused the nauseousness, throwing up, inability to eat/drink.

Paula - Ya, you're correct. 59 lbs would have been totally impossible without the band for me. I had yo-yo'd so much through the years. I'm gonna try to keep the ball rolling...

Mayra - I emailed you

Diane - I think I answered most of your questons in Xann's note. I think your port pain was associated with moving things - your port is sewn into muscle so you probably pulled a muscle while working. Nothing to be concerned about. Yes, your dr. will be able to see everything clearly on fluoroscopy.

Singer1 - I'm so sorry you're having such problems. I don't know anything about what you're going through. Maybe post your questions on a new thread under lapband complications and see if anyone there knows what's going on with you. I'll be thinking about you and praying all goes well for you.

Penni - Thanks so much for your encouragement and pm. Your a doll!

Laura - that's so funny - just stop eating. The problem is I'm so hungry because I haven't eaten without pain in litterally 3 months! I'm just going to concentrate on not trying to "make up for lost time"

Shanna,

I feel so sad for you!!! You have lost a good amount of weight! ( you shuld be proud of that)

Take time to heal and mourn the band loss.

((((hugs))))

Shanna, I'm so sorry to hear about the removal of your band. All I have to off is hugs and support. I wish you a speedy recovery from the surgery and the loss of the band.

Big Hugs!

oh my gosh! Shanna - gellergirl here from your march visit to dr kuri! i can't believe it - a little inflammation turned into a slipped band! i could see how much you were suffering though and am just happy that you are not in pain anymore - it seemed to be too much and thank goodness it has been resolved! That's the blessing!

Please give yourself a chance to heal before worrying about how you are going to manage - i'm sure you will do well!

you look beautiful (and were an inspiration to me), i hope you are proud of yourself!

all the best!

Because you went to Mexico to have your band placed you didn't have any of the tests required in the states. I have a heart condition and suffer from the symptoms you describe, but I'm not even banded yet. You could have had a problem going into the surgery, as heart palpitations are certainly not a common side-effect of banding. I've never heard of this happening before. Have your seen your GP about your heart? Get an EKG taken...have some tests run. I have had to have all types of pre-op testing for the past 6 mo. in order to get approved for the band, and lots and lots of tests on my heart. I am a heart bypass patient. Even with the bypass, it doesn't fix anything having to do with the electrical components of the heart, so I still suffer from irregular beats and arrhythmias. I think that is what is happening to you, and I don't think it has anything to do with the band itself. You need to get yourself checked out. I'm not sure how many calories you should be taking in a day, because I haven't seen the nutritionist or band surgeon yet, but I'm sure someone here can help you with that. It doesn't seem like many calories to me.

If you are truly afraid for your life you need to run not walk to the nearest ER with your symptoms. Good luck to you.

Gallergirl - thank you for the compliments. Even if I don't lose 1 more pound it will have been worth it. I just want to maintain and maybe lose a little more in the future.

Dody - I did have an EKG before surgery. It is a requirement by Dr. Kuri. My heart is fine, so don't worry. It was the band slippage that caused my problems. Thanks for your concern.

Thanks to everyone with there well-wishes. My stomach is not sour any more (thank God) and my nausea is gone (yea). Except for the surgery pain, I'm feeling much better.

Shanna, I'm so sorry that they weren't able to replace your band. (((HUGS))) You are such a sweetheart, on here answering other people's questions about their issues. You must be exhausted. Rest up - I hope you feel better soon!

Oh, Shanna.

I am so, so, so sorry. ((( HUGS ))) are inadequate, but it is all I can offer.

You'll be able to handle it eventually, but I understand how painful this is for you now.

Just take it day by day....

It has been pointed out to me that my comment to Dody lacked the "context" that Dr. Pleatman's comment to Dody--which I quoted--contained. And that MY comment was insulting because of the lack of context. Therefore, I am editing to add context.

I am not only appalled at the inaccuracy of the Mexico-bashing that has been offered--by someone with no experience at having surgery in Mexico--I am offended by the negative comments regarding Mexican surgeons, Mexican hospitals, and Mexican pre-op procedures. It would be just as offensive to me if someone--with absolutely no experience at all in utilizing Italian surgeons or Italian hospitals were engaging in bashing Italian doctors and Italian hospitals, without ever having used either. I suspect it's because I'm Mexican-American and Italian-American. But I am also offended because the statements have been so far out in left field, that it would take an Iditarod team to track down their alleged sources. To wit: the comment I quoted below.

This was not written in order to attack Dody as a person, but to attack the relentless onslaught of misinformation she has presented as fact, as pointed out by Dr. Pleatman and others. I certainly have no grudge against Dody and have no interest in upsetting her. But I DO have an interest in challenging false, misleading, inaccurate statements, especially those which hit a little too close to home for comfort.

Because you went to Mexico to have your band placed you didn't have any of the tests required in the states.

Dr. Pleatman wrote: "You should preface all your remarks with the disclaimer, "I'm not a doctor and I don't know what I'm talking about."

link: http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16279&page=3&highlight=what+I%27m+talking+about

You might want to add: "And I've never had surgery in Mexico, either."

Shanna - so sorry for your band loss - but on the flip side very happy that you were able to lose the amount of weight you did. Try to think of that when you get really sad - that it wasn't in vain. Take care

Shanna, I lost my band on March 8th due to slippage. Just remember that we have learned new eating habits that the band has taught us. I still stay away from breads and carbonation. I have gained 1 pound since February 20th when I had my last fill. It is possible to maintain and still lose. I feel and know your pain so if I may be any help to you, please feel free to pm me. Me and Penni keep in contact and I know she encouarges me, so maybe I can do the same for you. Is there a chance that you will get rebanded?