Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh My! Should I Really Hand Over This Pile Of Cash For This?

I have been on here for a few months. I was told originally, back in July, that my insurance was going to pay for my surgery. After going through all of the classes and nutritionist appointments and psych appointments it was discovered two days before my scheduled surgery, two weeks ago, that my insurance had added an "exclusion" to my policy. There is now no way that insurance will cover any part of my surgery. The surgeon's office has been very sympathetic and has worked out a payment plan for me to self pay with five grand down and 300 a month. Do-able but difficult.

We are a barely middle-class family. I cashed out part of a 401K to get the cash and am charging some on my mother's credit card My final pre-op appointment is now on Monday and I will have to turn over all of the cash. I am thinking of all the other things I should spend this money on. Christmas mainly, or a vacation for the kids, paying down some credit, or the second car that could die anyday now. I am thinking of all the people i have known and heard about that have lost significant weight on their own. My sister, whom I am very close to, was never as heavy as I, she looks spectacular, and she never had to spend so much to get there.... maybe 50 bucks on work out tapes. Heck she sure could use this five thousand dollars that I am looking at.What if I spend all of this money and I still fail to lose the weight? I will feel so badly that I didn't use the money for something for the kids.

I have a condition that wears my kneecaps away gradually and have been told that I will need kneecap replacement eventually. I have been using that condition as my primary excuse for the surgery. Losing my extra weight is the best thing I could do for my knees. My BMI is 41. I am 35. I have 80 pounds to lose. If I made myself miserable for a year I could probably do it on my own, but I would probably gain it back. I am so tired of thinking about this. I am so tired of trying to decide what is the right thing to do. I am so tired of being overweight and tired. I am also tired of being broke and this money would give us a cushion for the next few months at least.....

I think if I had been told back in July that insurance would never cover surgery, I would never have considered it further. But now after immersing myself into the possibility, watching countless youtube videos, buying new size 8 jeans, and reading here, i have gotten excited about the prospect of really succeeding long term. Discovering two days before surgery that I needed to abandon the possibility forced me to figure out a way to self pay that i never would have even considered before. Should I just go back to that mindset and forget about it? Sometimes that seems like the smartest thing to do. Just scrap these last three months and go back to thinking it is not even an option.

Goodness, I sound like a rambling idiot. Sorry.

Its time to worry about your self and not think about what else you could do with the money.You are buying yourself more time in this life being a healthy person. I had my surgery just one year ago and it has been very worth it. I can't lie and say its been easy but 100% worth it! Don't back out now.. Best wishes for your success!

I was self paid and the thing that helped me make the decision is that I hope this surgery will help me keep it off. I just turned 35 not too long ago and I want this to be the last time. I've lost weight over and over, and it just keeps coming back and more comes back each time. Another thing to take into consideration is maybe try calling your tax adviser because if your medical expenses go over a certain percentage of your income, you get more back on your taxes and my point is that the cost may actually be cheaper than the total you are looking at paying.

thers always Mexico, hers a post I saw:

My surgery is scheduled for nov 12th with Dr. Almanza. Was wondering if any of u have had surgery recently with dr.Almanza?? How was your experience and any tips for me?? Little nervous about going to Mexico but I'm self pay so...

#2 whitedobe

Posted Today, 2:00 PM

I had my surgery with him Aug. 30. He doesn't speak much English, and we didn't have a whole lot of conversation. He asked me if I liked the Angels, and I said I was more of a Chargers/football fan. I was the first one in the group to be taken for surgery, and the only one getting lapband. The next thing I knew, I woke up feeling great and it was all over. The only thing to be prepared for, though, is that they really don't have that many people that speak English. Oh, I was all done by about 11:30 a.m., and just kicked back the rest of the day. Good luck!

Laura

With your health I just think its not a frivoulous. You can work two jobs later to m,ake it up. I view xmas preents as frivolous. Jesus is the reason for the season. DO THIS FOR YOURSELF. I Have heard that down the road lap band can have unforseen co,plications, as opposed to some other procedures that are a little more expensive. Im just considering way down the road for ya. Good luck on whatever you decide. Dont fell guilty. Its a medical decision, and No denial is not a river in Egypt. I know exactly what Im saying and its just my opinion! Sandy

Go for a walk with yer kids, bike with them whatever. THATS what thye need and want from Mom, wih a FEW presents! Mine doent even remember what he got as a kid and he was spoiled rotten with presents. BIG IMPRESSION! NOT!

First, you don't sound like a rambling idiot at all. You sound like a woman who's torn between taking care of others or taking care of yourself.

I can only speak for myself, but if I were in your shoes, I'd get the surgery. It's a lot of work but it's an amazing tool. Plus, by losing weight and getting healthy you will be taking better care of your family too. They need you to stick around, not die too soon due to obesity related diseases. Not to mention your knees alone is a huge reason to go forward with the surgery.

At the end of the day, only you can decide what's best for you. But you owe it to yourself and your family to be the healthiest you that you can be.

Best wishes on whatever you decide.

Oh and for your knees, optimally after you have lost the weight, there is a cutting edge procedure that is now covered by many insurance companies, but few know about it that Im aware of.

Its called "platelet rich plasma (PRP) injections" and my neurologist does them. Many famous sports figures have had these shots and they literally encourage your body to repair itself in the area where the shot is administered.

When and if I can isolate EXACTLY where the shot will give me the most benefit, I myself plan on getting them. It usually takes one or two shots at the most to completely cure the injured area.

I encourage anyone to do research that has ligament, joint and muscular pain from injury or disease. The cost is high, but when insurance helps, its not so much. Its well worth it, I cant say enough good things about these shots as they have literally saved live/careers!

Sincerely, Sandy

well my question is can you afford not to

Would I do it again?? in a heartbeat now that I am on the otherside I would tell you that. But I surely can understand your dilema. It's like a car payment without the car. But what are you willing to sacrifice to get what you want, This is no picnic it's work and it's not magic it doesn't happen overnight so just go in knowing that.

Things for the kids... well my oldest is 44 and my baby is 36 and let me tell you they got lots of stuff.... but what they remember is popcorn movie nights, my being at their games, all of us cuddled together in our quilts on cold winter nights, christmas caroling and hot chocolate at our house after. Their frends wanting to be at our house.. Today They call me to share every good thing and every tough thing a couple times a week even though we are 1500 miles apart and thats the stuff you give your kids that matters and That is the stuff the kids need so take them off the table as a reason to not have the surgery.

You are not your sister so don't compare yourself to her, I am sure she has a different life then you. And personally I am scared of Mexico but that is just me....Best ofn Luck to you whatever you decide...

I say go for it.. You'd rather spend this money now to get fit and healthy, so you can enjoy your future with your children and be able to play with them and raise them and enjoy your time with them.. I borrowed $12,700 to pay for my surgery as I don't have health insurance.. I'm a social worker so I don't make that much money as it is.. I also have a child on the way lol.. Don't worry bout the money, being healthy and enjoying life with your family is much more important.. Go for it!!

Thanks guys! I am always so pleasantly surprised at how much better this forum makes me feel sometimes. I wouldn't know one of you walking down the street, but i have often gotten emotional reading your words of support and encouragement on this forum.

The boys can live without the latest Lego kit this season. I hope that they would rather I be able to go on any hiking trail next time we go camping (we had to avoid the step ones this summer), or they want to go to the Water park next summer (I couldn't muster the confidence to go this year, and they begged) I have decided to go forward today. I began thinking of all the stupid things i have spent money on already in my life.....this purchase surely can't be as regrettable as those pleather pants I had in college... or that time I called a psychic for four hours...or Hello Kitty car seat covers... or how bout all the money my husband spends on smokes? and that is having the opposite effect,

Thursday 9:30 is my day. Here I go. Thanks again to all of you.

I believe that those who have to sacrifice take this process more seriously. I am so happy you have decided to take care of yourself. I have decided to stop saying Good Luck because Luck has nothing to do with this ,so Best wishes that you find the same strength to perservere and next summer you will be so happy with your decision...

Sounds likr you decided to make an investment in your health. Congratulations. I am self pay and did exactly that.... and went through the same struggles you did when forking over 10k.

I do not regret it for a second.

Now is the time to follow the Dr's orders and help the band help you! Best of luck.

Yay for loving yourself enough to take care of you for a change. I completely understand what it is like to always put the family before you but sometimes YOU do have to come first.

Follow all the rules, come here for support and get ready for a new life :)