Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded June 5- Down 47 Lbs Since Surgery But Frustrated

I have had 3 fills in a 11cc band and think I'm at 7.5 or 8cc and nurse practitioner I work with isnt overly thrilled with idea of more fills. I have lost a lot of weight but feel frustrated its not more- anyone else feel that way? For the most part I follow the rules my dr gave me- no drinking for one hour after eating, trying to only eat every 4 hours but I do cheat here and there- Halloween wasnt easy and I try to exercise and will do 4-5 times one week and none the next with kids schedules. Now reading what I write I can see its my fault I'm not losing more but its harder than I expected. I thought I wouldnt get hungry and it seems after 2 hours I'm hungry again, I try to drink Crystal Light when this happens and then ask myself if I'm still hungry and I seem to be. Ggggggrrrrrrr.....Just frustrated and need to stay on track- hoping to be at 100lbs lost by next june and hoping to run a 5k in the spring.....

Thanks for letting me vent!

Weight loss is hard work no matter how you do it. WLS is supposed to make it easier, but it doesn't make it automatic.

I know you're anxious to get rid of the excess weight as fast as possible (aren't we all?) but you're actually doing very well. 47 lbs lost since June 5 works out to a loss of 2.35 lbs/week. The average weight loss with the band is 1-2 lbs/week, so I think you need to give yourself credit for the great success you're having so far.

Have you asked the NP specifically why she's reluctant to give you another fill? Have you told her you're getting hungry 2 hours after eating? Have you tried keeping a food log (so you can verify just how much and what you're eating)? Are you avoiding slider foods and liquid calories? The early and prolonged satiety that the band is meant to provide won't happen after eating soft and slider foods. solid food (animal Protein, non-starchy veggies, fruit, etc.) does that trick.

Jean is so right on target. I had set a goal to be at goal by one year and guess what I did not make it. Was it a realistic goal, NO! I lost very good in the beginning and I rarely ate anything that i was not suppose to but my weight lose stalled some where between 8-9 months and I sat at the same weight for several months. This was when I really got serious about the exercise, I like you would do good one week and not so good the next and I started writing everything down I ate and taking with me to see my doctor and dietitian. This helped me to really focus on making healthier choices and knowing exactly where I needed to do better. It took me 2 years to get to my goal and the last 30 lbs were the hardest and took me the longest. This is a life style change and a journey, just stay focused and make healthy choices and you will reach goal.

You are doing excellent with your weight loss! Congradulations on that. I remember when I exercised it really got easier, even addictive the more I did it. Hang tough, and concentrate on your excellent things, not so much the "perceived" negatives. It really is just a perception, from yer numbers. What I mean to say Is that is whatI would do. Good luck, great job, and an ATTA GAL!! whoot whoot, and whoo hoo! Sandy

I was banded in Oct 2011 and also set my goal of 100 pounds in one year. Guess what? I did not make it. I stil have 15 pounds to go and my Dr has said that this is always the hardest pounds to lose. I swear my body is just being stuborn and when I get ready to go the Dr it says "oh no we need to lose!" and Uusualy I do, only a couple of pounds but it is a loss. Most people do not make goal in one year so you are right on track. Take your positves and pat yourself on the back because you are doing a good job!!

If you are exerciseing you should not have any problems running a 5k next spring. I ran my first one in Aug of this year (2012). I was extremely slow but I did it!! You just have to start slow by walking and moving up to the running part. A good program is the C25K. Free and easy to follow, check it out.

It does not matter if you have to walk part of that 5K just do it. You will be so hooked and thankful that you did.

Patience is all you need and motovation. Good luck.

Thanks everyone! I am pretty hard on myself and I do cheat often lately it seems. Today is a new day though and back on track. My nurse practitioner says they dont like to fill over 80% of the band, seems kinda like a crock to me. I said I love the week after a fill because I know exactly when to quit eating and i'm not hungry for hours and she said that is just because of swelling and I shouldnt be striving for that feeling all the time, that its not about restriction but feeling full. I guess I dont mind that feeling and I make better food choices because I know I have restriction and have to get my Vitamins but she is the expert, not me. I do myfitnesspal.com and stay pretty religious to it- i try to stay under a 1000 calories but lots of times end up at about 1200. I had gained a bit of weight back but now back to 46 lbs lost again. Exercise is the key, everyone is right about that! Thanks for the encouragement though! I needed it.

HUGS To ya! Go Girl! Sandy

You are doing really, really, great. Don't be so hard on yourself. When we set unrealistic goals for ourselves that's when we beat ourselves up. Just know that when it's all said and done you will have accomplished your goals, not only for weight loss but everything else in your life. Take one day at a time and your frustration will subside. Good luck.

I was also banded in June and have lost 45 pounds since surgery. I too am kind of stuck right now. My weight has been bouncing around for the last 3 weeks instead of constant loss. Maybe this is normal? I guess our bodies are in shock at first and then it gets used to the much smaller amount of food? I suddenly can put down way more food than I should be able to. I am hoping that when I get a fill next week things will change. I'm watching my calories closer and hitting the gym hard! I signed myself up for Warrior Dash in April. Bring it!

We can do this!!!!!!

I was banded June 8th and I am also stalling out. For me my old ways snuck back in at four months post-op. Halloween was not kind! I have lost 54 lbs since post-op. I still have 130 to go. I feel like it wont happen for me.

Also, my dietician says I should be able to go 4-5 hours between meals; however, she advises me to have a snack in between (fruit, low fat cheese stick, nuts, etc) something healthy. I was finding it difficult to go that long and the small snack does the trick. Also, by maintaining that full feeling by having a small snack, I don't overeat as I can't even if I wanted to. You may want to try incorporating a small snack.

The key she advised me though is to have a small planned snack. By planning it, it helps to keep you from grazing, you have it on hand and are more likely to choose a healthier alternative instead of reaching for whatever is available. Perhaps that would help. Also, I wonder if upping your calories a wee bit may help.

My doctor and several people I have seen on this site were advised 1000-1200 calories. It's been working for me.

I also have added walking and Zumba into my regime. I don't keep up with it religiously but do it as able and trying to incorporate it more.

Good luck to you and as others have said, give yourself credit that you are doing well. We are all eager to drop the weight and when losing a couple pounds a week it feels slow sometimes. You are doing a great job!!! Now get that Halloween candy out of the house!!! :) If it isn't there you can't eat it!

Thanks for all the responses! I have not been keeping on track like I should but I"m working on it!

Crazy what you say Dawn, my nurse practitioner told me today to eat between 1000 - 1200 calories a day and that should be optimal for weight loss.

I got a fill today- a whole 1cc! And she said come back in a couple weeks if I dont think its doing it. She also mentioned they are finding that a lot of people with the 11 cc band that I have are needing it tighter than she expected- I dont know if she didnt know this before or what but I'm excited. I also got in 4 days of exercise so far this week and hope to go tomorrow and Sat too!

Thanks for all the support, I'm excited about this journey and I know its unrealistic to expect overnight or even over a few months- like I have read before- it took more than a few months to put the weight on so it will take a while for it to come off!

And luckily the kids must have eaten the candy because its no where to be seen for the past two weeks! I think it only lasted the weekend after thank goodness.