Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bruise With 3Rd Fill

Just now finding my bruise to be going away after almost 2 weeks. When I obtained my fill the needle was very rough going in seemed to pull at my port and really hurt! I am almost afraid the practitioner my have done some damage to my port! I have not had a prior experience like this! It was a bit upsetting and I may change my fill location. Has anyone had an experience like this?

Yes, I did. In fact, I just posted about it a few days ago. I am not going back to the same person. I requested my surgeon for the next time because he did it the first time and it was smooth and painless. I know just how you feel. The second fill, which was not with my surgeon, was painful and there was a lot of rough poking and pushing and the needle even broke on the first attempt! I would request someone else to do the fill like I did. I don't think it should ever be that unpleasant. Good luck!

I always bruise after a fill, but I bruise easily. I have only had one bad episode with an unfill and they could not get into my part and stuck me 10 plus times. I no longer allow them to fill or unfill my band with the x-ray. I will not go through that pain ever again.

I always bruise after a fill, but I bruise easily. I have only had one bad episode with an unfill and they could not get into my part and stuck me 10 plus times. I no longer allow them to fill or unfill my band with the x-ray. I will not go through that pain ever again.

Just curiously, since you insisted on the fluoroscopy for fills, does your insurance cover that or do you have to pay out of pocket?

Sometimes this happens. It doesn't matter how experienced the Dr is.

It is easy to hit a small blood vessel and that will lead to bruising. Having it done under fluoro probably won't make a difference to anything except the cost.

The last fill I had my Dr had to manipulate the needle quite a bit once it was in to get the right spot. That was unusual as he always tells me how easy to find my port is, but even if the port is easy to find it is necessary to pierce the membrane correctly so that the fill goes into the correct place. It was uncomfortable lying there with him moving the needle around but it wasn't unbearable and I did not bruise afterwards. You would have thought that doing this would cause a bruise especially on me as I bruise really easily but it didn't.

Bruising does not mean the Dr does not know what they are doing it just means that on that occasion the Dr was unlucky and hit a blood vessel.

Sometimes this happens. It doesn't matter how experienced the Dr is.

It is easy to hit a small blood vessel and that will lead to bruising. Having it done under fluoro probably won't make a difference to anything except the cost.

The last fill I had my Dr had to manipulate the needle quite a bit once it was in to get the right spot. That was unusual as he always tells me how easy to find my port is, but even if the port is easy to find it is necessary to pierce the membrane correctly so that the fill goes into the correct place. It was uncomfortable lying there with him moving the needle around but it wasn't unbearable and I did not bruise afterwards. You would have thought that doing this would cause a bruise especially on me as I bruise really easily but it didn't.

Bruising does not mean the Dr does not know what they are doing it just means that on that occasion the Dr was unlucky and hit a blood vessel.

I completely agree that some bruising is normal and can't be helped, and that bruising in and of itself isn't reason to label a doctor or practicioner inexperienced. However, on a separate note, as with any medical procedure, (blood draws for example), I also think there are definitely some personnel more experienced and good at what they do than others. Example: Some phlebotomists take several tries to find a vein, and others get it on the first try. I assume the same variance is possible with fills. It is definitely a skill and not all practicioners are equally skilled. (I can attest to this after years of working in hospitals!) :)

I think that it comes down to patient comfort. If someone isn't comfortable with the person doing the fills, they should request someone else. No need for added anxiety, right! lol

Thank you all for the advise...I will ask for another administrator next fill. All the pain from the severe poke of the needle which caused the bruise is enough for me to seek another professional.

My husband went with me the first time because he wanted to see how they did it. I was on the table not watching and other than the needle with the numbing agent, I felt NOTHING. The doctor has told me my port is a little deep, but so far he's been able to find it. He did have to move the needle around to get the right spot but I didn't feel a thing. I had a little bruise, but nothing bad or for very long. If your doctor is doing the fill without a numbing agent, ask for one.

Do you all get numbing stuff when they fill you? I never have.

My first fill I had a pen head size blood on the band aid my second fill bleed a whole lot. Has anyone had this much blood? Are different size needles used?

My dr always uses floro (X-ray) and a numbing agent. I get a small bruise and drop of blood. My insurance overs most of it. I usually end up paying $50 or so out of pocket. Before the Dr started doing floro with all fills, I only paid my copayment of $25.

I never had any bruising issues until last week. It's a round bruise but also below area it is so tender and sore. Hurts to bend down. Wondering if this happened to anyone else. Scared that something went wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

For me it was a hard puncture feeling like it was not a direct hit in the center of my port. I have no choice now but to go back to the same practitioner due to all others have left the practice. Wishing I had gone to another surgery center about now! Appointments are cancelled and remade often and it is getting very frustrating putting my time line behind for fills. Sorry, I just needed to vent! Thank you to all of my support system here I am always stopping in to check up on everyone here who are all very supportive and helpful! I have learned so much from this forum that has helped me in my journey!

I'm told that my port is attached on an "inferior" muscle and it "shifts" when the doctor attempts to put the needle in. Does anyone have this issue and what is done to make it easier to get fills?

Do you know of Doctors with fluoroscopes in their office so I don't have to pay to go to a hospital? I live in the Houston area.

My insurance will NOT pay for bariatric anything.

Ok it's been almost 2 weeks since my full and my doctor does them in the office. He had a hard time the first try and was good second time. It was a pinch not too bad. A few days after it was so tender and sore than I noticed a medium size bruise where the port is. Now after a week or more it still hurts and I must say its really bad. Have hard time bending over even sitting on the couch watching tv. Every once in awhile I get a pinch and a pain. It's not exactly where port is its below about a few inches down. Anyone experience this sort of pain? I called my doctors office last week and they said its normal when doctor cannot find port. Uggggg hurting!!!

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk