Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those Who Have Had The Band For A While I Need Some Advice/ Insight Please!!!!

Okay senior Bandsters. I need some advice. I was banded on the 11th of October, and I'm going into my third week. I'm a little concerned because I feel like I'm not getting enough Protein. I'm trying to stick to the 2-3 Protein Shakes a day with 2-3 1 cup meals (soft meals) but I'm finding it difficult. Right now it takes me 45 minutes to an hour to get down a Protein Drink with minimal air. By that time it only gives me two hours before I'm suppose to eat again but by that time I'm still not hungry. The funny thing is, all though I'm not eating much as soon as I started sorts I gained back two pounds (which I'm not stressed about, just found it weird). And my stomach always seem to be singing to me making all kinds of rumbling noises (not used to that). I'm hoping that I'm cleared to start exercising this week (had hernia repair somI had to take it easy) and maybe this will alleviate some of these issues. Lastly I'm exceptionally tired which I thought would subside by now. I'm a little scared about going back to work like this considering I work 12 hour shifts.

2 - 3 Protein shakes plus 2 - 3 meals sounds like a lot of food to me, generally if I have a Protein shake it is in place of a meal.

Rumbling is normal, it is something that you will eventually get used to. It is not a sign of hunger.

Tiredness can last a while, take it easy when you go back to work. Ask if you can go back on light duties for a while.

Once you're back an solid foods and are completely healed from surgery, it will get easier. I have a Protein shake for Breakfast then just be sure to have Protein with my lunch and dinner. I use an app called Lose It to track calories but it also tracks nutrients like protein. Very often, I'll even plan my day in the morning just to be sure I'll get my protein that day. If I find I'm low, I make adjustments as necessary.

I do agree with elcee, the protein shakes are more of a Meal Replacement than a meal addition. They generally run around 200 calories and can really add up if you're drinking them along with meals. This could even be where you gained back the 2 pounds from.

Finally, as far as fatigue, remember you're still not even a month post op. You may feel fine but you're body is still definitely healing. It's not at all uncommon to have bouts of fatigue even 4-8 weeks after surgery as your body continues to recover. People don't often realize it, but healing takes a lot of energy supplies. It will get better for you, it will just take a little time.

Best wishes to you.

I only have 1 shake and 1 cup of food a day. I have coffee too but sounds like u r trying to take in way too much for a new band. This is the time to heal and drop lbs at the same time. And by 3 wks i was walking 3 miles a day. I was weak and dizzy at first but pushed through it.

I agree that it sounds like you are consuming to much. If you are on solids than you don't need the shakes. Starting week three Day 15 I could have smooth Soup (8 oz) and 8oz of Greek yogurt (blended to mince the fruit) per meal. What mushies are you allowed and how are you preparing them? I was not allowed canned chicken/tuna until week 4 day 21. I prepared them with laughing cow cheese instead of mayo. Yes you are healing but this is also the time to learn new food habits. Low fat Laughing cow has a LOT less cals and fat than mayo.

Thanks soooo much for responding. I thought I was failing at this. I always felt like I was over-full & forcing myself to eat. @Honk I'm allowed to eat Soup, cottage cheese, fruit that is soft / canned in Water or light, and Greek yogurt. I can usually only manage to get 1 1/2 Protein Shakes down and maybe some cottage cheese & fruit & that's with trying to drink water.

I concur with the others. Seems like u eating to much the band is working if you get full quick. Honestly the first weeks after I was banded., I was lucky to consume 700 cals per day. Doc wasn't worried long as I got my Protein in. I lost 15 lbs 1st week. Ad also u don't wanna eat so much and stretch that band. Doc had me take it easy 1st weeks while band is healing around stomach. Trust me you'll enter bandsters hell soon enough where you wanna eat everything but kitchen sink and stomach be growling all the time

In the first month pr so after surgery, I used a whey powder Protein supplement to add to Soups, Cereal, casseroles etc to beef up the protein content of my meals. Relatively tasteless and didnt add extra volume to what i was consuming. Helped get the protein in when i had little appetite.