Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pregnant And Overwhelmed!

Hello all!

I'm pregnant for the first time and scared to death! I've researched pregnancy and birth for as long as I researched the lap band! Shortly after finding out I was pregnant, I went to see my lapband doctor for an unfill. I was scared to death he was going to tell me he wanted to do a complete unfill, but thankfully he did not! I don't think he would have taken any out if I didn't ask for it! I decided to get 4cc out of my band (half of my fill) to give the baby room to grow and hopefully allow me to NOT need to get any more unfills during my pregnancy because my new work insurance doesn't cover my band doctor....and neither does pregnancy medcaid! Sigh.

I'm 11 weeks and I've gained around 10 lbs so far. I'm worried sick I'm going to gain too much weight. I haven't reached my weight goal, I just got under 200 lbs, and I was 3 pounds from losing 100 lbs when I found out I was pregnant! I'm really nervous about my weight and the future, even though I know after the baby is born and I am done breast feeding, I can get my fills again...Any advice on not freaking out about every ppund I gain?

I also feel like I've totally let loose since my unfill and as soon as I got pregnant, I feel like I've forgotten everything I learned about eating healthy! HELP. Any advice on eating, coping, and when and where to buy maternity clothes would be great!

Out of curiosity, how would 4 cc of Fluid not give the baby enough room to grow? I've never researched pregnancy with the band as babies are no longer an option for me, so this has really piqued my interest.

Congratulations, by the way!

Congratulations on expecting a new baby! You should be fine, just eat healthy and do not over indulge. It is normal to gain some weight during pregnancy but you should not use this opportunity to make excuses to eat. The baby does need nutrients from your body but it does not need junk food so continue the healthy plan you were on and add some dairy to your daily menu. I have a co-worker who became pregnant 1 year after gastric bypass, she gained very little weight during her pregnancy because she continued to watch what she ate. She delivered 6 weeks ago and gained only about 20 lbs. She started out before surgery well over 350 lbs and was around 225 when she got pregnant. That last thing she wanted to do was gain her weight back, since delivery she has dropped half the weight and is well on her way to losing again. It can be done but you can not revert back to bad eating behaviors. Good luck and again congratulations.

first off congrats on your news, that is awsome.

Your lapband doctor and nurtional team should be able to guide you so youdon't balon durring your pregnancy but ain enoug weight to keep your obgyn happy.

Some need a complete unfil durring the vomit phase durring th first trimester. so talk wth your octors about what is best for you.

enjoy your pregnancy rest when tired and workout as your doctor allows.

Alli- all women are different when it comes to swelling and baby positions with the band. Some have to get a complete unfill at one point during pregnancy for one reason or another. I was already swelling at 8 weeks and eating was a struggle (I was miserable! Like bandster hell all over again!) so I had to get some out...I wanted to do less but I can't afford to get one cc out at a time since my insurance no longer covers my lapband appointments!

Did that make sense? Lol

Congrats!!! I am 14 weeks 5 days with and empty band ( not due to the pregnancy). It has been very hard telling myself I don't need all the delicious things I'm craving! But I am trying my best to stick to the healthy things the baby needs.

I have gained 3 pounds so far and its already bothering me. I know its normal and the baby is growing but I had just finished losing 60 pounds in 4 months right before I found out I was prego.

I hope not to gain more then 20 and ill just get a fill after my bundle of joy is here! :)

I'm aiming for not more than 25 lbs! Good luck!

Congrates on the exciting news.

I want to start off by saying there is nothing to worry about. I am also a first time mom and had my baby boy just 3 months ago. My Dr. recommened that I get completely unfill but then my baby dr. told me (after I got completely unfill) that I could of kept it..

I was scared to death when I found out about my pregnancy because I never really saw myself as a mothering type, but now that he is here I could not be more excited. Also getting back on my track to losing.weight because I am.going to have to be healthy to kept up witj him in the.future But a big good luck and happy blessing to you amd the baby..

Congrats on your pregnancy! I had a band baby back in 2011, and he is now a 30lbs, happy healthy 15 month old boy. I want to be honest with you, because I know that is what you're looking for as well as support, that type of weight gain this early on in your pregnancy is a little much. The time where you should be gaining more weight is at the end of your 2nd trimester beginning your 3rd. I had to have most of my Fluid removed around the same time you did in my pregnancy, because I felt "stuck" every time I ate and I ended up losing 10lbs in my 1st trimester. After my band was loosened I started eating more until I found I had gained back 52lbs.

There is nothing wrong with fulfilling your cravings, but do it in the same manner you would with your band. And if you excercsie regularly now, you can keep it up! I do want to say that its great that you did identify that you felt something was wrong with your band and how you felt, I do know a few people who didnt and really ended up making themselves quite sick for half of their pregnancies.

Good luck to you and I wish you a happy, healthy pregnancy!!! :)

Thank you! I've actually since lost a couple pounds since gaining the initial 10! I have been walking the stairs at work every hour to combat leg/ankle swelling! Hopefully it will combat weight gain too (and make my ass look amazing)!