Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Are Shady Lap Band Doctors Doing This ???

2 weeks ago, I went with my brother to see him get a fill because I want to see how it is done but also introduce myself so hopefully he can help with my after care. My aftercare doctor is 4 hours away and my brothers LB doctor is only 1 hour away.

Anyway, I noticed the doctor would not tell my brother how much Fluid he took out of his band. Apparently, this is his custom and practice with my brother. And I thought to myself, WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD A DOCTOR NEVER TELL THE PATIENT HOW MUCH Fluid HE TOOK OUT FROM THEM? My brother would press him...but to know avail. On a side note...my brother has done extremely well with losing almost 270lbs since having the surgery.

The only conclusion is as follows:

1) Doctors don't want to deal with paranoid bandsters if some fluid was missing from the previous fill

2) They don't want attentive and organized bandsters documenting how much fluid is in the band...just in case something goes wrong (e.g. like accidentally poking the tube in the port area...causing fluid to drain). They can never be made accountable since the patient never knows how much fluid the doctor puts in or out....sneaky technique if a doctor ever had to go to court over an unintended issue with the band.

I could be wrong...but there is NO GOOD REASON to not tell the patient how much fluid they put in the patient or how much he took out. The only motivation to not tell the patient (or if they did....be vague about it like saying....around 2 CC's) is protect themselves from a potential lawsuit down the road...should something go wrong. Nothing more than protecting their own *ss at the expense of an uninformed and uneducated patient.

Thoughts/Opinions?

On a second note, I have no idea how much is in my band. I tried to keep track in the beginning but it is normal for some Fluid to evaporate overtime. I also noticed so many people on this blog become so obsessed with how much they had in their bands. I have only had 3 fills and i unfil in two years, I know there is fluid in there but I could care less how much. On your point though, physicians should answer questions, when they don't it only makes patients think they have something to hide. I am a nurse and I believe patients have the right to know everything they are taking and why. Your theory may be correct because a lot of people get wigged out over very small things.

I agree. Doctors should absolutely keep their patients informed about the details of their medical care, especially when specifically asked a pointed question. Evasiveness or flat out refusal to respond is suspicious and certainly would make me feel uncomfortable. I think it is our right to know how much Fluid is going in or coming out.

Your theory may be correct because a lot of people get wigged out over very small things.

Haha...I know I do....and why shouldn't I...its my health and safety at stake. We should be educated on what is going on inside our body. No different than a doctor giving us a pill....and we asked him what it is...but he won't tell us.

I tried to keep track in the beginning but it is normal for some Fluid to evaporate overtime.

Is this normal? Never head that Fluid evaporation in the band was normal. New to me...but that is why I'm on here is to learn more about this tool.

Thoughts?

On a second note, I have no idea how much is in my band. I tried to keep track in the beginning but it is normal for some Fluid to evaporate overtime. I also noticed so many people on this blog become so obsessed with how much they had in their bands. I have only had 3 fills and i unfil in two years, I know there is Fluid in there but I could care less how much. On your point though, physicians should answer questions, when they don't it only makes patients think they have something to hide. I am a nurse and I believe patients have the right to know everything they are taking and why. Your theory may be correct because a lot of people get wigged out over very small things.

right on love

Perhaps he doesn't tell his patients how much is in their band because it's irrelevant. It doesn't matter if there's 1cc or 9cc in their band, all that matters is how they feel and if they're losing weight. Too often people get hung up on numbers "Oh my friend has 4cc in her band with great restriction, I have 5cc in mine with none, something must be wrong with mine!"

Also, as stated above, Fluid does evaporate from the band over time.

Finally, if you're ever in a situation the band has to be emptied, say for surgery, again the amount in it is irrelevant. They just take it all regardless of what's in there.

Now with that said...it is your brother's body. If he really wants to know how much is in there he has every right not to ask but demand the information.

Is this normal? Never head that Fluid evaporation in the band was normal. New to me...but that is why I'm on here is to learn more about this tool.

Thoughts?

OK, I have no scientific proof that Fluid evaporates but think about it, the band is made of plastic or some synthetic material, right. Think of the band as a membrane, sort of like a Foley catheter we put in peoples bladders. We may put in 5 cc's but when we take it out we may only get back 4.8cc's so where did the rest of it go. The membrane of the bladder of the band has to allow the body to absorb some of the liquid. My point was to not get caught up in how much fluid is in your band but how your body reacts to the band. I know some people who have never had a fill at all and have been successful with weight loss. The main purpose of the band is to teach you Portion Control, a lot of people do not like that statement and want to get fills so they will not eat as much but honestly there is only one thing that can make you successful with lapband and that is you. Because only you can control what your fork puts in your mouth. I realize what a scary thought that is, it was for me. But if you really understand that it is you that has to control your behavior and not the band than you can be successful. This is a life style change and it is an emotional journey, you learn that your past feelings about food and how you used food have to change. Food to me is nutrition, it is not a coping mechanism or is it something I think about except when it is time to eat. I rarely get hungry, I eat when it is meal time. May sound strange but it is how I have reprogrammed my behavior with food.

Agree with mis73. My doc specifically doesn't like to discuss fill details with patients because people can become obsessed and compare themselves to other people. Everyone's body is different and will react differently to various fills.

and it is an emotional journey

I've heard many say they didn't realize their emotional connection to food. Seems strange to me...but I guess I will find out what that means shortly.

I rarely get hungry,

My brother says the same thing....it will be interesting to live life not being really hungry compared to how I am now (pre-band anyway).

Agree with mis73. My doc specifically doesn't like to discuss fill details with patients because people can become obsessed and compare themselves to other people. Everyone's body is different and will react differently to various fills.

I'm a researcher by nature from finishing grad school at a Research 1 University. Bottom line...you can find out a lot about trends and patterns and perhaps can spot things within these trends and patterns. I know everyone is different (yadda, yadda, yadda) but it can't hurt to have this information...it can only help you spot a potential pattern.

I agree that some people might get too hung up on numbers, but I don't think doctors should ever withhold information because "some" patients might become too obsessed over the numbers. We aren't all obsessive patients, just as it wouldn't be fair for us patients to presume that all doctors are arrogant egomaniacs! Many patients simply like to be informed as is their right. In my experience as an R.N., I firmly believe, and we are also taught, that there is never a situation where it is ethically acceptable for a doctor to treat a patient and subsequently refuse to disclose specifics about that treatment. They need to be forthright and accountable for anything and everything they do to a patient.

2 weeks ago' date=' I went with my brother to see him get a fill because I want to see how it is done but also introduce myself so hopefully he can help with my after care. My aftercare doctor is 4 hours away and my brothers LB doctor is only 1 hour away.

Anyway, I noticed the doctor would not tell my brother how much Fluid he took out of his band. Apparently, this is his custom and practice with my brother. And I thought to myself, WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD A DOCTOR NEVER TELL THE PATIENT HOW MUCH Fluid HE TOOK OUT FROM THEM? My brother would press him...but to know avail. On a side note...my brother has done extremely well with losing almost 270lbs since having the surgery.

The only conclusion is as follows:

1) Doctors don't want to deal with paranoid bandsters if some fluid was missing from the previous fill

2) They don't want attentive and organized bandsters documenting how much fluid is in the band...just in case something goes wrong (e.g. like accidentally poking the tube in the port area...causing fluid to drain). They can never be made accountable since the patient never knows how much fluid the doctor puts in or out....sneaky technique if a doctor ever had to go to court over an unintended issue with the band.

I could be wrong...but there is NO GOOD REASON to not tell the patient how much fluid they put in the patient or how much he took out. The only motivation to not tell the patient (or if they did....be vague about it like saying....around 2 CC's) is protect themselves from a potential lawsuit down the road...should something go wrong. Nothing more than protecting their own *ss at the expense of an uninformed and uneducated patient.

Thoughts/Opinions?[/quote']

The reason that I've heard from bandsters whose drs do this is that the Dr doesn't want them focusing on the amount of fluid and using that to judge if they're at good resriction.

the band goes around your stomach, not your brain

having the band is merely a aid to help...its your thinking and mental strength that determines

success or not..

the band goes around your stomach, not your brain

having the band is merely a aid to help...its your thinking and mental strength that determines

success or not..

ok, I was going to say something profound, so just read my mind, CG.