Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Banded In 4 Days - Any Advice ???

Bandsters:

I'm getting banded by Dr. Kuri in Mexico on 10/17/12. Everything is set. My wife and father are coming with me as my mother is staying home to care for my brother who had the Skin surgery recently after losing 270 lbs with the lap band. So far I have the following:

1) Passport

2) Heating Pad

3) Nausene for nausia

4) Gas X

5) Polysporin Ointment for incision area

6) Cashier Check

7) Flight Itinerary and confirmation #'s

8) Hotel confirmation #'s

9) Cash for paying for medications, hotel and misc.

10) Lose clothing for flight back home and when leaving the hospital

11) Light robe and sandles to walk around the hospital rather than with that skimpy gown they give you after surgery

12) Papaya enzymes from GNC to help with any digestion issues if I have a stuck episode afterwords. This is definately after the liquid phase obviously.

Please pray for me as this is a life altering decision for me as well as it has been for all of you out there. I pray that I'm making a wise decision and this band won't somehow bite me down the road of some unintended consequence that was unforeseen. I know you all know what I'm talking about. I just pray not only for a healthy surgery but that I will use wisdom in working with the band properly. I don't want to misuse or abuse this thing....its an investment in my health, my family, ministry, and financially with future medical and food costs savings down the road.

P.S. Any advice pre or post trip would be appreciated. Also, any advice in making the transition with the band much easier would also be greatly appreciated.

At the end of the day....I just need your prayers, encouragement and any wisdom you have regarding your journey and success.

Respectfully submitted,

MD

Thoughts & prayers with you MD!

I'm having my surgery Monday, so there will be a lot of praying going on.

Did you ever find a Dr in the states to do fills & see you in an emergency?

Thoughts & prayers with you MD!

I'm having my surgery Monday, so there will be a lot of praying going on.

Did you ever find a Dr in the states to do fills & see you in an emergency?

Congrats on your surgery Monday. Please keep us informed.

Lord, we pray for Protection, Saftey and Wisdom to know how to effectively use this tool inside her. In Jesus Name We Pray ~ Amen.

I have an aftercare doctor 4 hours away....but I recently met my brothers LB Doctor who is only an hour away. My brother is going to ask him if he wouldn't mind doing me a favor by helping me with my aftercare.

Amen &Amen! Thank you!

I hope it works out with your brothers Dr.

My Dr is 45 mins away.

May God bless & keep you through your journey!

Glad to see your having your surgery, good luck and we will all say a prayer for you. I know you have been working on this for a while best of luck and love and prayers sent your way.

One last bit of advice, make sure you have found a Protein Drink you like and better make sure it is a couple of flavors. I found that what I liked before surgery and what I liked the taste of after surgery was different. I could not stand the sweet taste of some of the premixed drinks and switched to the powdered brands rather quickly. I drank a lot of Protein in the beginnng and actually I still drink them twice a day for added protein. Again Good luck to you.

Bandsters:

I'm getting banded by Dr. Kuri in Mexico on 10/17/12. Everything is set. My wife and father are coming with me as my mother is staying home to care for my brother who had the Skin surgery recently after losing 270 lbs with the lap band. So far I have the following:

1) Passport

2) Heating Pad

3) Nausene for nausia

4) Gas X

5) Polysporin Ointment for incision area

6) Cashier Check

7) Flight Itinerary and confirmation #'s

8) Hotel confirmation #'s

9) Cash for paying for medications' date=' hotel and misc.

10) Lose clothing for flight back home and when leaving the hospital

11) Light robe and sandles to walk around the hospital rather than with that skimpy gown they give you after surgery

12) Papaya enzymes from GNC to help with any digestion issues if I have a stuck episode afterwords. This is definately after the liquid phase obviously.

Please pray for me as this is a life altering decision for me as well as it has been for all of you out there. I pray that I'm making a wise decision and this band won't somehow bite me down the road of some unintended consequence that was unforeseen. I know you all know what I'm talking about. I just pray not only for a healthy surgery but that I will use wisdom in working with the band properly. I don't want to misuse or abuse this thing....its an investment in my health, my family, ministry, and financially with future medical and food costs savings down the road.

P.S. Any advice pre or post trip would be appreciated. Also, any advice in making the transition with the band much easier would also be greatly appreciated.

At the end of the day....I just need your prayers, encouragement and any wisdom you have regarding your journey and success.

Respectfully submitted,

MD[/quote']

MD,

Do you have SF popcicles, Jello & broth for when you get home?

Glad to see your having your surgery, good luck and we will all say a prayer for you. I know you have been working on this for a while best of luck and love and prayers sent your way.

In terms of transitioning to regular life post surgery, have you gotten to the point....where living life with the band is normal and predictable? My brother says no because the band does what it wants and you always have to think about eating....chewing properly, small portions and listening to what the band will let you do (ect..).

I guess I'm hoping (that if what my brother says is true) that he is wrong...and a lot of this stuff will be second nature and living with this band won't be high maintenance and drama every time you have to eat.

Thoughts/Opinions?

MD,

Do you have SF popcicles, Jello & broth for when you get home?

What are SF popcicles and no...I haven't bought broth but do have a lot of chicken Flavored Ramen Noodle packets that we have saved because we never use the flavoring for the Ramen Noodles.

P.S. Can you just go to the store and buy Broth? Never done that before....I always thought broth came with a Soup and that you couldn't buy it separately.

What are SF popcicles and no...I haven't bought broth but do have a lot of chicken Flavored Ramen Noodle packets that we have saved because we never use the flavoring for the Ramen Noodles.

P.S. Can you just go to the store and buy broth? Never done that before....I always thought broth came with a Soup and that you couldn't buy it separately.

sugar free popsicles (frozen fruit treats), sugar free Jello and yes you can buy broth in powder form or Swanson makes a fat free low sodium broth. The Ramen packets will do too, just no noddles.lol

In terms of transitioning to regular life post surgery, have you gotten to the point....where living life with the band is normal and predictable? My brother says no because the band does what it wants and you always have to think about eating....chewing properly, small portions and listening to what the band will let you do (ect..).

I guess I'm hoping (that if what my brother says is true) that he is wrong...and a lot of this stuff will be second nature and living with this band won't be high maintenance and drama every time you have to eat.

Thoughts/Opinions?

The band is fickle, I am two years post op at my goal. :D but I still have days when I struggle with what to eat. I still don't eat well early in the morning, I drink my warm tea or coffee but have just excepted, I need to wait an hour or so before Breakfast. Chewing food is second nature now because I have had way to may episodes of what it feels like to throw up when you don't chew so a little negative reinforcement goes a long way. I can eat most anything I want, I do not graze. I eat 3 meals a day, I drink 2 Protein shakes a day and I exercise. I try to get in 80 plus grams of Protein a day and most days I am successful. I do think a lot of things I do are second nature, but I still weight my food and I still log everything I eat every day. Honestly, I would not change a thing except I wish I would have done this sooner. I honestly love what I have been able to accomplish with my lap band. If you follow the rules and really apply what you are learning, Portion Control and exercise you will lose weight. I never think about my band, I just think that I have learned to eat healthier and finally know when enough is enough. I consider my band a little insurance policy, it does let me know if it does not like something I do. I am obedient, I listen and don't do it again. :D

it does let me know if it does not like something I do. I am obedient, I listen and don't do it again. :D

You sound like my brother...haha. The only thing in your post that I don't think I will do is log every food that I eat everyday. Trust me...I know that is the ideal and smart thing to do but I don't know if I have the patient to be that detailed on my food (I know its a bad attitude but don't stone me :P )

Not that my brother is a doctor and all-knowing (because he is not), he says you don't need to and comes to the same conclusion that its too much work of documenting what you eat everyday. But I do know its the right thing to do. Perhaps, I can start out by doing this to try to get into a good habit.

Thoughts/Opinions?

chiming in......i noticed you like to question things to death and thats fine

but you really need to chill out and let the dr's do their job. follow the instructions

and listen to your body. the first habit you need to have is to be positive and do what is

required to make the band work...to help it :)

good luck and relax

Thoughts/Opinions?

i noticed you like to question things to death and thats fine

but you really need to chill out and let the dr's do their job. follow the instructions

and listen to your body. the first habit you need to have is to be positive and do what is

required to make the band work...to help it :)

good luck and relax

That's my girl, telling it like it is!

MD, she was light on you. She's threatened to kick my butt if I screwed up.

Got to love her!