Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help Me Understand Post Op Diet Rules Normal Diet Importance Of Carbs & Cals

I know that most people are able to go movie nutritionist at their surgeon but I have my surgery & it's a little harder for me with the follow up

so I can use your advice please

what is your post op diet like a regular food do you count carbs and calories if so how many carbohydrates and how many calories do you allow yourself the day I've been eating Lean Cuisine meals but they seem to be low in calories and carbs

but I'm eating them for the portion sizes

because although I just got my first fill of 5CC in a 10 cc band I feel no restrictions. very concerned about my diet and weight loss so far because its been slow so I'm not sure I'm getting the right amount of carbs or calories and I'm hungry all the time.... thank you for your input :)

I'm sorry I was trying to say I got my surgery done in Mexico and it's harder for me to follow up with a person... darn autocorrect on my phone woops...lol

I have no restriction yet, so sometimes its really hard but i try:

-1000 cals or less a day

-100 Grams of Protein

- less than 100 grams of carbs (preferable around 50 but that barely ever happens)

I have not yet seen a nutritionist, but this is what i've read on these forums and I try to stick with it

myfitnesspal.com gives you a good idea of how many cals/carbs u need based on your goals

I know this isn't the response you wanted, but this is exactly why having good support and follow up after surgery is so important. Unless there is a nutritionist on this board who's willing to talk with you extensively to help you establish eating guidelines specifically for you, we can't tell you how many calories or carbs to eat. For one thing we're all on different programs. Some of us do very low carb and others don't restrict carbs at all. Our calorie ranges go from anywhere from 800-1600 calories a day. There is no right or wrong way to eat, it's all dependent on your own individual situation and needs.

Nutritionists aren't expensive and they're everywhere. Just find one near you and set up an appointment.

My nutritionist told me to focus on getting at least 50g of Protein in every day although 70-80 is ideal. I find it hard to do if I don't have a Protein shake for Breakfast. I basically eat a Protein Shake made with 2% milk, frozen fruit and spinach for Breakfast. This way I get a serving of fruit and veggies in as well. lunch is some kind of Protein with veggies and a few crackers sometimes. dinner is again some protein and veggies. I have just started introducing carbs like Pasta and potatoes but I try to REALLY limit my intake on them. I am keeping track of calories but dont have a calorie goal. I am feeling like I'm in the green zone because I can normally do 650-900 cal a day and feel satisfied.

Hope this helps.

I'm 3 yrs post op. I've never counted or measured anything. I felt that it's too much like dieting to do so, and I'm so done with all the dieting!

I eat what I want, just very little of it. I eat carbs, fat, Protein. If I had to guesstimate (I was a very proficient dieter in the past and memorized calories in everything and occasionally find myself adding them up in my head), I'd guess I ate about 1200-1300 calories a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. In fact, I don't bother with low fat or low calories versions of anything anymore. They taste yucky to me and I don't eat enuf of them to count for anything. Except milk. I've always drinken 1%. I don't like full fat milk. I mean like salad dressing, mayo, butter, etc. I use the regular versions of all of those.

Good luck to you!

Marci

I think you may have to increase your Protein intake, because protein helps you not get hungry. Also remember dont eat till your full but till your satisfied

I'm 3 yrs post op. I've never counted or measured anything. I felt that it's too much like dieting to do so, and I'm so done with all the dieting!

I eat what I want, just very little of it. I eat carbs, fat, Protein. If I had to guesstimate (I was a very proficient dieter in the past and memorized calories in everything and occasionally find myself adding them up in my head), I'd guess I ate about 1200-1300 calories a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. In fact, I don't bother with low fat or low calories versions of anything anymore. They taste yucky to me and I don't eat enuf of them to count for anything. Except milk. I've always drinken 1%. I don't like full fat milk. I mean like salad dressing, mayo, butter, etc. I use the regular versions of all of those.

Good luck to you!

Marci

I like your answer. I was thinking about what I would be eating once my post op diet is over and I came to the same conclusion as you.

I have had many, many years of dieting and I am through with that. I plan on eating sensibly and exercising but if I want a treat or full fat cheese or whatever, I plan on eating it. Just not in the huge quantities that I used to.

Portion Control has always been my biggest problem. With the band I am hoping it will take smaller portions for me to be satisfied.

I take about 1200 cals aday...but my doctor tells me not to count cals to listen to my band and eat when hungry in moderate amounts....always have pro first...70 g a day and 100 g carbs a day...I dont eat prossed foods...Good Luck..

You definitely need a nutritionist. My surgery was done at Carolina Medical Center through the Carolina Weight Management Program. This program is one of the 5 Joint Commission certified programs in the country. Prior to my surgery, the nutritionist did a Resting Metabolic Rate on me so we know EXACTLY how many calories my body burns as rest. This number was used to make a custom designed diet. Like others have said, Protein helps to keep you feeling full. All programs are different and all surgeons are different. Please get expert advise.

Tijuana dr ortiz

Congrats!

I am 2 weeks post op today & I am lucky if I get 500 calories a day. I have no fill in my band yet, but am rarely hungry. My wt loss has slowed a lot & I think I need to get 1000-1100 calories / day, but I just can't manage it yet.