Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated/disappointed

I went to my Dr about a month ago and was told how much I had to lose before I could have the surgery,( 26 pounds) and how much I had to lose before I could schedule the surgery. (13 pounds) I thought to myself that day, wow this isnt going to be very hard at all! They recommend you do the medifast shakes, but I cant afford them. They are about $60 a week. I have a big family and only one income right now, and we just cant afford it so the Dr told me another diet plan to use. I have been doing this diet and walking 2 miles almost everyday. On the other hand, my primary Dr put me on a new medication around the same time as I went to the surgeon, for my headaches I was getting. Little did I know, a side effect from that medication is weight gain. So here I have been, trying so hard to lose this weight while being on a medicine that causes weight gain. About 1 1/2 weeks ago when I wasnt losing any weight, I went online and looked at the side effects of this medicine, after a friend suggesting maybe it was the cause. I have since seen my primary and been weaned off of it. I just weighed myself and I have only lost 1 pound in the past month because of that medicine. I guess I am grateful that it didnt cause me to gain weight, it just kind of caused me to not lose any, but I go back to the surgeon in 2 weeks and I feel like a failure because I thought I would be going there and would have lost that 13 pounds and would have been able to schedule my surgery. Thats obviously not going to happen now. Does anyone have any tips on ways to lose the weight quicker? I feel like this is never going to happen.

If your surgeon blames you for a weight problem caused by a medication, it's time to kiss him goodbye. If you sign a waiver so that your PCP can discuss it with your surgeon, you'll have more people on your team to help you get ready for band surgery.

As for tips on how to lose weight quicker, you really need to talk to your surgeon, dietitian, or other medical professional at your bariatric clinic. It's their job to help you lose weight. Plus it wouldn't hurt to tell them what happened with the headache medication now rather than waiting another 2 weeks.

It may be helpful to call your bariatric surgeon and ask them for additional information on what diet you can safely follow that would also be affordable. You are definitely doing the right thing to exercise, and sometimes it helps to change up the speed and type of exercise as well.

never understood why u have to loss weight b4 surgery. I lost 10 just waiting for the surgery date but it just left I did nothing about it and didnt do the pre-op diet and I wasnt even asked so not sure if they knew. My instructions were to lose 5-10 lbs the week b4 surgery I lose 0 and he did it maybe I was just lucky.

good luck here and do call him Tuesday and tell him about the meds.

Line-dancer

I am on 3 types of meds with side effects of major weight gain and it has been hard. I am not losing as fast as others on the same diet and I know I am trying. My doc on my last visit was a little snippy with me as to my weight loss and lack thereof! I reminded him of it. My other doc saw the change! I lost 23 pounds so far and my numbers on my blood work are getting better when my meds are staying the same, so the concentration in my blood is changing. It will happen. You need to keep everyone on board, like it was said. Use your dietician, surgeon and PCP together to accomplish this. It can be done. It may happen slower, but as long as you realize what is going on and they do too, all will be ok.

It may well be that u just arent burning enough calories to the amount u are eating, walking is good exercise but it just doesnt burn as many calories as doing some vigorous exercise. Obviously check out with your surgeon/doctor etc what else u can do diet wise, but i would step up the exercise to burn more than u are eating.

Of course u could always try another surgeon :)

First no Protein Shake has magic ingredients so unless they contrain perscription medication I don't think a doctor should require you to buy from their office. Huge issue for me. In fact here is a link to the Nut. value of one of their shakes

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size

11.00000 packe (28.0 g)

Amount Per Serving

Calories

Calories from Fat

% Daily Value*

Total Fat

1.0g

2%

Sodium

250mg

10%10

Total Carbohydrates

13.0g13.0

4%

Dietary Fiber

4.0g

16%

Sugars

8.0g

Protein

11.0g

and the carbs are outragious!

Anyway go to Vitamin Shoppe GNC and find a whey Isolate Protein shake that is comparable or better nutrition wise (the Isolate part is very important). I use Gold Standard and Dymatize Nutrition. You"ll find a 2.5 pound tub for $25 at Vitamins Shoppe. Have one Protein Shake for Breakfast and another for lunch and a low fat/cal/carb protein based dinner.

I had to loose 32 pounds before surgery. Due to other health issues I had to wait 7 months for surgery and ended up losing 50.