Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time Off From Work?

I looked in to being banded 2 years ago, my insurance wouldn't cover it. I waited a few months and had my husband add me to his insurance...two weeks later found out I was pregnant (exciting and a blessing, but got me off course for "my" plans - haha)

Had my sweet baby boy last year, lost some weight right after he was born and decided I didn't need to be banded, so I had my Husband drop me from his plan. I have gained all of the weight back plus some and it's coming close to my Husband's enrollement period again so I want to re-explore the idea. Hubb's isn't as supportive of it this time around (since we 'wasted' an entire year's worth of $$)...totally NOT my fault!

Anyway, how long are you typically off from work? I don't know yet if I WANT my employer/coworkers to know about the procedure...I know that's silly, but if I have the surgery and actually LOSE weight, I don't want everyone discrediting the weight loss as me 'just having stomach surgery' as they've done with another employee. I've SEEN this employee change her eating habits and exercise, so I know it's HER and not 'just the surgery', but people that haven't dealt with weight issues can't imagine the magnitude of the struggles people have and are viscious behind her back.

I'm just trying to decide if I should take the time off as vacation, or if I would be off such a short amount of time that I could take it as sick leave without raising any eye brows.

I know laws protect people from having to share medical information, but I still work in a small enough area where the 'good 'Ol boys' mentality prevail and there aren't many secrets.

Thanks in advance if you've made it this far :)

I took a week off work, office job. I used time owed days and didn't use sick days as I wasn't telling one and our HR person is the biggest busy body in the world. I did tell my boss and coordinator and that is it. After it was done, I couldn't care less who knows, but haven't told anyone. It is a personal choice and I choose to keep it personal for now. I need to figure out my new life before I spend time and energy explaining it to others.

I teach; I scheduled my surgery for my spring break; I have heard a lot of folks say they go back the next day; but I am glad I had the extra time to heal and rest because my energy level was so low. good luck

I am taking a week off from work. So I say what you do on your time off is your business. If someone ask where are you going for vacation, you can make up anything you want. You are going crab fishing in Alaska or a retreat for dog owners. It's all up to you.

My job is about 75% office and 25% up and down/back and forth/moving around. I had surgery on a Friday was back to work Monday. I didn't feel fantastic, but made it through the day just fine.

I took 2 wks off as vacation, not sick...(I'm a nurse and on my feet most of the day pushing and pulling medication carts).....I used my vacation time because I decided I did not want anyone at work to know....because most of them are broadcasters, you'd swear I work at a TV news network lol.....not because i'm ashamed...but don't care to hear others opinions that doesn't matter to me....

Yesterday while I was in the emerge, the triage nurse said to me "why did you get the band, you're not even that fat"....and those are the judgments I do not want to hear from anyone cause no one knows your struggles until they walk a day in your shoes. Nothing wrong with me taking actions before it gets out of control....as I've learned from this site, many when asked if they regret it, the most common answer is that they regretted not doing it sooner....

Now time off all depends on what kind of work you do of-course, personally, one myth I learned about the surgery is being able to return back to work the next day or a few days.....If you are one of the lucky ones who do not experience any pain, especially the gas pain (for me, gas pain was the worst), then that would be possible....but if you are one of the unlucky ones who experiences pain...you should take at least 1 week off....originally I was going to take a week off, then I said I better extend it just in case, i'm so glad I did.....

I took 2 wks off as vacation, not sick...(I'm a nurse and on my feet most of the day pushing and pulling medication carts).....I used my vacation time because I decided I did not want anyone at work to know....because most of them are broadcasters, you'd swear I work at a TV news network lol.....not because i'm ashamed...but don't care to hear others opinions that doesn't matter to me....

Yesterday while I was in the emerge, the triage nurse said to me "why did you get the band, you're not even that fat"....and those are the judgments I do not want to hear from anyone cause no one knows your struggles until they walk a day in your shoes. Nothing wrong with me taking actions before it gets out of control....as I've learned from this site, many when asked if they regret it, the most common answer is that they regretted not doing it sooner....

Now time off all depends on what kind of work you do of-course, personally, one myth I learned about the surgery is being able to return back to work the next day or a few days.....If you are one of the lucky ones who do not experience any pain, especially the gas pain (for me, gas pain was the worst), then that would be possible....but if you are one of the unlucky ones who experiences pain...you should take at least 1 week off....originally I was going to take a week off, then I said I better extend it just in case, i'm so glad I did.....

I am one of those that didn't have one iota of surgical pain, not for a second. I had about 7hrs of gas pain on day 8 and that was it. Off painkillers day 2 and slept the whole night on my side the same day as surgery. I consider myself very lucky. However, I could not have gone back to work sooner than I did. I needed to get the drugs out of my system, I needed to poop, I needed to have a few days worth of naps, I needed to figure out the liquid diet, and walking and sipping etc, I was burping and farting like it was my job and not sure I could have been around people. Could I have sat at my desk for 7hrs on day 4, probably, but I would have been uncomfortable and miserable and tired.

I would say a week is good if you don't have to lift or run around.

I have a very physical job. I am a nurse, on my feet, lifting, etc. I had a lifting restriction of 10lbs for 6 wks, so I was off 6 wks. Honestly, I felt & returned to most normal activities after 3 wks. I really didn't need 6 wks off but my employer wouldn't let me back until I was free of restriction!! My hubby just had gastric sleeve, he's an accountant. He returned to work after just one week. Good luck to you!!! :)

I was banded on 9/7 and was told by my doctor that I could return to work within 3days......wrong! I was banded on Friday and was scheduled to return to work on Monday. I called in Monday, went to work on Tuesday for 5 hours, stayed on Wednesday and back on Thursday. I'm a hygienist and work in a small office so I felt like it was important to tell them about the surgery. I wished then that I would've taking a week off to start off with, so if you have the time available take off as much time you can. Good luck with your LapBand journey!

Thanks so much for all of the replies. All of your info has really helped me. I'm now sure that, at least in the beginning, I only want to tell people that NEED to know. I don't want any negative feedback and don't want the constant 'look' I'm sure I would get.

The main thing I guess I needed to hear is that, although this surgery is a TOOL, it's not the only way I will lose weight. I will have to watch my portions, make better choices and exercise. I think that will be my answer to those that ask - - that I began watching my portions, making better choices and exercised...I feel confident I won't feel guilty for telling the truth :)

I also think I will plan on taking a week off and will take it as vacation :)

THANK YOU!