Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saturday - Not Such A Great Post-Op Diet Day!

So today is my day three of the mushy stage. I did really well with the first two days but not really sure how to feel about today. First, I didn't get all my Protein shakes in, only two out of three. Second, I'm not sure the foods I chose were the best. Here's what I had today, can some of you weigh in?

Breakfast: Protein shake

Lunch: 1/2 cup of turkey chili, not exactly pureed but really really really small chunks that I chewed ALOT before it went down

Mid afternoon: second Protein Shake

Dinner: my mother had ordered food out as she was having company, I ate a few pieces of broccoli - just the top part not the hard bottom stem, and a small piece of chicken francaise (Cut and shredded almost like chicken salad) - again neither of these went to the food processor but were very well chewed.

Evening "snack": 2 kernels of popcorn, chewed to death!

I didn't have any problems getting anything down, it took me a full half hour to each meal. I'm trying not to feel like I made bad choices, but since I didn't eat a scrambled egg or yogurt and apple sauce it feels like I didn't stick to plan and I'm kinds confused.

What do you guys think?

Also, if salsa is on the mushy food list, would we think bruschetta would be ok? I feel like the little bit of olive oil in homemade bruchetta could be good for my irregularity about now.

I hate to tell you this, but the only things you ate today that are a mushy food are the Protein shakes. The rest are full out solids, soft foods at best. Definitely not mushy.

Mushy means literally mush. Think like mashed potatoes, baby food, applesauce, etc. You can have meat but you have to puree it in a blender first. Just chewing something like crazy doesn't make it a mushy food, it has to be mushy before it goes into your mouth.

Go back to mushies tomorrow and you should be fine.

Missy is right. Regroup and start again tomorrow!

Did your Dr. give you any kind of sample diet? I got a whole notebook full .

Best Wishes!!!

There could be a difference in interpretation of mushies here.

For me ( in Aus) the second stage was called the transition diet. It consisted of minced/mashed foods.

Examples

minced red meat/fish/chicken

mashed or overcooked veg

eggs

canned fish

etc

Nowhere did it say that I had to have meat that had been put in a blender!

So depending where the OP is quite a lot of the foods she ate could be classified as muchies. The best advice is when in doubt refer back to the info given to you by your Dr.

Please don't beat yourself up over this or get too stressed out over it. Guilt will only get you down and it's okay to make a mistake, forgive yourself and move on. It is repeating the mistakes that can get you into trouble, but based on how guilty you are feeling, that probably won't be an issue! ;)

If you chewed well and took small bites, I'm sure you're fine. As others have already said, tomorrow is a new day. I was told by the P.A. at my surgeon's office that the stages are tiered post op (from liquid to mushy or pureed to solids) to allow patients to practice adapting to the new eating recommendations - chewing thoroughly, eating slowly, etc. They would rather have you make a mistake (eating too fast, not chewing well enough) with soft, mushy foods than with solids.

Of course, it is true that your body is still healing so it is not recommended to rush the solids, but from what you ate, soft broccoli sprouts and shredded chicken chewed thoroughly, the odds are you didn't do any damage. I would try to avoid the popcorn, but it sounds like you are already planning to get back on track so that probably isn't relevant at this point.

Good luck!

My first week of mushies were very soft mushies. Such as yogurt, cottage cheese and ricotta cheese. Week 2 of mushies was shredded chicken or canned tuna. I would agree most of your food was solids. I would step back to real mushies tomorrow.

P.S. Salsa wasn't on the food lists I was given for the mushy stage, but if they were on yours, then your surgeon must believe it would be okay. As you've probably discovered, just as every one of us has different experiences with lap band, so do we have different surgeons whose instructions or recommendations may vary slightly. I would follow your surgeon's instructions and call them if you are unsure. They are used to questions and concerns, so don't think twice about asking for clarification! Oh, and my nutritionist suggested using a bit of olive oil to cook scrambled eggs, so perhaps that is one way to get some olive oil in!