Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got approved and while I should be thrilled reality just set in. I can't decide if I should give it a go myself or get the help. 75 lbs is my goal with our without the band,

Just got approved and while I should be thrilled reality just set in. I can't decide if I should give it a go myself or get the help. 75 lbs is my goal with our without the band' date='[/quote']

I would really take time to think about it if I was you. Getting banded changes your life completely forever so please learn everything you can about the surgery before making a choice. Being banded so far has been the best choice of my life

Starting weight: 264.5 Current weight 252.6 Goal weight 160

Awesome advice. It is a life changing decision. Please weight your options carefully. Banding has changed my life for the better in my opinion. My STARTING WEIGHT was 368(on my banding date of 1/11/12) and now I am 290 (78 pounds lost in 9 mos) I lost 20 pounds pre-surgery for a total of 98 pounds lost my 1 year goal was 250.

It definitely is something to think about. I, too, only(?) had 75 pounds to lose. I've lost fifty in 8 months. I know I couldn't have done it by myself... well, I could, but then I always just gained back more!

I'm beginning to have some problems and complications now that make me wish I'd taken a closer look at the sleeve. I'm thinking very seriously about revision surgery if insurance will cover it.

I haven't been banded yet, just completed all requirements, waiting to get surgery date. My husband and I talked about the band a few times before I finally made the leap and pursued it. Each time I said, noooo, I can do it myself. I would go on a diet, lose 15 or 20 lbs, only to gain it back within a short time. Can't tell you how many times I lost and gained that same 20 lbs over the past 10 years! And I need to lose 120! I was recently getting cold feet over the band, but am back on track! Yeah! I have done tons of research on lap band and think it will be life changing and very challenging. But I know from my past behavior with food, this is what I need. Only you know what the right thing is for you. Take your time with the decision if you're not sure.

It's a huge decision and one that will change your life forever. I think you're very wise to question it. In fact, I wish more people would. It's not something that should be rushed into blindly.

My best advice is do your homework. Reading these forums is fine and anecdotal evidence is great, but educate yourself on the medical facts of the band too. Learn exactly what the band does, what it doesn't, what the risks are, and what will be required of you.

Best wishes to you, whatever you decide is best for you.

Best wishes! Make sure your ready for this if you go thru with the surgery! Good luck :)

Just got approved and while I should be thrilled reality just set in. I can't decide if I should give it a go myself or get the help. 75 lbs is my goal with our without the band,

There are many factors to consider...and only you can make your final decision.

The best choice is an informed choice, so I encourage you to do your research thoroughly. Be certain that you understand all of the changes you have to commit to making for a lifetime...

There are numerous medical considerations, and be certain to understand that the band is only a weight loss tool. As with other tools, you need to learn how it works, what you need to do to make it work with you, and understand what it will not do. Too many people believe that it will do the work by itself...I can tell you that I have battled daily to remain compliant with my diet to loose every pound I have to date. However, this is a healthier lifestyle, so I really have no complaint.

I have no regrets for choosing to have my band surgery...though I had lost significant amounts of weight before and managed to keep it off for 25 years, one's age, medication issues and sluggish metabolism do catch up with you. I was nearly diagnosed as a Type II diabetic...and that was the deciding factor for me.

This forum is an excellent place to ask questions and learn a wealth of valid information from individuals who are on their weight loss journey.

How many times have you tried to lose weight in the past? How many times have you been successful? Why weren't you successful? Are you willing to admit you need the help or still spinning your wheels?

When we face reality about our weight problems, you can make an informed decision about your path forward. It's true that the band is not for everyone because it does require significant life changes and may need to be accompanied by therapy of sorts to get to the root of your weight problems. Look at what the band requires of you and decide if you're willing to put forth the effort.

I've done TONS of research over the past four months but it has been all over the place, good and bad. For my body style my docs always told me 200 was a healthy range and I've usually been 225 for most of my adult life. After college I got up to 250 and decided it was time to lose weight and I got down to 215. Held that for 3 years and when I quit smoking got up to 280 and no matter what I do I can't lose it this time. I don't have the motivation now that I'm married honestly. So not fair to my wife but this is more about health than looks and sadly that's less motivating.