Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Fill Yet - Over Eating At Meal Times

I was banded on Aug. 23 so this week makes 5 weeks post op. I'm on soft foods (not mushies) and can try to reincorporate foods back into my diet. I don't have a fill yet (go on Oct. 8) and am able to eat pretty much anything. Which leads to overeating. I still don't eat NEARLY as much as I did pre-band but I know I'm not doing how I should. I'm worried about stretching my pouch. food just tastes good and I keep eating. Then I get a stabbing pain in my chest through to my back and my stomach hurts. I don't do it at every meal.

Because of no restriction, I'm still eating big bites and eating fast.

Any advice or suggestions? I don't want to fail at this.

Prepare small amounts and put them in small bowels. It made me feel like i was having a feast pre op

Measure everything you eat. Serve yourself a 1 cup sized meal, when it's gone, you're done eating.

Please keep in mind that even with fills, the band isn't supposed to stop you from eating anything. It's not supposed to restrict how much or what you eat and it's not even supposed to make you feel full. The one and only thing the band is supposed to do satiate your hunger one less food for longer periods of time.

This is why it's important to learn to stick to band sized portions- because it's not something the band will do for you.

Best wishes.

Get a digital scale and weigh everything - you will be surprised how much 3oz of meat is. I had my scale at the place I was staying for surgery (measured Jello, Soup and yogurt 2 days post op) and forgot it there. Panic set in and had to buy another one yesterday. I am not good at eyeballing.

Eat your Protein first, drink lots of Water between meals.

Good luck to you.

I was banded on Aug. 23 so this week makes 5 weeks post op. I'm on soft foods (not mushies) and can try to reincorporate foods back into my diet. I don't have a fill yet (go on Oct. 8) and am able to eat pretty much anything. Which leads to overeating. I still don't eat NEARLY as much as I did pre-band but I know I'm not doing how I should. I'm worried about stretching my pouch. food just tastes good and I keep eating. Then I get a stabbing pain in my chest through to my back and my stomach hurts. I don't do it at every meal.

Now is the time to begin to hone your skills to manage your hunger successfully. You should not rely on having fills to manage your hunger. Restriction will likely not be significant for at least a few fills. Even after you have restriction, you likely will get hungry; I use that as a cue to drink more Water.

I was advised to measure my portions, choose only basic unprocessed foods, and have learned to manage my hunger by drinking additional fluids, which for me is usually Water.< /span>

Different surgeons do instruct their patients with slight variations...but my post op instructions made sense to me...

It is not a valid measure of a portion to measure food by weight...you need to measure your portions by volume after cooking. Your surgeon has just created a new small pouch of your stomach; it doesn't make sense to measure portions by weight when the goal is to not stretch your pouch.

OMHO...

My doctor never gave me instructions by volume. Instead I was told to measure out my Protein to 3 oz; and then eat low fat/cal/carb veggies until satisfied. Trust me you aren't going to over eat green pepper (plain no salad dressing) like you will a flavorful Protein or mash potato with butter. I am 2 years post op and I still measure all protein when I am at home. When I was just banded I even measured when I went to my sister's since she has a food scale.

This is a will power diet until you get restriction; and it may take you 6 months to get restriction. My doctor required therapy sessions with a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. Probably the most important thing I did preop. I acknowledged what foods triggered me to overeat. I used to have 2-3 different children cereals in my house at any time. I don't have any children! I used to eat it right out of the box. And I could eat half a box as dessert to my meal. Low fat crackers, rice cakes, chips were another problem. I no longer keep them in my house.

Those reading who have a six month diet before surgery; NOW is the time to learn new food habits. There are some behaviors which in us are hard wired. Many of us have real food problems. In these instances you need to make plans on how you will deal with these issues. At Easter or Christmas I allow myself to eat high cal/fat traditional Greek foods, or homemade Cookies. I don't however eat fried foods, candy, ect on daily, weekly or even monthly basis.

dont hate me but will be kinda tough here...as missy and sogo and honk and others say, measure/portion control and def stop at 1 cup.

just because you can eat more does not mean you should. that is why the majority of us needed WLS surgery. you have to make up your mind to eat like you have (restriction) even if you dont. i do not have any fills but i eat like i do. i made my mind up when i had insurance approval that i was gonna do whatever it took to make this band lifestyle work.

it is a lifestyle. you have to watch what you eat. change what you eat (from high fat/high salt/processed foods). you can eat what you want but in smaller portions and the band will help with that.

but unless you help the band, you wont do much losing.

those pains are signs for you to stop. chew small pieces, chew slowly (put fork down in between) and take at least 20-30 min to eat.

its up to you.

and how bad you want it.

all the best.

I have had two fills, but I still don't have much restriction. I'm at 5CCs in a 10CC band. I do exactly what Missy suggested to you. I measure out my food and I eat what is on my plate. (3 to 4 oz Protein, 1/4 cup veg) I never have "seconds". It has been an exercise in willpower, but it can be done. If I am still hungry, I will wait a minimum of 2 hours and then have a light string cheese, or other low cal snack.< /p>

You can do this. I never, ever thought I would have the willpower to do this, but I have bypassed oreos on more than one occasion. (This is big for me). Getting healthy and steadily losing weight is a great motivator.

Good Luck Missy... these ladies are exactly right. Yep, sometimes you eat something you shouldn't or too much, but you have to be aware of it and try to control it. It's hard but doable! Really try to think about "am I hungry" or do I just want to eat. Eat that protien first... it does make a difference. It's not always an easy journey, but sooooo worth it! Best of luck to you!

Get yourself smaller plates and eating utensils and measure, measure

How many times a day you have to eat (1cup)? Of meal?

Thanks everyone. I'm not eating the wrong things (have only like twice) but too much of the good things. I will start measuring. I did really well on post op diet (directly after surgery) but once allowed to move to solids/soft foods, it's been really hard.

I did just call my surgeon and they up'd my fill to this coming Monday instead of the following like I originally been scheduled for.

Also, they suggested everything you all stated here, smaller plates, Portion Control, Protein first.

I will start back today better. Eating yogurt now. They did say that while they prefer me only eating 3 meals a day, if I am just really hungry, TRUE hunger, I can have a snack that is Protein based, so I wont overeat at my meal.

Greek Yogurt is the best choice for yogurt; it has twice the Protein. For Breakfast I have a Greek yogurt (with fruit), half a scoop of Protein powder mixed in and some unflavored Fiber powder.

Once you are on solids mix in some high proten Cereal (such as Kashi Go Lean) and some chopped walnuts. That keeps me for 4-5 hours.

Plain grilled chicken breast or even chicken lunch meat or low fat cheese stick are good Protein based Snacks.

Yanet,

I eat 3 meals of 1 cup per day and maybe 1 snack if necessary. HTH

How many times a day you have to eat (1cup)? Of meal?