Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Menstral Cramps & Banding

I'm still in the process of figuring out if this is the route I truly want to go - mostly leaning toward yes.

However, I had heard a list of things you should/shouldn't do once banded, one was taking asprin or advil. It can eat at your stomach?

I get crippeling cramps for the first 2-3 days of my cycle and usually take ibprofen, however, sometimes that's not even strong enough. This is an aspect of getting banded that terrifies me. For example I was up at 4 am this morning with cramps so terrible I couldn't get back to sleep, and the ibprofen wasn't helping. So an hour later I was still groaning in pain.

I'm curious if anyone else has extreme cramping and what you do after you've been banded to help with them?

yes, i have horrid cramps (ever since i was a teenager)

my dr advised me to take only tylenol. and it helps

but i sure miss my motrin 800 that once a month.

hope you feel better :)

I take whatever meds I need to take. I do take aspirin for headaches, Ibuprofin for cramps - I even take an RX pain med for back pain. My doc warned me if I was apt to get ulcers not to take them, but I've never had one so I take them. Not sure why a band around your stomach hinders taking any meds at all. I don't get it. Tylenol doesn't work for anything for me. Good luck!

Marci

I would confirm with the doctor. Mine didn't say anything to me about it; however, I may be forgetting too. Since it is an occasional thing maybe it would be ok OR maybe there is something else they could give you. My daughter has an Rx for Naproxen and it seems to really help her. So there may be alternatives. At one point, they put her on the pill to regulate her cramps. Good luck!

Woo! This is good to hear, I'll definitely speak to my doctor about it too but this makes me feel loads better. It was the last thing Ive wanted to consider before getting it - thanks loves :]

How old are you?

If you are young and still anticipating having children then I would advocate using hormonal birth control as it is pretty effective at sorting out cramps.

If you have finished having children then maybe you should think about having a hysterectomy. I had one last year and it is great. No more cramps, no more heavy bleeding that lasted for weeks on end etc.

I'm 28, and I took b/c for a bit but decided not to keep taking it, as my periods are very regular, and it didn't seem to help my cramps. I haven't had any children yet, more than likely in the next 5 years we will try but so far we're working on adopting while I work on losing weight. I certainly do want a hysterectomy though as soon as I pop a few out! lol

I use to have debilitating cramps.....Bad!!!! After I had my first child they went away and now it's definitely manageable. It may be something that resolves itself for you too. Good luck!

That'd be lovely! lol and Thanks :D

Another option would to be on medication that alllows periods 3 to 4 times a year. Also you might want to take nsaid with something like prilosec to prevent ulcer from forming.

I was also told to avoid NSAIDs ie ibuprophen. I also have bad periods/cramps. I will say I think they are better as I've lost weight. At 42 I even had two periods this month. urggggg.

In general about NSAIDs. There is research that shows correlation between high levels of NSAID usage and blood clots. I was on a perscription strength NSAID for 8 months and had a stroke at 39!!! Came totally out of left field.

Whoa, I think I will definitely be talking to my doctor then about using something else for my cramps if I can :/

Tylonal isn't working for mine. I haven't talked To the dr about it yet, but I will be! I finally broke down this week and had to take Motrin for a migraine!!!!

For those that are done having kids but have bad monthly issues and aren't ready for a hysterectomy, I highly recommend you ask your ob/gyn about an endometrial ablation. Best money I have EVER spent (next to my band). I had mine in 2008, have nearly no cramping and nothing more than mild spotting when it is my tom. Ymmv, but I couldn't be happier with my results...