Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've heard so much about complications with lap band. I'm still weighing out options... band or sleeve? Any advice from anyone?

I had the same problem..I choose lap band..reason being as per my Dr it can be taken out if something goes wrong with it...the sleeve well that is permanent and can't b reversed..

I suggest you research all your options. I chose the lapband because it was less ivasive and it was adjustable. It had worked well for me, 7months post op and I'm down 65 lbs.

With all wls there is a lifestyle change, if you are willing to change you will succeed. Good luck to you.

i did a lot of research before i chose mine and watched a lot of youtube videos with testimonials and almost everyone who had some other kind of WLS said they wished they had done lap-band instead. or they were planning a second surgery to get the lap-band because they were unsuccessful with the first. with other WLS you have the surgery and are sent on your way with LB surgery you work more with your Surgeons team consisting of a dietitian a exercise physiologist and your surgeon. I think every surgery has complications nothing is perfect. and we all have health issues to begin with that's why we turned to WLS. LBT is a place were we can vent and express what's going on with our bodies so we know if it's normal or not. but in truth none of us are the same and all our journeys will be different. we can't compare ourselves to each other. but the common thread we all share is that we are all happy to have LB and each other. and i wouldn't change what i did for the world.

Well, I've just done some researching & found alot of people saying they went back to have the sleeve done after having the band, because they weren't having the success they expected or because of too many complications with the band. I weigh 290 lbs & am 5'6". My goal is to lose 115 lbs. If I have more weight to lose, would the sleeve be a better option for me?

Also, my cousin had the band done a year ago. She just found out that she has gall stones, & has to have her gall blatter removed. Her dr told her that happens with rapid weight lose in alot of people. She's done very well with her weight lose, although she wasn't as big as me, but has had alot of complications.

Please remember that as with all things unhappy people are more vocal that happy people. Even on this site someone who is having problems is more like to post looking for sympathy than someone who is doing really well with their weight loss journey.

Also, gall bladder problems are not a band complication. As the surgeon in that case mentioned large weight loss can lead to gall bladder problems in general. I had mine out at 19 after loosing a hundred pounds. This was years before being banded. I believe I had a genetic disposition to having gall bladder problems. All my mothers siblings (including boys) had theirs out; normally woman are more likely than men to have GB issues.

Also, my cousin had the band done a year ago. She just found out that she has gall stones, & has to have her gall blatter removed. Her dr told her that happens with rapid weight lose in alot of people. She's done very well with her weight lose, although she wasn't as big as me, but has had alot of complications.

with the lap-band it's a slower weight loss. and if that is a major concern then WLS is not for you. some people do elect to get LB and

Gastric Plication done at the same time. but that isn't really needed in my book if you follow the directions and rules of the LB