Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Pls - 3 Days Post Op, I Need Help With Protein

I am only 3 days out and on full liquids. I am barely eating, but sipping all day. I seem to be focused on getting Protein in and I can't stomach anything. Carnation Instant breakfasts milked down - the smell and taste, ensure clear Protein drinks - gag, threw 8 of them in the trash, didn't help watering them down, Protein powder mixed with pudding - that is in the trash, I purchased pudding from GNC 30g of Protein in chocolate pudding, gag, thank god the return policy. (the other half is in the freezer, hoping to make it better). I think tomorrow I just need to get food in me, regardless of protein because today and yesterday I have had 3oz greek yogourt each day, 3oz carnation Breakfast drink each day, and today I had 3oz of the nasty pudding. I can't stomach it and think the protein is making me not able to eat anything else.

Tomorrow, I am just going to eat regular yoguart, pudding, Soup and worry about getting food in and deal with the protein after that. I am not going to get very far with my recovery on 200 calories a day plus Water. I may go back to the Optifast shakes that I did pre surgery and get in 1 a day, I have extras.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can't wait to chew my protein.

I'm in Canada, will look, but might be easier for me to go to my Optifast in small portions until I can throw that chicken in the blender. I am going broke trying all these and GNC is going to be sick of me returning everything.

It's really too soon for you to be eating slider foods...this is your time to heal post op. You need the optimum nutrition for healing. That's what the whey Protein shakes are formulated to do.

The liquid diets are a &*$%#...no doubt about it, but there are valid medical reasons for them.

Let your surgeon's office know how you are doing post op, perhaps they will have some helpful suggestions for you.

It's really too soon for you to be eating slider foods...this is your time to heal post op. You need the optimum nutrition for healing. That's what the whey Protein shakes are formulated to do.

The liquid diets are a &*%#...no doubt about it' date=' but there are valid medical reasons for them.

Let your surgeon's office know how you are doing post op, perhaps they will have some helpful suggestions for you.[/quote']

Sojo is a very wise woman! J/S

Sojo is a very wise woman! J/S

Maddysgram...you're too much! :)

I'm no wiser than you are...but thanks for the kind compliment! B)

Split pea Soup that is creamy, not chunky, was a lifesaver. It has Protein built right into the beans! Lol. Campbells. Muscle milk, g3( gatoraide product), yogurt. Try adding an unflavored Protein powder( powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury is a good option).

Good luck! Keep going! You can do the liquids!

Maddysgram...you're too much! :)

I'm no wiser than you are...but thanks for the kind compliment! B)

I haven't been there and done that, but I know you speak the truth.

I've learn from the best !

I was told that the first few days you should focus most on getting in all the required liquids. If you are having so much problems with eating so soon, try to drink plain milk until you can stomach something more. It will pass as the gas is released, I could only do small amounts of food and had a hard time with puddings, Jello, etc as they made me nauseous.

I added the unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder to beef and chicken broth. ( you can't make the Soup above a certain temp or the Protein deactivates or some crap) Also mixed it into my Gatorade g2 or crystal light that I sipped on all day.

As far as Protein shakes, I like Bariatric fusion chocolate mouse the best. I also think I remember my dietician talking about double strength milk- I think you can add powered milk to your regular milk for your shakes to give it a boost if your having hard time fittin in all the protein.

I really wouldn't throw in the towel though and just follow your own game plan. You're in recovery and there's a reason we require a special diet :) best of luck

I did mostly my shakes days 3 thru 7 post op but it was mainly because I was terrified I would choke to death if I tried anything thicker. I really enjoyed my pure Protein Shakes with skim milk, a packet of splenda and some mixed fruit. It is still yummy and I find that I like it as my Breakfast since I am not much of a scrambled egg person.

Good luck and I hope you feel better! Post op sucks and it seems like it will never end. I have to do one more friggin' "mushie" week and then I can try solids.

Thanks everyone, I have some Optifast left and may try that until I can get hold of the surgeons office. I have the greek yoguart which is good and gatoraid recovery which has Protein. I will try to get creative with my Unjury and give my surgeons office a call. I just am having a really hard time with the smell and taste of the high Protein Drinks. 10 more days on liquid........I can do it.

The shakes should be fine but if you are having more gas pains, check the Fiber level. Too much fiber makes more gas which is painful. Send someone to GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe and ask them for a Meal Replacement powder that is low fiber but tastes good. They might have some ore-mixed shakes too. Get a few different favors and brands to try. And yes, plain milk is fine too if you can tolerate it. Good luck.