Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is There Such A Thing As Too Much Protein?

I am having a hard time keeping caloric intake up while on the pre-op plan.

I am already eating/drinking when I am not hungry.

Would it be terrible to add another shake a day for calories? I really don't want to drink another one, but eating cottage cheese all day doesn't sound any more appealing.

SF pudding... Jello... applesauce ... oatmeal... I would have to eat A LOT to close the gap between what I am getting and the .5 BMR to stay out of starvation mode.

Thanks in advance for your input!!

I'm not sure why you need to keep up your calorie intake. If you are not hungry then don't eat. Eating when not hungry is 1 reason most of us got fat in the first place.

Agreed... BUT... only getting 650-750 calories a day IS bad. You are supposed to get at least half of your BMR in to stay out of starvation mode. For me...that is 955 calories.

I know starvation mode doesn't often - but could - start as soon as 3 days. I am finally dropping at a decent rate so I don't want to slow down. This morning I had burnt twice as many calories as I had gotten in b/c I wasn't hungry.

Even post-op, my dietician recommends not waiting til your hungry to eat. The thought is something small every four hrs to keep your metabolism up.

I can def tell you I had plateaued & was still busting butt at the gym. The ONLY thing that helped was bumping up intake a bit. I did that & started dropping - more than 10 pounds in a month pre-banding.

the Protein whey shots help me a lot (42 grams of protein) ... if I don't have one, I tend to eat more

What I'd worry about is not too much Protein but too much of the other crap that's in Protein shakes - the list if ingredients frightens me off them.

What I'd do is add some more fibre, Protein, good fats and nutrition with something like a banana and berry smoothie made with milk and a big heaping spoon of ground flaxseed, so many other thing in there that your body needs that Protein Shakes dont provide you and 300 calories or more, easy.

What I'd worry about is not too much Protein but too much of the other crap that's in Protein shakes - the list if ingredients frightens me off them.

What I'd do is add some more fibre' date=' protein, good fats and nutrition with something like a banana and berry smoothie made with milk and a big heaping spoon of ground flaxseed, so many other thing in there that your body needs that Protein Shakes dont provide you and 300 calories or more, easy.[/quote']

Right now I am pretty limited. I am trying to follow my pre-op diet hardcore and not deviate.

I was thinking Proteins are broken down by the kidneys and I had low renal function awhile back. It resolved, but just curious what 110 grams of protein a day will do.

The body can only absorb about 25g of Protein at a time, but I am not sure if there are any problems getting too much.mi would assume the body gets rid of it without using it if you eat too much at one time.

I would recommend drinking something healthy like a glass of milk or 100% fruit juice If you really feel you need to bump your calories.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

I can't even do milk with all of my shakes as it is b/c it bothers my stomach and only allowed diluted juice at this time.

I am allowed oatmeal. Who knew plain old oatmeal was 150 calories per half cup? It is on my approved pre-op so even tho it's gross... it's something.

I will def keep these other thoughts in mind for when I am on the other side!

I'm lactose intolerant - I buy lactose free milk nd yogurt.

I have also got low renal function following cancer treatment - don't know why yet. I have been told by my onc to have a fairly moderate amount of Protein, I think 110 g is way too much if you know your kidneys are under stress! But that's my personal opinion, not a medical one.

Right now I am pretty limited. I am trying to follow my pre-op diet hardcore and not deviate.

I was thinking Proteins are broken down by the kidneys and I had low renal function awhile back. It resolved' date=' but just curious what 110 grams of Protein a day will do.[/quote']

I'm glad to see you're following Drs orders hardcore, thats what we're suppose to do. So good for you!!!

I would call & talk with your dietitian or Dr.and voice your concerns & problems and see what they say.IMO

Yeah... I think I will email Vicki in the morning.

Nothing alerted the team on pre-op labs so I am confident renal function is somewhere in the normal range now. I could just be over thinking it. I know how taxing surgery is on the whole body so I am just thinking out loud.