Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled for my surgery on 9/24/12. I am reconsidering doing the lap band. Been doing research online and everyone who has had it has had reflux, vomiting and nausea afterward. Saw horror stories about punctured bowels and this scares the crap out of me with my Crohn's (have had it for 25 years and my GI doc and Vallina approved lap band surgery). Called my surgeon's office and talked to nurse and I talked to him a bit about how I tell people about my surgery, they say "my [cousin, mom, neighbor, etc.] had that surgery and they were nausesous all the time, vomiting, losing their hair....." freaks me out. He said that he had never heard that (which I find hard to believe that none of his patients experienced this). When I spoke with surgeon the other day, he said that I shouldn't be vomiting too much post-surgery as it can make the band slip. But what if I experience vomiting that I can't help even if I follow the diet to the "t"?

So I am freaking out! Not sure what to do! Just forego surgery and join Weight Watchers (again for the 20th time) and continue the yo yo my whole life? See a therapist to adjust my head's relationship with food with WW or with lap band?

I am scared!

Anyone have lap band surgery performed by Dr. Vallina?

Anyone with Crohn's have this surgery performed? Did it affect Crohn's

Regret doing surgery due to excessive vomiting, reflux, etc.? Why do people experience vomiting, reflux, etc? Eat too much or eat too quickly?

Any encouragement or advice would be greatly appreciated. Help!!

The vomiting that your talking about is referred to as a PB or productive burp and is not the same as regular vomiting. It happens as the cause of user error, either by taking too big of bites and not chewing the food well enough, drinking while eating, or eating foods that expand (like breads). I still eat bread but have to take small bites and chew or else it obstructs the opening to the

stomach.

As for hair loss, it can be a reaction to general anesthesia or it can be a result of not eating enough Protein (a good way to find Protein needs is body weight x 0.3 = minimum grams of protein per day).

As for reflux, it is caused by your band having too much saline, which is referred to as being too tight. Being too right can also lead to stuck episodes, PB episodes, or someone eating slider foods (chips, Cookies, milkshakes) because they cannot eat nutritious foods. The remedy for this is to have a slight removal of saline.

Some panic is normal prior to any love changing thing, so your fear is understandable.

I am scheduled for my surgery on 9/24/12. I am reconsidering doing the lap band. Been doing research online and everyone who has had it has had reflux, vomiting and nausea afterward. Saw horror stories about punctured bowels and this scares the crap out of me with my Crohn's (have had it for 25 years and my GI doc and Vallina approved lap band surgery). Called my surgeon's office and talked to nurse and I talked to him a bit about how I tell people about my surgery, they say "my [cousin, mom, neighbor, etc.] had that surgery and they were nausesous all the time, vomiting, losing their hair....." freaks me out. He said that he had never heard that (which I find hard to believe that none of his patients experienced this). When I spoke with surgeon the other day, he said that I shouldn't be vomiting too much post-surgery as it can make the band slip. But what if I experience vomiting that I can't help even if I follow the diet to the "t"?

So I am freaking out! Not sure what to do! Just forego surgery and join Weight Watchers (again for the 20th time) and continue the yo yo my whole life? See a therapist to adjust my head's relationship with food with WW or with lap band?

I am scared!

Regret doing surgery due to excessive vomiting, reflux, etc.? Why do people experience vomiting, reflux, etc? Eat too much or eat too quickly?

Calm down, I'm 21 days post-op. I vomitted once right after surgery, they tell you to expect to vomit maybe 1 or 2 times. Your stomach will be empty so it won't be much. They give you suppositories to combat the vomitting. No reflux or any other difficulties and I had a small fill at surgery. Some people do have complications but that doesn't mean you will. I think we all go through panic mode right before surgery I know I did, paid attention to all the horror stories and didn't look at all the success stories. You'll be fine.

I can understand your concerns. I don't have Crohns but i was scared to death of puking. I was banded at the beginning of July. I've felt great, no nausea, not losing my hair. There was once, where I had a bite of cake and then mistakenly drank right afterwards. I don't know if it was the cake or the drinking or the combination of both but I got that feeling that it had to come up. I dreaded it but finally, it did and I felt better. If anything, this just cured my craving for cake :) You won't know what it feels like until it happens. Learn from it.

This site, among others, its great but it is also horrible! Trust your doctor AND your body. You've lived with crohns for so long that you know how your body reacts to that. So, if your doctor approved the surgery in spite of having crohns then I'm sure you'll be fine. If anything, get a second opinion from a doctor who has experience with crohns patients.

Good luck - but if you don't feel you are emotionally ready and would like more answers then postpone the surgery until you are comfortable.

Ok, first.... BREATHE!!!

I am not sure where you have been reading as you are describing the extreme cases, not the norm. Sure, there are no guarantees; however, most people go through the procedure without those difficulties. Yes, you have to learn to eat slower, smaller portions and there are a few foods you may not be able to eat going forward (dry meats, doughy bread...). You may have a "stuck" episode and you learn how to not have it happen again after it passes. It isn't a daily occurence and preventable.

The only time people seem to have reflux issues is if the band is too tight (after several fills). It is quickly and easily remedied after removing a bit of the Fluid. Yes, there are risks with this and ANY surgery so I am not trying to minimize that. It just sounds like you are associating that with most people's experience.

It is true that EXCESSIVE (not the occasional) vomitting can harm the band's placement. However, if you were to be ill (flu, etc) you could ask your reg. dr for anti-nausea meds to remedy that (as many do). Also, think about how much you have vomitted in the past year. Guessing it didn't happen too often.

It sounds like you are trying to sabbotage yourself with pre-surgery jitters. It is natural to be nervous as you start this journey. I would urge you to go back to what brought you to this decision rather than focusing on all the "what-ifs". Remember too that if you were to have "issues" this surgery is completely reversible should you have adverse effects. I agree w/ Angela above that if your doctor still approved for you to have the surgery, knowing you have Chrons, then they must not be concerned about it.

I had my surgery through the same hospital you will (guessing CDH). My surgeon was Dr. Klem. However, I will say, Dr. Vallina performed an emergency appendectomy on my some years back and he was a WONDERFUL and thorough doctor (and not too hard on the eyes, lol). Personally, I have a lot of faith in Dr. Vallina from my prior experience. He was an excellent doctor. The only reason I didn't go through him for my lap band procedure was it was easier for me to get to Dr. Klem's office. When I had asked, Dr. Klem told me he has been doing this for years and has not had any issues like you described.

In life, if you keep doing the same things, you will keep getting the same results. The choice to do the surgery is yours. Just try to make that decision based on real statistics as you appear to be honing in on the extreme, worst case scenarios. Have you attended any of the support group meetings at CDH? I think they are the 3rd or 4th Monday of every month at the hospital. They are hosted by a dietician and offer great advice and you will meet others in varied stages of the process.

I had my surgery on 7/25/12 and haven't looked back. There are days that are difficult but it hasn't been from the band. It has been from the emotional adjustment to food and eating healthier.

Good luck to you. I would be happy to speak with you further if you would like. I also agree with Angela, if you are not ready then postpone this until you are. Though it really sounds like a case of "stage-fright" to me. ;)

Been doing research online and everyone who has had it has had reflux, vomiting and nausea afterward.

-Not true, not by a long shot. In fact you're not supposed to vomit after the band and they give you meds to assure you don't. As for reflux, that's a sign of the band being too tight or slipped and not at all a normal part of banded life.

Saw horror stories about punctured bowels

-I'm not sure what you saw, but the band has absolutely nothing to do with your bowels and isn't even touching them. It's on your stomach. I don't know even know how a band puncturing bowels could be physically possible.

"my [cousin, mom, neighbor, etc.] had that surgery and they were nausesous all the time, vomiting, losing their hair....." freaks me out

-Any surgery can cause Hair loss because of the anesthetic and drugs used during it. As for nauseous and vomiting all the time, again, they give you meds to avoid that. Once you're healed it's not an issue.

See a therapist to adjust my head's relationship with food with WW or with lap band?

-Actually, yes, that's likely a good idea regardless of your decision. The band is a great tool to appease our appetite and hunger but it can't fix our heads. I think most people who are considering or have had WLS could really benefit from therapy.

You have a couple weeks, I would research the band (actual facts, not anecdotal evidence or horror stories). It is a very big decision and not one to be taken lightly. And, trust your surgeon. If you trust him enough to consider letting him operate on you, then trust his advice on the matter too.

Best wishes on whatever you decide.

Thanks all for your information.

I do agree that this is definitely the jitters while at the same time, I am trying to be as informed as possible about my surgery and the Internet is a wonderful and scary place. :) I love Dr. Vallina as he inserted my port a cath to receive Remicade IV treatments for my Crohn's and he removed my gall bladder just 3 weeks after my twins were born. I have all the confidence in the world in him. This process has been a year in the making but now that insurance has approved it, it's more "real" than ever.

I am a pretty active heavier person. Licensed to teach Zumba Fitness so exercise has never been an issue. The darn food has. :) I agree that this is something we all have to deal with in our heads too. Look at Carnie Wilson. She had bariatric surgery but still gained all the weight back. Have to change the way we think about food. My motto is "Eat to Live and not live to eat."

As for the bowel perforation, it can occur during the surgery when the surgeon nicks the bowel during the operation.

Thanks again all! Keep the comments and advice coming! :)

I am scheduled for my surgery on 9/24/12. I am reconsidering doing the lap band. Been doing research online and everyone who has had it has had reflux' date=' vomiting and nausea afterward. Saw horror stories about punctured bowels and this scares the crap out of me with my Crohn's (have had it for 25 years and my GI doc and Vallina approved lap band surgery). Called my surgeon's office and talked to nurse and I talked to him a bit about how I tell people about my surgery, they say "my [cousin, mom, neighbor, etc.'] had that surgery and they were nausesous all the time, vomiting, losing their hair....." freaks me out. He said that he had never heard that (which I find hard to believe that none of his patients experienced this). When I spoke with surgeon the other day, he said that I shouldn't be vomiting too much post-surgery as it can make the band slip. But what if I experience vomiting that I can't help even if I follow the diet to the "t"?

I am scared!

I don't have any trouble I had mine 8/6:12 and my first fill today I have no regrets and I fell blessed to have a 2ed chance at a good life.

My honest opinion, if you're having second thoughts. Wait. I WISH I had not had the surgery, not because I've had any negative side effects. I have only PB'd once and never gotten truly stuck. Felt things going down real slow at times and I will not pretend I was not in pain, but I don't think (from reading) I was truly stuck). I don't really have much of anything in my band (because I don't want it).

I feel the surgery did change my life in it changed the way I eat and gave me a true love for working out. But if I had to do it again, I would not do it. And if given the opportunity I would have my band removed in a heartbeat. I don't go back to my doctor because last time I did he wanted to give me a fill because I was kind of plateauing (which I still kind of am), but I have no desire to lose weight that way. I worry about the risk of slip (though it probably would be real hard and probably no big deal with virtually nothing in my band.) I also worry about erosion. Jeez I kind of wish I knew about that pre op, since that would be one reason I did not want bypass due to possible septic peritonitis if your GI contents leak.

So yeah, my recommendation is wait and try harder changing your life the right way (like I wish I did).

I'm 6 months post op and I didn't vomit right off, it took me 5 months to experience it. It was my fault and not my doctor or the band bc I either ate right after drinking or vice versus. At 4.5 filled, I was still able to eat Krispy Kreme doughnuts and 6" subs from subway & I gained 12lbs bk.:-( Now I just got another fill and I'm feeling more restricted and I love it bc I'm eager to lose weight and make better decisions about what I enter into my body. My starting weight was 325lbs I got down to 275 & now I'm 284 & I'm DETERMINDED to lose more & keep it off. Good luck & blessings to us all (banders) to stay strong and defeat the fat monster.

As for the bowel perforation, it can occur during the surgery when the surgeon nicks the bowel during the operation.

Thanks again all! Keep the comments and advice coming! :)

I'm having a hard time visualizing how the bowel could get nicked during band placement, since the bowel is down south and the stomach is up north. The surgeon would have to be massively inept to nick the bowel while placing the port, because the port is situated between the abdominal muscles and the subcutaneous fat beneath the skin. There would be no logical reason for the surgeon to make an opening into the abdominal cavity while placing the port. The organ that's most at risk for perforation during band surgery is the liver, not the bowel. Which is why most surgeons require patients to follow a pre-op liver shrink diet.

As for the Crohn's disease, if your GI doc OK'd the band for you, I think you've got to stop obessessing about it. Bad things happen to good people all the time and every kind if surgery has some kind of risk.

I’m going to be having mine with Vallina too - did any of the other surgeries he performs sound appealing?

Hi, I was banded this August, never vomited, but did ask for a scopalomin (sp) patch pre-surgery. My band was the best choice for me. I am rather anal about following rules and haven't had an issue yet. I know what you mean about bad outcomes on the internet but there will always be issues with anything. Not for nothing, but the issues with staying heavy are huge. I'm already off my bp meds and am only on cholesterol medication till I have a blood test. If it helps, look at the comments on your favorite product at Amazon.com. Even the best item has people who gave poor reviews. Surgery is serious and you should question it, but also keep a clear head about it. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

My honest opinion, if you're having second thoughts. Wait. I WISH I had not had the surgery, not because I've had any negative side effects. I have only PB'd once and never gotten truly stuck. Felt things going down real slow at times and I will not pretend I was not in pain, but I don't think (from reading) I was truly stuck). I don't really have much of anything in my band (because I don't want it).

I feel the surgery did change my life in it changed the way I eat and gave me a true love for working out. But if I had to do it again, I would not do it. And if given the opportunity I would have my band removed in a heartbeat. I don't go back to my doctor because last time I did he wanted to give me a fill because I was kind of plateauing (which I still kind of am), but I have no desire to lose weight that way. I worry about the risk of slip (though it probably would be real hard and probably no big deal with virtually nothing in my band.) I also worry about erosion. Jeez I kind of wish I knew about that pre op, since that would be one reason I did not want bypass due to possible septic peritonitis if your GI contents leak.

So yeah, my recommendation is wait and try harder changing your life the right way (like I wish I did).

Jess55, Why is your way the "right way" and my way not? Negative comments like this are not needed. Everyone has to travel their own journey. What works for me might not work for you, but that doesn't mean my way is right and your's is not. The band is a TOOL just like a gym membership or a treadmill. It doesn't work if you don't work it. Try to be more sensitive to other's when you comment.