Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused. Can Eat Anything And Nothing... Help!

Hi, I'm hoping for some advice from people who have had the lap band a long time...

WTH is going on??? I'm so confused.

On one had, I know I totally need a fill because I didn't get one last month (was going on vacation in the desert and didn't want to worry about being able to hydrate enough) and got a tiny one the month before, could have gotten more for sure... I'm constantly hungry lately and can eat normal, pre-band portions without feeling full. And I'm gaining weight...

But on the other hand, I suddenly have trouble eating in the mornings and can't eat a whole bunch of things I've never had trouble with. For the first 5 months after surgery the band was filling me up, but I never got stuck and I had never thrown up... Now I get stuck almost every day on something and it hurts! This morning I had two bites of scrambled eggs and was extremely careful to chew into a pulp before swallowing, but ended up throwing up. And yet two hours earlier I was able to take 4 large capsule pills with no problem... And yesterday I was in the airport and had to go throw up a bite of hamburger, but 20 minutes later could eat an entire bagel with absolutely no problem. WTH??

How can I be empty and full at the same time? And why am I suddenly having pain from one bite of something when I know I'm empty? I'm not sure I should go for the fill, but I KNOW that I need it.

FYI I got back from vacation last Monday, so I should be normal by now, no??

What do you think?

you may need an unfill or

after each fill there will be things you can and cannot eat anymore.

Scrambled eggs are out for me. I can only eat an egg over easy. Left overs are difficult. No more bread , rice or Pasta for me. After a fill your body has to heal then when it come into effect you will find out what you can eat.

You may chew something to a pulp but if it is too dry it will get stuck.

chew chew chew, small bites and moist and it still may get stuck. Sometimes it is ok today and not tomorrow. Fickle fickle band!

wendy

Hi Wendy, I haven't had a fill in 2 months... But I have been traveling...

eggs have been fine all along, but suddenly aren't, even without getting a fill for two months... I can eat bread, rice and past with no problem, but threw up from rice a few days ago... Raw carrots and salad are fine, but some bacon (like a TINY piece well chewed) was a problem...

I'm going crazy, I don't understand the rules anymore.

You are not crazy. I'm the same way. I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary (10/10) and I had my last fill in July (skipped August). I have between 3 and 4cc's in my band. My stomach is very senstive and I can't handle large fills. Anyways, one day, I can eat whatever I want, as much as I want (though I don't), and others, everything gets stuck. I have even gotten stuck on a Protein Shake one day. Tell me how that's possible?? But, what I have found is that the more liquid you drink between meals, the more flexible your band is. On day's I don't drink enough Water, I'm very tight and get stuck a lot. Other days where I drink all day long, I'm comfortable and loose. That's how I prefer to be. I go tomorrow for my Sept checkup. Not sure if I will get a fill or not. I'm still loosing, but it has slowed. Good luck.

It depends on what you're eating, when you're eating, how much you're eating, and you've been traveling. The band tightens up the higher the elevation. Plus you've been throwing up a lot, so you could be swollen when you try to eat something you could eat the day before.

These are all factors you need to think about when you eat. You signed up for a lifetime of understanding your body and what you're doing to it when you got the band. It's not easy, but it's doable. Keep a journal of what you STE, when you ate, how much you ate, if you for stuck, if you had to throw up, how much Water you had, and if you had it before/after/during a meal.

I read something the other day that says the band is tight in the morning due to Water retention. One of the easiest ways to combat water retention is to drink more water (confusingly enough). This could account for why eating is easier with more water between meals.

My band is fickle. It likes a routine. Its not fond of trying new foods so when I do... I have to eat very slowly and make sure I chew better than normal. My band doesnt like me eating on the run. Like in an airport. Even though I try to slow down its not enough for my band. My bands dislikes fatty foods and grease. You said you threw up a hamburger.... well a hamburger is pretty greasy so that doesnt surprise me. Maybe your band is fickle too.

I cannot eat scrambled eggs unless its around lunchtime as my band is tighter in the morning. I have no idea why. It just is.

I am surprised you can swallow large capsules or eat an entire bagel. Have you discussed this all with your Dr? I found that that was the best way to determine if I needed a fill until I had lived with the band long enough. And even now he usually tries to talk me out of it.

Dang Yall, I am here because I was so upset over my current status. I got a fill on 7/30 and have restriction for the first time at 5.5cc. My band has always been fickle, time of day, day of the week or wheather changes can make my band do whatever it wants. A stormfront came in and as I was moving around the house I could feel my band getting tight. I have only recently(belive it or not) started to experience hunger. However, it is never before 11p.m., no matter what I had for dinner. I am now having trouble getting in my fluids, I just can't get around to drinking enough and I am gaining without really getting enough to eat. pills go down well, but I have had somedays when Water will give me pain or even my own salava, srambled eggs don't work, but a well toasted bun will. No pbing or thorwing up, but I have experienced pain when swallowing. I can really feel the food or drink going down and causing the pain. I stop eating and it passes in 3 or 4 minuets. I also noticed that if I don't sip, Water seems to pool/puddle on the left side and I can feel it sloshing around under my breast. I have allergies and I don't know how much this comes into play as each year has been different. Right now, my lips are burning, my eyes itch and I feel like I ate a whole cow. Truth is today I have had some of a small salad, part of a baked potato, SFCIB drink, 2 glasses of tea, 3 glasses of water and 1 cup of coffee. My night gas exploations are almost gone, but I am almost always bloated!

For the first time since 3/09 I really feel helpless. I am now an emotional eater and eating the wrong things, which I am sure is part of the reason for the gain.

I would make an appt to see your doctor. That does not sound good. You shouldn't have pain when drinking liquids. Just a slight unfill might help you.

I agree! Get a tiny unfill. When you struggle with liquids it's a sure sign you are too tight. I believe I only have 3 ccs in an 11cc band & I am in the green zone right now. Dont lose hope- go see your dr. Good luck & keep us posted.

Update -- I got a fill on monday (doc offered to fill .7 but I requested .5) and I'm doing great!! In fact, it seemed to make everything more predictable. I can't eat as much, I'm not hungry, and I guess because I'm being careful I'm not getting stuck!

Ok here's the deal: I am almost banded 2 years. Some people are very right in the morning and can eat a truckload at night. My doc says to tighten to adjust to the nighttime volume. There are ways to deal with the morning.

I drink a very hot coffee 7 am when I get up. This keeps me until 9:30/10 am. It opens up. The stoma. Apparently when you lay down your body fluids can settle in the band area and make it tighter. The hot liquid relaxes the muscle and lets it drain the Fluid.

I choose "safe" Breakfast foods like a Protein shake or Protein Bar.

If you are tight before a meal have a hot drink or Soup to prime the band. That's why you can have a bite of hamburger and be full, then plow through a bagel. Your band was not primed. Used to happen to me all the time. Bagels can also be slider foods as they are carbs. Try to avoid carbs and focus on Protein by drinking hot first.

Good luck!