Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Move On After Messing Up???

I am just over 4 weeks post op. I have been doing really good with what I eat. Tonight....oh tonight....I had messed up big time.

Depression has kicked in big time for me. The kid wanted pizza. I caved and ordered pizza Hut. For dinner I had 2 pieces of thin crust with pepperoni, green peppers, and onions.

I feel horrible physically and, far worse, emotionally. Eating to soothe depression. Old habit. Now I am even more depressed.

Anyone been there? How do you move on from this feeling of failure and disgust?

My response may surprise you, but the problem isn't the fact you had pizza. The problem is why you had pizza. But here's the good part- you are aware of it. That is half the battle.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Just be aware of emotional eating and try your very best not to do it. Tomorrow is a new day so start fresh and optimistic that it will be a good one.

My response may surprise you, but the problem isn't the fact you had pizza. The problem is why you had pizza. But here's the good part- you are aware of it. That is half the battle.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Just be aware of emotional eating and try your very best not to do it. Tomorrow is a new day so start fresh and optimistic that it will be a good one.

i agree.. one episode doesnt mean you are a failure. i think that nearly everyone here has had episodes where things havent gone according to plan. its a huge thing going on in your life, and in ours as well. Lots of different aspects of why we overate in the first place ... they will all have to be dealt with eventually. The thing is... it wont happen overnight. Dont expect too much of yourself. Just take it a day at a time. Dont stres and worry about yesterday... today is enough to concern yourself with. You will do well... despite having odd episodes where you dont eat right. Thats human. it doesnt mean this surgery isnt going to be successful. Is depression a big thing with you?? if it is then perhaps seeing a dr about some meds may help you. I think that everyone has highs and really deep lows... i know im up and down a lot. REcognising that it will pass with me helps a lot. good luck, and if the depression is a big problem that is ongoign then seek some advice on it.

I have medication for depression. Today has just been an unusually bad day. No excuse to do what I did though, I know that.

I have medication for depression. Today has just been an unusually bad day. No excuse to do what I did though, I know that.

But do you realize the pizza isn't the problem? I eat pizza about once a month with my kids. I don't mean healthy homemade pizza, I mean the fatty calorie buster variety like you had tonight. 90% of the time, I follow my diet religiously, but 10% of the time I just eat what I want because I want it. I've lost a lot of weight in a relatively short period of time so obviously it hasn't hurt my efforts, either.

You don't need an excuse to do what you did, you're human. I do think you're being way, way too hard on yourself about it. Why not embrace this as a learning experience rather than dwell on it as a failure? You realize you're prone to emotional eating so now you can be aware of it. That's a positive. Mistakes are only mistakes if you learn nothing from them, otherwise, they're learning experiences. Make this a learning experience.

as always Mis73's insights are awesome

I too, had a very bad day today and am feeling horrible. BUT if we continue to feel sad/miserable about the fact we cheated, we will be even MORE prone to fail. Keep your head held high and remember tomorrow is another day.

Be honest with yourself about why you cheated and write it down. That way you will be more aware of your pitfalls and how to avoid them.

According to your ticker you ALREADY lost 24 LBS!!!

THATS AMAZING!! Just remember that now you are 24 pounds lighter forever

Mistakes happen. You owned it, now pick yourself up and move on. You can do this!

I am just over 4 weeks post op. I have been doing really good with what I eat. Tonight....oh tonight....I had messed up big time.

Depression has kicked in big time for me. The kid wanted pizza. I caved and ordered pizza Hut. For dinner I had 2 pieces of thin crust with pepperoni, green peppers, and onions.

I feel horrible physically and, far worse, emotionally. Eating to soothe depression. Old habit. Now I am even more depressed.

Anyone been there? How do you move on from this feeling of failure and disgust?

ok, you ate it

pretty sure its pooped out

cant do nothing now

move on and do better today

*you are not dieting*

eat to live and not live to eat

nothing is off limits. eat small amounts of whatever you want.

pizza every so often wont hurt.

so now, lets end this pity woe is me party and

get back on with living

today :wub:

I try not to look too deep into pizza. You screw up... It happens. Next time have one piece instead of 2. That won't hurt a thing...

And look on the bright side...Right now you are not in the green zone... When you are I doubt you will be able to eat 2 pieces. Thats what makes the band so wonderful when used correctly.

I started this journey with the idea I will never do the traditional dieting approach EVER again. Sure, I do track my foods to get me back on track if I feel I'm not doing as hot as I could be, but nothing is off limits for me now. I don't feel deprived, and I only eat small portions of whatever I want that isn't diet approved.

Like Mis said, you need to deal with the underlying issues of why you ate something you think you shouldn't instead of being upset about eating it. There is a huge mental aspect with WLS and the sooner we come to terms with these things, the faster we are able to know why we do/did things to sabotage previous efforts.

You are not a failure.

Thank you all so much. I really do appreciate the support.