Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, there. I was banded on 8/31, have had gas issues, but the actual gas pain is getting less and less. I had a hernia repair. I feel like I have a gas bubble in the center of my chest, or I assume that's what it is. I guess it could be the hernia repair??? At any rate, trying to walk in the house. 100+ degrees in Texas and not released to drive or do treadmill yet. Anyone else have this sensation?

We were banded the same day!!! I too had the gas bubble..but every thing is good now. I'm back at work and feeling great. I also has the hernia repair. Are u doing good with staying hydrated?

Hey, Nikki ! Awesome to hear you are doing so well. Having difficulty staying hydrated and getting Protein in. Today I managed 21 grams. I think I was on my way to ding dehydrated yesterday, but have done better today. Everything makes me nauseous. Going to try some Tomato Soup and applesauce in a bit. Let's keep in touch!

I had awful gas the first 10 days or so. About day 5 or 6 even just my saliva going down felt like a huge air bubble going down. I ended up with this awful feeling of needing to burp constantly and nothing would come out! I ended up chewing on a clean rag just to prevent swallowing any air bubbles...It was not one of my prettier moments. It passed after about 3-4 days. I had surgery 8/20 and am pretty much back to normal. The air escapes suddenly and I'm constantly surprised by how little warning there is to a burp, but no more pain!! It gets better and I'm ready to start my full workout routine now!

Banded 8/20/2012 - Heaviest: 512 - Current: 461

Hey guys! I was banded on 8/30 and have the exact same sensations. I also had a large hernia repair at the time my band was placed. I feel better today but last night was tough. For me constant Gas X use, sipping hot tea and broth, and moving around have made a difference today. Also, try not to get dehydrated, it makes the symptoms worse. I suspect that we may also be having some Vagal nerve stimulation as well. Nonetheless, it's common and gets better.

Can someone explain the vagal nerve? I have seen it mentioned here a few times. Googled it but I guess I dont understand. I am 2 weeks banded and since then have always had chest pain.

Can someone explain the vagal nerve? I have seen it mentioned here a few times. Googled it but I guess I dont understand. I am 2 weeks banded and since then have always had chest pain.

Your symptoms are not soley from stimulation or compression of the Vagal nerve of course. Most people have a hiatal hernia that was repaired at the time of banding, the top of the stomach is still healing and we take bites that are too large when eating, and drinking with our new device. That having been said the Vagal nerve is the 10th cranial nerve, a nerve that passes through the skull, and has both sensory and motor properties. It controls digestion, swallowing, heartrate, bloodpressure, and many other functions. The nerve, as it relates to gastric banding, passes through the diaphragm and runs across the upper part of the stomach. When you are banded or have a hiatal hernia repair the nerve is compressed and can cause symptoms such as chest pressure and/or dysphasia or difficulty swallowing. Nonetheless it is self-limiting and will improve over time. Keep in touch August folks!

Thank you so much for explaining so well. I, too, had the lump in my chest. For three days, it was very very uncomfortable and every time I moved I would get very nauseous. I woke up this morning, and, although the feeling of the lump in chest is still there, it hasn't been as bad. The nausea isn't quite as bad. Today is my Day 7. So relieved to feel a little better.

Yaaay us! I'm day 8 and got moved to soft solids today. Good to go through this with someone else. Now if this gassy belly would just go down some. :)

Yes, banded 8/31, wondering when swelling will go down.

Thanks for info! i appreciate it.