Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Fill...normal To Be Able To Eat Lots?

Hello my sister! I was banded on 8-22 and have been really hungry on this liquid only post op diet plan! I can eat Soup, Protein drinks, and small amounts of pudding & yogurt (no fruit). and I feel physically hungry if I don't eat something every 3-4 hours. I tend to drink my fluids throughout the day, but have yet to make 2 days with all 64oz in a row. I don't like Water and I can't have my Lipton green tea mixed berry because it has caffeine in it...so Powerade zero and flavored water, ugh. But I haven't had a diet coke in over 3 weeks!!!! It's the small victories... :rolleyes:

Consider me your sister in this journey and we'll all get there together. I have my first follow up with my physician on Friday...WIll let you know what he lets me advance to... I won't get my first fill until Oct 1. :(

Onward! Day by day!

I was actually coming to ask something similar. I had surgery on Aug. 7th. My first fill will be on Sept. 20th. It seems like FOREVER. The last few days I have found myself feeling hungry often. Actual stomach growling hungry. I eat 3 meals a day, 300-400 calories per meal per my dr's instructions. Sometimes I am still left feeling hungry at the end of the day.

My question was going to be does this get better after finally getting the first fill.....?

I got my band 8/20 and have no Fluid put in til next month. My Drs diet post op is week 1 liquid' date=' week 2 mushies into soft foods, week 3/4 soft introducing solids as tolerated. Im almost to week 3 and Im actually able to eat most anything. (I've found a few soft foods that don't agree yet, so I steer clear.) I stick to mushies mostly, lots of low fat cottage cheese and really soft scrambled eggs. Had one instance with eggs where i probably ate too many and it hurt for awhile. I was also able to eat a small enchilada with some cheese and a soggy corn tortilla today with refried Beans. Ok, so not the healthiest of choices but went down just fine no issues coming back up. Here's my problem - I had a conversation with my boss who is a yr and a half post op and she has me super freaked out. Her surgeon required 6 weeks liquid diet post op and pre filled her band with 3ccs at time of surgery. I can eat so much compared to normal newbies (1-1.5 cup) before i feel resistance of any kind... But she made me feel like i am doing terrible and i caused damage already from eating solid food already! Im having some difficulty breaking old habits ya, but i felt I was doing much better. I just hate feeling like i could have possibly done damage or something...Ahh!! Am I normal to be able to eat this much food still? (with no fills yet) Do most surgeons require a much longer liquid diet? Could I have caused damage the couple times I ate too much because its so early? I've been super careful and am definitely sticking to the more liquidy kinds of foods til I get the reassurance about what's normal and the expectations. I was so prepared prior to surgery, but i feel like I've forgotten everything I spent months studying for!

Banded 8/20/2012 - Heaviest: 512 - Current: 461[/quote']

My doc has me eating mushies the day of operation. So I county think its bad that you didn't have longer liquid stage. She is just nit picking. I'm sure you are fine. Your doc will let you know when you go back.

i struggled with my purees stage, after 10 days of puree I was put on mushie foods (food not being pureed, but soft and chew well).My dr. said because it is more of a solid food it will stay longer. She was right, I am no longer eating Snacks like yogurt and colttage with have a lot of Protein trying to feel full and I am able to get all of my Water in where with the puree stage, I could not get more than 35-40oz in a day. I am on the third day of mushies and am eating only 3 meals, about 4oz of protein and 1-2oz of Fiber and if I have 2oz of yogurt, I can go longer without eating. I am getting in 8-12glasses of water a day, with ceystal light. The scale is now moving and in 3 days so far I've loss 3 pounds. I get my fill on the 19th of September and my doctor said I will not be able to eat 6oz, but for now without anything in my band it is ok to eat 6oz. Yesterday, made chilli with ground turkey and at 1 cup, but it was all protein because it was so good. I am not stuffed after my 6 ounces, but I wait my 30 mins after eating and I am very surprised that I am not hungry for hours. So I say, eat your prescribed amount, wait 30 minutes and drink your water and you will be surprised that you can do it. Dr. said once I get my fill, it will be easy and I will not be able to eat the 6oz. I was banded on Aug 6th, liquid shakes for 2 weeks, purees for 10 days. Hope this helps. Oh, i did the drinking water vey fast on my first 2 days of purees and I was starving so I stopped and I was not as hungry.

I was also banded on 8/20. Still having pain around port site, otherwise, no problems. My MD and dietician had me on Protein Drinks for a week. My 1st fill is Oct. 3rd. I will follow along with you as we make this journey. I now seem to be able to eat whatever I want and that concerns me. I see the dietician on 9/18 and will discuss this issue. Yes, I am hungry!

Thank you everyone for all the support and tips! Today makes 2 weeks for me and Im pretty much on soft foods. Anything I could mash with a fork and introducing things as tolerated. I am feeling much better about the whole thing, but Im feeling hunger much like I did prior to surgery now. I can eat quite a bit still, but have made a goal not to not push my band or stomach. I don't eat til Im content, I just eat about a 1-1.5 cups of food (depends on the consistency) then stop. Its quite a bit, but Im sure having a fill in a few weeks will help. I just imagine everything Im eating trying to fit in this little pouch and since I really have this phobia of stretching it now, it makes it easier to not gorge myself. Im counting all calories...1200 is my goal with at least 70g Protein. I do OK most days. I find there's so many things to remember right now so I just keep my focus on calories, Protein and portion. If I eat something that may be a little "questionable" to some people I try to not let it get me down. I hear them and take it in, but everyone's journey is their own. Im doing better, but its still requires a lot of thought, time and energy. Im crossing my fingers that it will.eventually become more of a habit that this all consuming thought process, lol! Thanks everyone for the replies!! You rock!!

Banded 8/20/2012 - Heaviest: 512 - Current: 461