Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Fhis Look Infected?

THis is my port incision. It is really red around it but not hot to the touch. I feel a little pain in the area. Mostly because I had a stitch poking out and had to snip it. I will be 3 weeks post op on Monday

post-337123-13813140308312_thumb.jpg

post-337123-13813140308798_thumb.jpg

Looks redder than mine did 3 weeks out. If it's not warm, not *****, the put some steri tape on it a leave it be.

You could see a nurse or Dr who would be able to assess directly

Personal non medical opinion, looks like one angry incision. You could be on the cusp of an infection. Is it weeping, is there puss? Another thing to think of is that you could possibly be allergic to the stitches. Mine itched like mad, even after the whole thing was healed. It never got that red and angry, but I wanted to cut myself open and scratch the inside if you know what I mean.

Clean the wound with soap and Water. Be aware of where your hands and the soap bar have been. Most infections are caused by, pardon me, i do not mean to offend the weak here, but by washing your hind end and then touching a wound. My friend had surgery on her foot and it got infected because she stood in the shower and let the Water run down over her incision. Can you say EWWWWW?

After a thorough cleaning, peroxide and neosporin and a bandage.

But that is a non-medical farmgirl been doctoring animals since the day I was born opinion.

Thanks. I called my surgeon and he's out until next Wednesday. So if it gets worse I just don't know what to do.

If it gets worse go to the ER...until then, follow the cleaning instructions of farm girl...I would :)

It hurts on the one side where the stitch came out. I'm just worried it could be a port infection.

Turns out that your body can "reject" the stitches and try to literally kick them out! I had one come out of my port incision and a big one come out in the incision next to my belly button. I have never had to have stitches before this surgery, even after the daredevil tomboy life I lead when I was younger. =)

It honestly doesn't look good to me. My incision got red at one point, but never got the red around it like yours. My doc said if it gets a red cirlce around the incision then to come in ASAP! Keep a very close eye on it!! I would suggest a trip to the ER to be on the safe side.

Personally I would get it looked at just in case and before it turned into anything. See if you have a Little Clinic at Krogers or whatever the one is called at Walgreens and you could get it checked out that way over the weekend.

I am currently on Bactrim because of a Staph infection I got after surgery 3 weeks ago. (not for the Lap Band) My wound was very red and looked a lot like yours. I'm not saying you have infection for sure, but I would definitely get it checked out ASAP to be on the safe side.

For the record, mine wasn't warm to the touch, it didn't smell bad, and I had no other symptoms. I was more than a little shocked to find out I tested positive for Staph.

I'm no doctor, but that looks like infection to me. I'd go to the ER or your primary care doctor and get started on some antibiotics. I'd also follow the cleaning instructions listed above. If it turns out to be nothing, no worries, but you don't want an infection to get a foothold in a deep surgical incision.

I don't think it's anything to freak out about, but if it were me I'd go get it checked out.

D.

Thanks. I called my surgeon and he's out until next Wednesday. So if it gets worse I just don't know what to do.

Send the photos to your surgeon's office or office manager. I did on oneof mine which was red a little longer. I used peroxide, neosporin and a bandage. Then after 2 weeks it cleared up.

Best wishes

Keep in mind if it is an internal infection it may not ooze or feel warm. The incision may be warning you of what's going on inside. Go to an urgent care