Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inspiration - You Are Awesome!

As I was walking this morning - I saw the fit woman ahead walking toward me. "Just keep your head down....don't look her in the eye", I thought. I was hot with bright red cheeks and my hair was drenched with sweat and actually, I hadn't even been walking for very long. Here she comes and I can't help myself....I glance over and I see it in her eyes and without saying a word she spoke to my soul: "Don't you be embarrassed....keep going....you're doing great....I'm proud of you....you're worth it!"

I returned home and remembered a fellow writer who shared one of his writings titled "Hey, Fat Girl". I feel guided to share it with you with the intention it will bring you the inspiration it brought to me:

Hey, Fat Girl!

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

~Flintland

Wow, thank you for this. It has brought tears to my eyes.

You're so welcome - it did me too.....had mascara all over the place. ((hug))

Gave me goose bumps, Thanks for sharing.

We are all worth it. I think that very thought as i past people in my office building..or see people the office where i work. or when i go somewhere with the old man.....always comparing....always thinking i am not good enough or worthy.......but you are correct......we are worth it.......

so wipe the mascara and rub off the goose bumps and lets put on our I am strong, I am woman tshirts and rock this out.

Choked up. Or maybe that's just the band restricting. ;)

dont make me put you in corner........... :o

OMG, I'm FAT GIRL! I purposely run at 4:30 AM to avoid being seen by the "real" runners. I feel so inadequate but I love to run no matter how slow. I will keep my head up and not be ashamed what I choose to do is an accomplishment and I should be PROUD! Thanks for this, hitting the running path tomorrow in the DAYLIGHT!!

That is AWESOME tflemon67! LOL :)

I saw that on I <3 to Run's Facebook page yesterday and I cried. I had friends there for me when I was doing the fat girl shuffle that I called running. My friends are two avid runners. I have never been so welcomed by a group of people as I have been by runners.

I love this, Ty for sharing. Going to print it out and turn it into a bookmark so I can read it over and over.

Hello everyone, I became a member recently and I have not posted or replied to any of the posting.. this post gave me a chill down my body and goosebumps, lol.

Thank you for posting it is truly an inspiration to all of us.