Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dilated Pouch Or Band Slip

I just had surgery on Monday for my band slipping. My symptoms were that I couldn't even keep liquids down. I couldnt even keep Water down. I was throwing everything up. When I went to my Dr, he ordered a chest xray and saw the slip. He then ordered a swallow test to see how bad. He took all the Fluid out of my band and scheduled emergency surgery. So here it is 2 days post op and I still feel like someone to a ball bat to my stomach. There was a lot more damage than what the Dr originally anticipated. If you think you have slipped, I urge you from experience to go to your Dr right away!

I just had surgery on Monday for my band slipping. My symptoms were that I couldn't even keep liquids down. I couldnt even keep Water down. I was throwing everything up. When I went to my Dr, he ordered a chest xray and saw the slip. He then ordered a swallow test to see how bad. He took all the Fluid out of my band and scheduled emergency surgery. So here it is 2 days post op and I still feel like someone to a ball bat to my stomach. There was a lot more damage than what the Dr originally anticipated. If you think you have slipped, I urge you from experience to go to your Dr right away!

Brock's Mom:

If you don't mind me asking....do you think the slip was something you accidentally did or unknowingly did or a faulty band that the doctor put in? I'm curious how bands slip because (if it happens to someone), I will know how to advise them.

Thanks Sis :)

For the past three days I had developed a huge amount of gas and diarrhea (I know, gross sorry) and severe pain at times but never lost my appetite but every time I would eat something it would hang up slightly and a couple of times I had to vomit it back up. So I was just curious. Plus I had about 4 oz of a carbonated Water without thinking and as soon as I realized I quit drinking it. Who knew bottled water was carbonated lol. It scared me. Probably just a gastro bug of some kind. It's pretty much settling now.

Gas and diarrhea are intestinal problems that are rarely associated with a band slip or pouch dilation.

Symptoms of a band slip: vomiting/PB'ing, heartburn, reflux, foaming, chest pain, left shoulder pain, dysphagia (difficulty swallowing).

Symptoms of pouch or esophageal dilation: being able (often suddenly) to eat far more than previously; heartburn; regurgitation of food you ate a few days ago.

That's what I figured but just wanted to be sure. Was hoping my carbonated Water didn't screw things up. Won't do that again. Don't want to mess up a good thing. I've lost 44 lbs since May 10 and I have a 100 more to go to goal weight.

That's what I figured but just wanted to be sure. Was hoping my carbonated Water didn't screw things up. Won't do that again. Don't want to mess up a good thing. I've lost 44 lbs since May 10 and I have a 100 more to go to goal weight.

So are we not supposed to drink Bottled Water or water you can get from those 5 gallon water barrels that people have in their house? Didn't know we couldn't drink water from these....

Thoughts?

chiming in, i think bottled Water is a-ok and i drink water those big 5 gallon containers all day at work......so i am sure they are 100% fine but in doubt, always refer to the dr marketing dude as they would know best. as my gal maddysgram says, that is why they are paid the big bucks :)

Jean, did somthing happen to your band that you ended up having to have the sleeve? By the way, your book has been a life saver, so much wonderful information. Thanks.........

Brocksmom, how are you doing? So are you going to be able to have another band, or is that not even an option now?

Hope you are feeling better today!!!!

Jean, did somthing happen to your band that you ended up having to have the sleeve? By the way, your book has been a life saver, so much wonderful information. Thanks.........

I'll try to make a long story short.

I've had "silent" reflux (reflux with no symptoms other than an occasional dry cough)since the mid 1980's. I didn't believe the doc who told me I had reflux, so I didn't treat it (the lesson there is don't self-diagnose). Over the years the acid caused thickening (stenosis) of the walls of my esophagus. I ended up with a severe esophageal dilation because my esophagus wasn't able to move food down into my stomach. Unfilling my band fixed the dilation, but my surgeon felt that a gastric band was incompatible with my faulty esophagus. I agreed to remove my band if we could revise me to the sleeve, but after removing my band, my surgeon discovered a stricture at the base of my esophagus so she couldn't fit the "bougie" sleeve calibration instrument in there. Later I had the stricture dilated and the 2nd attempt at sleeve revision went fine on 8/16/12.

Wow, that was a lot to go through, but happy that they were finally able to do the sleeve for you. Cheers!!!

Chiming in.....Jean, first of all glad you're feeling better.

Second, didn't bariatric office discuss importants of drinking H2O with some of you??? I can understand accidently drinking carbonated water(grossj/s), but plain Water really????

I just found out today that I have to have revision surgery to correct an incorrect band placement. Is the recovery time the same as for the first surgery?