Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad Breath?

Ever since starting my pre-op diet I've had really bad breath. I'm 2 months post op and still have it. At first I thought it was ketosis, but I eat about 1200 calories a day, so that shouldn't be the issue. Is it just me, or is anyone else experiencing this? Is this common, unusual, unrelated?

PS I brush with an electric toothbrush 3x/day, use mouthwash and floss regularly.

UPDATE: (2 days later)

I visited my dentist for a cleaning today and had a little chat with him about my bad breath. I followed his instructions today and found it to be helpful. He said that there isn't a cure for "diet breath" as he called because it's a result of ketosis (as the very bright people below commented), but it can be managed by doing these things....

• DO THESE THINGS
  • Brush and floss regularly
  • Rinse with a medicated flouride rinse (which I got from the office)
  • Drink lots of Water
  • Get a toung scraper (which I did and I think it was the most effective thing on this list)
  • Chew sugarless gum or eat breath strips
  • Increase your carbs (which I won't be doing)
  • Eat an apple (which I didn't do, but may try, though I don't think apples are going to go down very well)

• DON'T DO THESE THINGS
  • Rinse with mouth wash containing alcohol
  • Chew sugar gum

PS Does anyone know what happend to the spell check feature that used to be part of this forum?

I would have said Ketosis. It doesn't matter the amount of calories per day, it's WHAT foods you are consuming. Do u have Keto-sticks to test your urine?

I was told that this happens to some people due to the fat burning. You are loosing weight and the fat burn will cause your breath to smell. I haven't had it happen, but the nutritionist said some people do and some don't.

I say you are still in ketosis..... not always a bad thing. When we are in the big weightloss phase this happens. It will also change your BO and yes other people can smell it. I had to switch to a stronger deoderant while in this phase. It sounds like your dental hygiene is great, but stay away from using rinses that are high in alcohol more than once a day. They can dry up your saliva and make things worse. Also make sure you stay hydrated.

Don't worry, the bad breath will not last forever.

Thanks for the feedback! I haven't noticed the BO, but my urine has a very different smell too (sorry TMI, but related). I hadn't connected that until you mentioned the BO, but it started with pre-op diet also. Hmmm, very interesting.

FamilyGirl, What are Keto-sticks and how do you get them? Can you tell me more about them. please?

I had this...part of ish that you're not chewing right now and chewing naturally cleans your teeth .... all your doing is drinking liquid and its not getting anything nasty that might be sitting In your gums out...try getting a waterpic and adding a little mouthwash to the Water

I hate to say it, but it could last longer...

Literally, my wife will tell you that this past 4 years, my breath has been much worse... my dentist says there is nothing dental involved, and it's all gastric.

And it all started with my lapband.

I know most don't have such things... but it does happen.

Ketone strips are used by diabetics to test their urine if they think they are in "ketoacidosis"! My daughter is Type 1 -- with diabetics the body is using up everything in the body it can burn --fat & muscle and it causes these acids to be produced in the body! Deadly for diabetics -- but apparently a normal side effect for WLS patients. Anyway, the ketone strips will tell you if you have trace, moderate, or large amounts of ketones in your urine. Get them over the counter at most drug stores. :) Hope this helps.

Drink LOTS of cold water- 10-12 cups minimum per day. It will help but not cure.

Yah I have heard that this can cause burps and really stinky farts too

(guess i'm not exactly gonna be a catch for the next while ;) )

Keep drinking Water and keep some tic tacs (or other breath fresheners) in your pocket

Also, mention this to your doc/nutritionist, i'm sure they can help

Wow this is really good to know. I hate bad breath. Will work extra hard for sure to hide this!

Don't chew gum at all!! I've heard if you accidentally swallow it, it has to be removed surgically. Do they still make those little melting breath strips?! :)

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

A safe and natural way to reduce bad breath is by adding a minimum of 6 ounces of yogurt to your diet each and every day. Studies have shown it not only reduces the levels of odor-causing compounds, such as hydrogen sulfide, but also helps to reduce the levels of plaque and the gum disease gingivitis!

Recent study results suggest that the active bacteria in yogurt, specificallyStreptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus, may have a beneficial effect on odor-causing bacteria in the mouth, so adding this delicious and healthy food to your diet may be a great benefit to you!

Wow I thought I was the only one! I am 2 weeks post op, still on liquids, and I have noticed that I have the worst dry mouth and bad breath!! One of my friends was nice enough to point it out.. Lol. I will definetly have to try some of these tips!

I don't think I've actually ever swallowed anything by accident lol hmmmm :)