Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon Said Hospital Is Doing Less Lapbands Due To Issues

I went to the info session last night at the U of PA to learn about my options for weight loss surgery. I was suprised to hear the surgeon poo-poo banding in general. He said they are doing less of them now due to instances of re-surgery, complications, weight gain of patients and the wearing out of the band. I was shocked! I went in there having almost made my up mind that the band was for me. He was very much for gastric bypass.

Have others experienced this? Is there merit to what he is saying, or do the surgeons have a motive for wanting to do gastric over banding?

Appreciate any thoughts!

I went to the info session last night at the U of PA to learn about my options for weight loss surgery. I was suprised to hear the surgeon poo-poo banding in general. He said they are doing less of them now due to instances of re-surgery, complications, weight gain of patients and the wearing out of the band. I was shocked! I went in there having almost made my up mind that the band was for me. He was very much for gastric bypass.

Have others experienced this? Is there merit to what he is saying, or do the surgeons have a motive for wanting to do gastric over banding?

Appreciate any thoughts!

Well for one thing, Gastric bypass surgery carries more risk of death, leakage, infections and length of stay in the hospital. The band is least evasive and studies have shown that people who don't abuse the band can get 10-15 years usage.

If you continue gaining weight or staying big, Can you guarantee you will be alive? And secondly, the surgeon makes lots more money (insurance or out of pocket) if he pushes Gastric Bypass. If I was money hungry, I would push GB over Lapband.

I've seen Allergan studies on the band from lab studies. My sister works for Allergan. I was banded on Aug 6. And know, I didn't get any special deals from my sister's company. There is risk with any operation.

Rojasanoll - Thank you. Question...what about after the 10-15 years...do you get your band replaced?

Rojasanoll - Thank you. Question...what about after the 10-15 years...do you get your band replaced?

Who knows? Not as long as it continues to deliver results. The band has evolved over the last 15 years and is a better product now than 10 years ago. Surgical techniques have improved as well.

It is true that more revisions, replacements and outright removals have taken place with the band. But, you can't really remove a bypass or sleeve can you? Once they cut out your stomach, it's all over with.

tmf

Yes, if you want to maintain weight control. Most of us can't go back without the band and keep the weight off. I look at this as , If I don't do anything about my weight, how long will I live? If the band works 10-15 years and through erosion, failure quits, I have a choice to make. My choice would be to replace it.

Makes sense...thanks.

Bands works for some, but not all. I recently had my band removed due to band slippage and stomach herniation. (and I followed the meal sizes and appropriate food rules well). I was supposed to get revision to gastric bypass while in surgery, however, there was so much damage from the band that my surgeon felt it was unsafe to pursue the revision at ta time and is makin me wit 6-12 months for further surgery. I do know 2 others who had bands removed and were told they had so much damage to their stomach and/or esophagus that they should NEVER have another bariatric surery.

I had my band or 2 1/2 years, went from a size 26 to 16 and BMI from 50 to 36. I lost right at 50% of my excess weight so essentially I'm normal in terms of band weight loss. What I did not do was exercise consistently....more than I did pre-op, but not as much as I should. So, that part was my fault, I absolutely could have lost more with exercise.

That said, I had problems with chest tightness and pain and feeling pressure in my throat starting about 6 months post-op. I had to keep my band 'loose' with little Fluid because if my allergies acted up, I was within a week of my period, I was stressed out, sick, etc, I would get inflammation and not be able to take solids for a week or more at a time. Therefore I had to use self control more than I had expected (damn that self control!!!).

In hindsight, I've always had a 'sensitive stomach' caught stomach bugs easily, problems with nausea and sometimes vomiting from sinus drainage...probably the band wasn't the right option for me.

Goood luck on your journey and wit your decisions!!!

Appreciate any thoughts!

I will say my surgeon did not say that nor even reference it. I am happy to admit

my surgeon let me (choose) what I wanted. He did tell me the differences with all WLS

the pro's and con's and so on. Keeping in mind that any surgery has a risk factor, I was able to decide what I wanted and what was best for me. (and that my insurance approved).

So I took (the very small risk with the band (and keeping my head and watchful for anything that seems like complications) I plowed ahead. If I hadn;t done this choice,

I would not be as mobile as I am now and not nearly 60 pounds lighter since June.

Your decision.

Your $

Do what works for you.

Find a doctor to support you.

all the best.

As for how long the band lasts, I, too, heard 10-15 years. I broached that with my surgeon (who has been doing this surgery for many years) and he explained to me that the band is made of the same materials that they make other "implantable devices" for the body. So while the band is still somewhat new in the U.S. the materials used are used in joint replacements, breast implants, etc. so they know the materials are "safe". He told me they could essentially last indefinitely. Of course, everyone is different and will react differently.

My mom had a very bad experience with GB a few years ago and we almost lost her. After several months in the hospital (in and out), home nurses, 2 more surgeries, she is ok but still struggling w/ many health issues from the surgery and the malabsorption issues. That is the experience I know so I chose LB because I wanted a minimally invasive tool to help me in my Quest to be healthier and thinner. GB has worked well for others I know but my immediate experience shyed my away. I also felt this, being the least invasive of the surgeries, was where I wanted to start and then, if there were problems or it wasn't working, I would consider a more invasive method.

It is unfortunate that the surgeon was trying to direct people, rather than present all the options and let people decide what would be best for them. I would question his motivation for that. I have BCBS insurance and my insurance requirements from last year to this year were drastically lessened to be approved for the surgery. Personally, I don't think the insurance would make it easier to get approved if the success rates were declining...

I would suggest taking your time to continue to do the research, if there are support groups for the different WLS go to them and talk to people that are going through it and ask questions. Continue with this site (and the other respective sites for GB, etc) to feel comfortable with the decision you feel is best for you.

If you do decide to go with the Lapband and this surgeon is not supportive of it, I would find a different surgeon as you want someone that believes in it to perform the surgery.

Good luck in your journey and kudos to you for questioning what you hear and doing the research.

I would recommend if you are really interested in the band that you find a surgeon who is not openly against it. Makes it a lot better journey to get support from a surgeon who agreed with your choice.

Plus, who is to say that the surgeon who complained of lousy stats is not good at installing or maintaining the band?

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

I had a band 3 years ago and am now looking at a conversion. I will say lap band works for some but I have 3 friends who I have met locally through support groups and of the 3 one converted to the sleeve, one lost all her weight and had tt, one had so many issues she doesnt go in for fills (some issues were her own doing) and then me who is forced into a revision because my band caused me to have dilaton of my esophagous. I have been partially unfilled for months and gained back 40lbs that I lost.

Was my band great when I had full restriction yes but I also had so many issues that I feel it would have been better to have GB or Sleeve to begin with..

Also band is not minimally invasive:

It causes adhesions

A lot of people get the esphogeal dilation (my dr said the last few years this is showing to be a big problem)

It slips

It often times will need to be replaced.

Surgery is surgery and there are complications with all surgeries. Do research and ask questions.

I actually had my post-op follow up from my band removal today and one of the things the surgeon and I discussed was the phasing out of the band over the nex 5 years due to complications, weight loss failure, etc. his theory is that it is almost mpossible to determine who will have complications with the band therefore making it hard to screen for good candidates for lap band....by all accounts my band and I should have lived in harmony for many many years...not so!

I actually had my post-op follow up from my band removal today and one of the things the surgeon and I discussed was the phasing out of the band over the nex 5 years due to complications' date=' weight loss failure, etc. his theory is that it is almost mpossible to determine who will have complications with the band therefore making it hard to screen for good candidates for lap band....by all accounts my band and I should have lived in harmony for many many years...not so![/quote']

Wow. This site is amazing to get so much news about what different surgeons say. My surgeon, is totally for Lapband. His team has done over 3000 now and his particular theory is knowing which surg(band, gb, or sleeve) is right for each person. On my 5 month journey, and knowing 8 people personally who's had the band, only 1 had little success and it was her own doing. That being said, I'm sure Lapband I'd different for each and every person, but I had to try this for me. In my mind it was a precautionary tool to help prevent future obesity problems. With the success I've seen over the past 5 years, with the variety of people, I'm hoping that the 'phasing out' is not true.