Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Coffee Going To Ruin My Weight Loss?

Hello! Well I'm about three weeks post op now and I can finally have REAL coffee for the first time in almost two months. I use the flavored liquid stuff like International Delight, so my cups are usually 70 calories, 120 if I have a Cappuccino. I'm usually 200 calories under my daily limit so I am in no danger of going over with one cup a day which is all I want. For the record, I have tried every Creamer alternative under the sun and I none of them have worked for me at all. Stuff like Stevia gives me a Migraine and milk doesn't take out enough of the bitter taste to make it enjoyable, so I've pretty much given up as far as that goes. My question is, will the sugar affect my diet in any way if I always stay under my calorie limit? I'm not very knowledgeable at all when it comes to food. Is sugar bad just because it's high in calories, or will it make me gain weight any way? Is it going to make my cravings for sugar from other sources worse? (I've had great willpower so far, even in bandster hell) Or maybe it will even keep the cravings at bay? I really want this lap band to work for me and I've set some fairly strict goals for myself so I don't want to do anything that will slow me down. Any advice? Does anyone out there still drink full flavored creamer and still lose weight?

coffee hasn't agreed with me since surgery. Booooooo. Lol. I really miss it. I would say that if you are within your calorie range you'll be fine. However, I would make certain to try and get in some additional Water throughout the day, just due to coffee being a diuretic, and leaving u a bit dehydrated. We all need to find balance between depravation and indulgence. :0) Hope this helps, just a little food for thought.

Hello! Well I'm about three weeks post op now and I can finally have REAL coffee for the first time in almost two months. I use the flavored liquid stuff like International Delight, so my cups are usually 70 calories, 120 if I have a Cappuccino. I'm usually 200 calories under my daily limit so I am in no danger of going over with one cup a day which is all I want. For the record, I have tried every Creamer alternative under the sun and I none of them have worked for me at all. Stuff like Stevia gives me a Migraine and milk doesn't take out enough of the bitter taste to make it enjoyable, so I've pretty much given up as far as that goes. My question is, will the sugar affect my diet in any way if I always stay under my calorie limit? I'm not very knowledgeable at all when it comes to food. Is sugar bad just because it's high in calories, or will it make me gain weight any way? Is it going to make my cravings for sugar from other sources worse? (I've had great willpower so far, even in bandster hell) Or maybe it will even keep the cravings at bay? I really want this lap band to work for me and I've set some fairly strict goals for myself so I don't want to do anything that will slow me down. Any advice? Does anyone out there still drink full flavored creamer and still lose weight?

you've done well to last this long without coffee. ive been having black coffee without sugar all along. lol.. my opinion on the sugar?? its more likely to trigger a hunger for more sweet carbs... apart from that , i dont see any probls. Cant you manage coffee black without sugar?? if you persevere you will get there... i know that i did.

I miss my coffee as well. I know you have a problem with substitue sugar, so it was me I would skip the sugar and use more of the non fat cream like coffeemate with flavors because that will cut the bitterness and that way you can really count your carbs and sugar. coffee mates are sweet so you can make it as sweet as you want. The sugar will cause you to want more carbs. I found this information on line which will give an idea of what are on the label: this is not fat free so the numbers may be lower.

Carbohydrates and Protein

A single serving of Nestlé Original Coffee-Mate creamer has 2 g of total carbohydrates, less than 1 g of sugars and no Protein. Peppermint Mocha liquid has 5 g carbohydrates, 5 g sugars and no protein. Nestlé Coffee-Mate creamer in Gingerbread has 8 g carbohydrates, 7 g sugars and no protein. The Nestlé Reduced Fat Original creamer has 2 g carbohydrates, less than 1 g sugars and no protein.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/322668-coffee-mate-nutrition-information/#ixzz23hliYUGc

i am a black coffee drinker. i now drink half reg and half Decaf.< /p>

do they not have ff Creamers and sugar free substitutes you could use?

i am guessing a wee bit of either wont make a hill of Beans if you drink one or two cups a day..sorry, wish i could offer more :mellow:

I used sugar free creamer. No way was I giving it up. I gave up coffee when I got pregnant but am looking forward to the day I can enjoy it again. It did not hinder my weight loss at all but I only had 10 oz a day. Thats what fit in my Mickey Mouse cup!!

I only drink Decaf now. My Wife bought me a Kuerig for Christmas last year. Two splenda and low fat half and half. I have 2 to 3 per day. Has not hindered my weight loss. I do drink lots of Water as well so not to get dehydrated as familygirl said above.

I am replying to you as I'm drinking my coffee and cream :) I'm about 18 months out and down 112 lbs. I drink sort of a lot of coffee, in various fashions.. I think as long as you are allowing room for it in your daily allowance then you're totally fine. My fitness pal for my caloric intake suggests no more than 24 grams of sugar a day so you're probably well under. I also don't feel it increases my desire for sugary foods, I feel it does the opposite actually. As another mentioned, it's all about balance. I don't buy the sugar free Creamers but I do buy the fat free creamers. Also I do my best to make up for the Water loss by drinking more of that. Good luck!

Everyone is different but I am drinking half Decaf and half reg because my MD is opposed to drinking caffienated coffee. I also switched to Almond milk instead of skim milk because the almond milk has less carbs. I have found a low carb diet works best for me. Coffee and almond milk took a few days to get used to but I feel it is part of my weight loss journey. Even without my skim milk I look forward to my morning coffee and without the carbs that slow down my weight loss.

NO way could I give up coffee! :P

I have been drinking regular coffee since a few weeks post op and use FF French vanilla coffee most of the time. If am I visist a location or at the office and we run out I will use regular cream with no sugar. You might try the liquid SF sweetners int he coffee section I can not recall the name of them and not sure what they use to sweeten it however.

Coffee has not hindered my weight loss at all however I will tell you that I am drinking at least 70 ounces of Water a day.

Like others have said its about balance and moderation!

Good Luck! :D

Thanks for all of the advice, I'm going to try letting myself have a cup a day a few times a week and see how that works.

Believe me, I've tried just about everything that's out there as an alternative. I had the same problem with fat free stuff that I do with sugar free, it gave me headaches. I haven't tried almond milk, and I actually have some at home so I'm going to try that one tonight. Also I did have black coffee during the pre-op diet to try and get used to it. We have one of those fancy coffee machines at work with 30 flavors of coffe and tea, but I couldn't find one that I could stand. I've always had trouble with sweeteners, I can't drink diet sodas or stuff like Crystal Light either though I wish I could. I once drank nothing but diet coke for a week to try and get used to it. Worst week ever! Anyway thanks for the advice!

I drink a cup every morning with Equal or any other sweetener except stevia. Don't like the taste of it I don't add milk or cream. I do have a 4 shot latte three times every week too with about 9 ozs of milk. I don't really need it but one can't totally deprive themselves of every luxury and still enjoy life.

tmf

I drink the orange cafe international coffee. My nutritionist didn't like it at all but we agreed that I could have 2 cups a day otherwise I feel deprived. I cut back in other areas so I'm under my calories on myfitnesspal.

Hi. Im 18 months out and a dlavor creamer addict. I am down 68 lbs and am finally trying to wean myself off. Im now doing a powdered Protein Shake in the am and using instant coffee and flavored extracts etc. working well for me.

Me!!!! I will always have my coffee and full creamer. That's just the way it is. I'll sacrifice other food and calories for this:)

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3x7zPz/