Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Does Having The Lapband Feel Like?

Hi everyone,

I'm just now starting the process & I meet with the surgeon tomorrow morning. I have a ton of questions for people that are actually living with the LapBand & not the Dr. that most likely doesn't have one..

Can anyone tell me what it feels like to have a LapBand?

Can you feel it?

Do you feel like it's hard to breathe?

Do you have a hard time swallowing?

What does getting 'stuck' feel like?

What is a 'stuck' episode? Does it get stuck in your esophagus or in the small stomach?

Does having a LapBand make you have heartburn?

Can you still eat spicy foods?

Can you still guzzle Water or will it be sip city forever?

Any permanent damage from it?

Do you like it or dislike it?

Thank you all in advance, I know some of these are silly but, I'm getting really nervous. :unsure:

You are in the right place! I'm in the same boat as you right now, still in the preliminary stages. That is a lot of quesitons for one post, but if you browse the forums you will easily find the answers to each. I have been a member of this sight for over a month now and have had all my questions answered and then some! I was nervous but the more I read, I feel more and more like I am making the right decision!

GOOD LUCK!

Thank you, Chicago Rose! I've been reading posts for weeks....I haven't really seen where people post on how it feels? I'll keep reading, just getting really nervous.

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I'm just now starting the process & I meet with the surgeon tomorrow morning. I have a ton of questions for people that are actually living with the LapBand & not the Dr. that most likely doesn't have one..

Can you feel it? YOU CAN'T FEEL IT!

Do you feel like it's hard to breathe? IT'S AROUND YOUR STOMACH, NOT YOUR LUNGS. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BREATHING.

Do you have a hard time swallowing? ONLY IF YOU TAKE LARGE BITES, CHEW POORLY, EAT TOO FAST OR HAVE A STUCK EPISODE.

What does getting 'stuck' feel like? LIKE food IS STUCK HIGH IN YOUR STOMACH. PRESSURE AND LOTS OF SLIME IN YOUR ESOPHOGUS. DISCOMFORT BORDERING ON PAIN.

What is a 'stuck' episode? Does it get stuck in your esophagus or in the small stomach? FOOD GETS STUCK AT THE PORTAL(STOMA) WHERE THE BAND WRAPS AROUND THE STOMACH.

Does having a LapBand make you have heartburn? NOT REALLY.

Can you still eat spicy foods? YES.

Can you still guzzle Water or will it be sip city forever? I CAN GUZZLE.

Any permanent damage from it? ONLY IF IT ERODES INTO YOUR STOMACH WALL.

Do you like it or dislike it? I LOVE IT.

Thank you all in advance, I know some of these are silly but, I'm getting really nervous. :unsure:

Thank you, 2muchfun! Thanks for taking the time & your reply really helps! I read a post a while back, the woman said she felt like she was suffocating....So that's why I asked the breathing question. Looks like you're doing AMAZING! :)

hi sincity, i was banded july 9th and have not had a fill yet i have my first one this tuesday.about my experiance so far has been great , minus today had some pain like spasums i think it was because i waited to long to eat Breakfast ,but all is fine now,i started at 223 and now i am at 203 ! thats before my first fill ! i am so glad i got banded i wish i had done it sooner ,but remember the band is a tool to help you lose weight ! it takes work on your side as well ! and when you have the band you have to eat slow and small bites and chew chew .i have not had my food stuck so i dont know how it feels.hope i dont jinxs myself (lol) and as far as drinking Water it has to be slow NO GUZZULING it will hurt !! and about feeling the band itself no you cant feel it ! i can barely feel my port .I had horrible reflux before the band and took Dexilant now after the band i dont need it anymore! and spicy food i dont know cause i dont like spicy foods.the only time i have trouble swallowing is if i dont chew my food good.hope this helps good luck .AND AS FAR AS THE BAND I LOVE IT WISH I HAD DONE IT SOONER !! AGAIN GOOD LUCK !!

THXS TONYANN

WOW! This is really big, and not really easy to answere but I will do what I can. Please keep in mind that everything is different for everyone.

I can't feel my band day to day, the port always for me. It is just there, a part of your body and if nothing is wrong it doesn't get much tought like holes in your ears.

No problems breathing. Swallowing is a problem if you aren't eating the right foods for you and in the right way. What I mean is some people can't tolorate bread, I can. But, small bites are required when you have restriction I have only recently gotten this (yup, at 3 yrs.) and I now know that the rules must be followed to be able to enjoy your meals and to allow your band to work.

Getting stuck is horrid! Now I haven't been stuck since restriction, but I did in the early stages. Eating to fast, and to much at one time would put me in great pain, If it was from overeatting it's coming back up. There just isn't enough room so it has to go somewhere. If it's something that wasn't chewed enough, it is at the top of my throat and just won't move. It is as if my throat knows better and is trying to save me. So in this case I can just spit it out and I'm OK. If it's something to large I think it does get stuck in the esophagus, this is where the productive burp comes inm, for some it's slimming.

I don't have problems with heartburn and I still love my hot wings.

No guzzling, it's like pouring into a funnel and it takes time for the Water to run through the opening. It also gives me a sloshie like feeling on the left side. Sips are working better for me now, it is also teaching me how to take more time when I eat. I never drink when I eat, this is hard for many.

I love my band, but it must be respected. I am at 6cc now, the first time with restricton. I had had a stuck episode and didn't stop eating, I irrated my stomach and thought I was to tight and had some fuild removed. It took almost 4 months to get the never to get a fill. Another 10 months to try more and then 10 more to get to this point. There were many reasons for this, all in my head. I am only sorry that it took me so long to start this and that I have been so cautious will my fills.

No problems with your questions, they are good ones. Good Luck.

So glad you're asking these Questions BEFORE being banded.Please ask ask ASK..Get as much info as possible .

Can you feel it? NO I CAN'T

Do you feel like it's hard to breathe?IMEDIATELY after surgery yes but that was gone in a couple of days

Do you have a hard time swallowing?NO BUT you should not swallow big gulps to avoid feeling stuck.

What does getting 'stuck' feel like?TO ME it feels like a giant in chewed pickle in your esophagus

What is a 'stuck' episode? Does it get stuck in your esophagus or in the small stomach?

EVEN though it feels like it's in your esophagus I believe it would be in the pouch/ small stomach

Does having a LapBand make you have heartburn?NO but I've heard it does for some

Can you still eat spicy foods?I HAVE no problem

Can you still guzzle Water or will it be sip city forever?I can guzzle Water but I try not to do it after meals.

Any permanent damage from it?I'm too new 4 months post op but have heard of some that develop scar tissue and get the band removed.

Do you like it or dislike it?LOVE MY BAND !!

REMEMBER this is NOT magic !! It is a TOOL ! You still have to have healthy eating habits do your follow ups and follow your Dr.'s orders.!! Good luck to you !

Thanks everyone for taking the time, I really appreciate it! I'm so glad I posted this! I was getting really nervous & almost cancelled my Dr's appt. for tomorrow. Tonyann, please let me know how your fill goes & good luck! Pool Diva, you had a stuck & didn't know it? Was it because you ate too fast & didn't wait for your food to go down? Bigenuff, have you started exercising yet & if so, was it hard to get started? Just curious, what made you ALL choose the band & not the sleeve?

Thank you everyone! :)

Thanks everyone for taking the time' date=' I really appreciate it! I'm so glad I posted this! I was getting really nervous & almost cancelled my Dr's appt. for tomorrow. Tonyann, please let me know how your fill goes & good luck! Pool Diva, you had a stuck & didn't know it? Was it because you ate too fast & didn't wait for your food to go down? Bigenuff, have you started exercising yet & if so, was it hard to get started? Just curious, what made you ALL choose the band & not the sleeve?

Thank you everyone! :)[/quote']

I have not done much formal exrcuse.I am able to walk longer distancesand I do housework more frequently bur nothing official yet.

Can you feel it? not one bit

Do you feel like it's hard to breathe? no

Do you have a hard time swallowing? you learn to make your food into small pieces, if not, thing could have trouble going down

What does getting 'stuck' feel like? havent been stuck (yet) but i do make sure i take extremely small bites and chew it to smithereens

What is a 'stuck' episode? Does it get stuck in your esophagus or in the small stomach? havent had that happen to me

Does having a LapBand make you have heartburn? not to me

Can you still eat spicy foods? if i want too. the band will let you eat whatever you want (in smaller amounts, its up to you to choose what to eat)

Can you still guzzle Water or will it be sip city forever? i can do either

Any permanent damage from it? it could but the dr explains complications to make you aware. i chose to get the band instead of worrying about very small what if's. it not, id be close to 400 by now i am sure

Do you like it or dislike it? LOVE IT. it gave me my life back.

Thanks everyone for taking the time, I really appreciate it! I'm so glad I posted this! I was getting really nervous & almost cancelled my Dr's appt. for tomorrow. Tonyann, please let me know how your fill goes & good luck! Pool Diva, you had a stuck & didn't know it? Was it because you ate too fast & didn't wait for your food to go down? Bigenuff, have you started exercising yet & if so, was it hard to get started? Just curious, what made you ALL choose the band & not the sleeve?

Thank you everyone! :)

I comment that I have is that make sure that you want to deal with the filling and de-filling for ever. With other weight losss surgeries this is not an issue, I have had mine for a long time and if I knew then what I know now I would opt for the sleeve, no fills, no constant changes in what you can eat, and you may always be restricted to eat certain foods.

hi sincity,since my BMI was borderline barely qualify my dr.said the lapband was best for me and that my BMI was not high enough for bypass or sleeve.But you know i am so glad i got banded even thou the weight loss is slow compare to the others i am happy !! i know i will get to my goal sooner or later !!

Thanks Tonyann

Can you feel it? NO

Do you feel like it's hard to breathe? NO

Do you have a hard time swallowing? NO

What does getting 'stuck' feel like? To me: A fist in the chest.

food THAT IS NOT CHEWED UP SMALL ENOUGH......TOO MUCH FOR POUCH/OR ACTUALLY STUCK IN POUCH

Does having a LapBand make you have heartburn? NO

Can you still eat spicy foods? YES YES......YUMMY

Can you still guzzle Water or will it be sip city forever? NO PROBLEMS DRINKING A BOTTLE

OF Water IN 4-5 drinks

Any permanent damage from it? NOT THAT I HAVE HEARD OF.

Do you like it or dislike it? LOVE LOVE LOVE MY BAND AND MY NEW LIFE......

Thanks everyone! Well, I just got back from my 1st meeting with the surgeon. He said that I'm a perfect candidate for the LapBand BUT, insurance will probably not cover me! Basically, I'm not sick enough or big enough......Not too sure what I'm going to do yet but, I'm not giving up!