Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello-New Here- Going To Be Banded In Two Weeks

Hello,

My name is Miriam, I will be banded August 23rd and I'm nervous, scared and excited. The Dr. put me on the Protein shake diet and this past few days have been really really difficult. Not only am I hungry but I have a headache and I have low energy. I also have felt lightheaded, my husband is worried about me, but I think this is normal and should go away in a few days. Am I right? Is it ok if I have a handful of peanuts, I don't know what else i can eat to make me feel better.

Thanks

Miriam

Hello,

My name is Miriam, I will be banded August 23rd and I'm nervous, scared and excited. The Dr. put me on the Protein shake diet and this past few days have been really really difficult. Not only am I hungry but I have a headache and I have low energy. I also have felt lightheaded, my husband is worried about me, but I think this is normal and should go away in a few days. Am I right? Is it ok if I have a handful of peanuts, I don't know what else i can eat to make me feel better.

Thanks

Miriam

i was on a all liquid diet 2 weeks before my surgery

popsicles, pudding, applesauce, broth..i also had a headache for about 4 days

i think it was because i wasnt drinking gallons of soda daily

try not to cheat on your diet as the dr is trying to get your liver ready

for surgery..drink more (protein) if you are hungry

you may hear people say its ok to cheat alittle, but its not.

if you cant do it now, how can you do it post op and eating food then could hurt you??

it is just for a short time that you are doing without food

soon, you will be banded and making yourself well.

hang in there :)

Hi Miriam...

my band was placed July 31. It has been a really difficult journey for me..and recovery has taken much longer (harder) than I ever expected. I "am" 50 y/o, so someone younger may have an easier time...

I'd say stick as true to the pre-op as you can. I will say that "I" did "cheat" a couple times, but never once over the top...still, Carolinagirl is right....its training ground for what's ahead.

Be sure you are DRINKING as much as you can, esp post-op. Do your best to get in ALL the nutrition you can post-op...I didn't do that b/c I was so DONE w/ the shakes, and ended up feeling SO SO SO SICK...still, do Soup as soon as you can. You won't feel deprived and your body won't revolt on you (like mine did).

Don't believe for one minute that this is an "easy" road...it is NOT. But be sure to DRINK, "eat" what you are allowed, WHEN you are allowed, and you'll do fine. Just don't rush yourself. I think I have done that, and it causes LOTS of stress and depression can easily set in.

Today is my first best day since I came home on aug 1. I feel stronger today than yet...actually had some TACO BELL refried pintos & cheese. Not something I can do daily, of course, but its great Protein and felt great to be eating NORMALLY....so it will come.

Do what you are told...the headaches and fatique will pass, but get it all in...and DRINK DRINK DRINK your water/sugar-free stuff...

Good luck!! Post often and let us know how you're doing. I, for one, am a strong believer in NO JUDGEMENT if you feel like crap and want to vent...this ain't for the faint-of-heart...so you have a right to whine, but we won't leave you in the ditch!!

Best!

--Kim in IN

Hi Miriam,

I will have my lap band on Friday, the 17th. I'm also excited, anxious & nervous not knowing what the road ahead will be.

I find it interesting to see how each Dr has different requirements. I have to do an all clear liquid diet the day before surgery then all clear until day 4. I think day 5 moves me to regular liquids so not just broth, SF popsicles, etc...

I'm considering plication but don't know what the pre surgery requirements are, and since my pre-op isn't until the day before, not sure if I'll be able to do it. I'll be reaching out to my Dr tomorrow to see what he says.

I'd like to stay in touch to see how both our journey's go. This way we can support one another, in addition to, receiving great support from some of the members here :)

We're in it together. Hang in there!

Fran

Thank you all!

It has been a struggle this few days, it's harder during the weekend since I'm home and there's just not much you can do in this Texas heat. But I'm surviving. I bought the SF Popsicles and SF Jello which have been a life saver! They didn't tell me I can't chew gum, so I'm chewing up a storm to keep my mouth busy! LOL! I know that I can do this and finding this support group will be even better to reach my goal. Again, thank you so much!!!