Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor just called and would like me to do the 11 days I have left nothing but liquids. Any ideas or tips?

Variety will help you get through it. Try Soups, popsicles, Protein Water, Protein Drinks, etc. You can do it.

I got Soups but have to watch the calories. I got popsicles, Jello Protein Water. But I have to have my Protein Shakes, but they have 160 calories? They told me min. calories. Blah!!!!

While completing my liquid diet phase, both pre op and post op, I tried to maintain a structured schedule for my meals (Protein shakes and 1 cup of raw salad veggies) and Snacks (SF popsicles, SF Jello, plain chicken broth), and as much Water as I wanted. That helped me to get the required nutrition daily.

While each surgeon has their preferred instructions, Protein Shakes which contain 100% whey isolate Protein are considered to provide complete protein and the best choice for bariatric patients. My surgeon stressed the importance of using this type of protein.

Best wishes as you begin your journey...

What kind of Protein Shakes did you use. I am using Adkins.

My doctor just called and would like me to do the 11 days I have left nothing but liquids. Any ideas or tips?

drink alot of fluids (crystal light) sf popsicles, chicken broth.....the only tip i can offer is not to cheat. you are preparing your body for surgery. you need to be mentally strong to do this liquid diet before. you have a liquid diet after surgery also (and if you cheat on that, you could hurt yourself).

please, do this for you. 11 days is nothing compared to the reward of better health for you after surgery. you can do this, if you want too

all the best and congrats on your upcoming surgery.

I was on my pre-op before he called. But I was able to eat just little bit measured out. But now he wants nothing but liquid. I have faith I can do this. But ready for surgery to just get here already :)

I was on my pre-op before he called. But I was able to eat just little bit measured out. But now he wants nothing but liquid. I have faith I can do this. But ready for surgery to just get here already :)

use your Protein shakes are your fuel/food. those kept me full and not as hungry. its really a mind thing. i think and know that you are stronger than you give yourself credit for. so get on with it and do this. its just for a short period of time. (yes you will be hungry. its normal) but just think of what is to be. that was my motivation to no cheat on my pre or post op diets.

again, if you want this, you can do it. :wub:

I know. My motivation is if I don't do this my health isn't going to get any better. Plus I want this so bad. 11 days isn't no time at all. today is day 1 I'm not hungry I just feel extra tired.

So excited for you! Congrats on your surgery date. I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you so much! I am getting more and more excited but i am starting to cheat on my pre-op :( i dont know whats wrong but i just hope i am ok!

I am not a doctor. Personally I would say it would be better to consume more of what you are allowed than small amounts of what you are not allowed. For example 8 oz of chicken broth has like 10 calories and no fat. A piece of cheese has 80 cals and 8 g of fat. Also I used Protein Shakes preop that had at least 30 g of fat (protein powder plus fat free milk). Premier Protein has a pre made shake that is only 160 cals for 30 of Protein. Available at costco and SAMs (yes they are advertised on this site, bu they are quite good).

What kind of Protein shakes did you use. I am using Adkins.

I use the Wheybolic Extreme Protein Powder from GNC. I prefer the chocolate and Cookies 'n cream flavors. When mixed with 8 oz of 1% milk and 1.5 scoops of the powder, each shake has 37 grams of 100% whey Protein isolate, are very low fat and very low carb...and to me have no chemical after taste.

Atkins shakes do not have the 100% whey protein we need for proper nutrition, and they taste better than most premixed shakes I have tried. I only use the Atkins shakes when I am traveling and don't have access to a blender.

Thank you so much! I am getting more and more excited but i am starting to cheat on my pre-op :( i dont know whats wrong but i just hope i am ok!

Beware of the "slippery slope" when you give yourself permission to cheat on your diet, and you are still pre op. If you are already having difficulties with your diet compliance, what other permission will you be giving yourself in the weeks and months to come to be non-compliant with your diet post op?

Getting through the weeks of pre op and post op liquid diet is definitely a challenge. however this is the time to hone your coping skills for diet compliance and to understand that if you want to be successful with your weight loss, diet compliance and exercise are what it takes.

Even now, after 2 fills and nearly 6 months post op, I am still having to use distraction and drinking Water to help me manage my hunger every day. Understand the psychology behind why you are cheating on the diet now...it will help you develop some additional coping skills.

Best wishes...

Hi everyone,

I'm scheduled to have lap band this Friday, the 17th. I'm getting excited, and a little anxious too. I'm considering adding the plication to my surgery. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Also, I only have to do 1 day liquid diet before my surgery date, but am curious what everyone suggests. I'm confused as to the difference between a Protein shake (which I doubt is considered a clear liquid I can have before surgery) and Protein drinks. What's the difference?

Appreciate some feedback.

Thank you!

Fran