Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Do Your Meals Look Like 2 Or 3 Years Out?

Hello everyone,

I am someone who is considering the procedure. Would you mind sharing what your diets look like 2 to 3 years out? Have they changed once you have met your weight loss goals?

Well, I tend to do slim fast or a granola bar around Breakfast time.

lunch will be something light. Some tuna or a weight watchers dinner.

maybe a bar or a slim fast for a snack

Supper is whatever is cooked. Tonight was grilled chicken and some cooked cauliflower (overdone, but a bit mushy is easier).

It's not so much the diet as whatever I can handle.

I'm only 8 months out and I eat mostly healthy foods. Not much red meat, cut way back on dairy and anything with flour in it. But I'm still in the losing phase. Most folks who are 2 years out will be close to goal and may allow themselves to eat more of the foods I'm rejecting but the band always reminds us to eat healthy and of course, less.

tmf

I could eat an egg and toast for breakfast; but instead, because I get a lot of Protein from them, I have a fruit, with Protein Powder added, smoothy. For lunch I usually have chicken or tuna salad with some crackers. I usually have fish or chicken for dinner with a small starch, and a veggie. I eat very little red meat, and hardly any Pasta. bread is still a nono for me. If I have a snack, I use a ramikin and have no more than what I can put into it. I, usually, have 2 to 3 cups of coffee with skim milk during the day.

I am 3 years and 2 months out.

For Breakfast I eat a poached egg on 1 slice of wholemeal toast or homemade muesli with greek yogurt or oats with cinnamon and stevia.

lunch is my problem meal, i am often out and not normally disciplined enough to take something with me. If at home I eat a wrap or a taosted sandwich or a bowl of healthy homemade Soup or leftovers.

dinner is whatever the rest of the family are eating but in smaller portions. Generally meat chicken or fish with a spoonful of rice or Pasta or potato and veg.

So basically my diet is the same as it was before ( I have never been big on fast food or deep fried stuff) but in smaller portions.

Snacks are still an issue, especially when i am not working ( boredom eating). I try to stick to yogurt, fruit, nuts, dried fruit etc but sometimes the chocolate, cakes and biscuits attack me and I have to give in!

I'm 3 years post-op and my eating has pretty much stayed the same the entire time. I guess I may sneek in a bit more junk food than I did during my first year. The nice thing about it is that my weight has also stayed the same. I've stayed the same weight (within a pound or 2) for the last 18 months.

I have not counted calories from day one. For me it is a texture and volume thing. The "lifestyle change" thing for me is , find what works for you and stick with it..... forever. If you find that counting, measuring, and tracking works in the weightloss stage, do it and never stop.

I will never go back to what "normal" eating was before the band. It is what made me morbidly obese. Now my new way of eating is my "normal" and I do it without even giving it much thought.

Thank you all for your honest answers. Was there ever a time after you were banded that you thought this was not right for you? Maybe hurtles etc? Thank you again for your help.

Over the last 4 years, I can't even begin to count the number of times I've had my doubts.

I was private pay, so going back was not an option. But in spite of my success, and in spite of loving some of the effects of that success (being able to travel with my wife for one... for some reason she did not like sitting on an airplane next to a 400 pound man), every time I eat I hate it... I hated paying thousands of dollars for hernia repair, only having the surgeon tell me that the hernia was cause by my gastric surgery. I hate when I go to a restaurant having to scope out the rest rooms (just in case).

I know, people around here claim I'm strange hating my band (though I bet there are other successful banders that have the same feelings I do who just won't speak up), but that's the truth. I love the results, I love my life... but I couldn't tell you how many times I have felt it was not right.

I hear you Stevegoad.

My husband will not have lapband surgery done. he has watched me over the last 3 years an dis not wanting to retch(he has always hated doing that). But, I am so happy with the results and he likes them too. I may eventually talk him into the sleeve. I will be the 1st to tell you, it ain't easy!

You are doing great and congrats on your weightloss! Karen

Hello everyone,

I am someone who is considering the procedure. Would you mind sharing what your diets look like 2 to 3 years out? Have they changed once you have met your weight loss goals?

i am interested as well. I also have a question.... when we reach our green zone and our ideal weight... how do we maintain it without losing more weight?

Well, there are a couple of things to remember... "Ideal Weight" is what's ideal for you... not what's on a chart.

I stopped a couple of years ago in the 250 range, and haven't moved... but at the same time, it's great for me... (though I have a lot of loose skin and flab, and I'm definitely not spending the money and going through the pain to have reconstruction surgery... at 52, I'm never going to be a swim suit model, and my wife doesn't mind).

Second, the band is just a tool, and will only work as well as you use it. (believe me, I know well how to cheat the band, and if I wasn't really careful, even with the band, I could have never lost any). In the end,stopping losing won't be a problem...

But really, you're only going to lose so much even with the band. The general rule of thumb is that the band when used right will drop your weight up to about 40% of your body weight. (so if you're 400, you can expect to get down to 240 or so.... I stopped a bit short of that, but still, I'm cool).

Once you stop, you've got to change how you use the tool to maintain your loss. You've still got to watch, as it's easy to regain without thinking. Just keep using the tool and watching what you eat.

Well, there are a couple of things to remember... "Ideal Weight" is what's ideal for you... not what's on a chart.

I stopped a couple of years ago in the 250 range, and haven't moved... but at the same time, it's great for me... (though I have a lot of loose skin and flab, and I'm definitely not spending the money and going through the pain to have reconstruction surgery... at 52, I'm never going to be a swim suit model, and my wife doesn't mind).

Second, the band is just a tool, and will only work as well as you use it. (believe me, I know well how to cheat the band, and if I wasn't really careful, even with the band, I could have never lost any). In the end,stopping losing won't be a problem...

But really, you're only going to lose so much even with the band. The general rule of thumb is that the band when used right will drop your weight up to about 40% of your body weight. (so if you're 400, you can expect to get down to 240 or so.... I stopped a bit short of that, but still, I'm cool).

Once you stop, you've got to change how you use the tool to maintain your loss. You've still got to watch, as it's easy to regain without thinking. Just keep using the tool and watching what you eat.

thats what i need to know. i originally was going to lose about 70 lbs... im halfway through that now. im not sure that i will even have to get down to that original weight loss figure as my health issues with my joints are already gone. its just my hypertension now... i was wondering how i would just maintain my weight once i got to where i want to be. my weight loss is slow... at the moment about a lb a week after having weeks of no weight loss. im post banded three months now.

i am interested as well. I also have a question.... when we reach our green zone and our ideal weight... how do we maintain it without losing more weight?

This is a problem that you are unlikely to have. If you do manage to get to your ideal weight it will be more of an issue maintaining it and not gaining. The longer you have had your band the easier it becomes to eat things that you couldn't initially eat, your motivation lessens a couple of years down the track etc. Plus the worst thing is that the less you weigh the less you need to maintain that weight.

Having said that it is still easier to maintain with a band than it ever was without it. Give or take a kilo or 2!

This is a problem that you are unlikely to have. If you do manage to get to your ideal weight it will be more of an issue maintaining it and not gaining. The longer you have had your band the easier it becomes to eat things that you couldn't initially eat, your motivation lessens a couple of years down the track etc. Plus the worst thing is that the less you weigh the less you need to maintain that weight.

Having said that it is still easier to maintain with a band than it ever was without it. Give or take a kilo or 2!

i can imagine ... i dont know that i would have lost any weight at all without mine. lol. no, for sure, i wouldnt have !!

I am just under a year out and I have dropped a 106 pounds. I have plateaud once but I just started moving again. The percentages are up to you I believe. When you level out change up calories and exercise and your body will move again once adjusted to the new weight but the second half is slower. Sometimes I hate being banded but I realized awhile ago those moments are when my old habits want to resume and I eat to fast eat the wrong things crave things that hurt me in the first place. It's a process of retraining and sometimes you want to revert and can sabotage yourself. I know I don't have the long term point of view as the others but I know for me my biggest obstacle is myself do know going into it you are going to have to learn to put the "fattie side" on time out a lot until she comes out less often :)