Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went for my pre op appointment with my surgeon today. His nurse weighed me and was so excited for me that I am now down 26.5lbs he said, "you go girl! Are you really sure you want the surgery? You're doing this on your own great!" Whaaaaa? Yes, I'm sure! My date is the 7th and I have worked my butt off and I thought that was the point.

congrats on the weight loss pre- surgery good job.

I think it depends on what your BMI is before surgery and your overall weight loss attempt profile/history. If you have lost weight before only to regain plus more then the lapband is deffinately something you should consider.

I think what your surgon is shocked at is such a high rate of loss, but again it depends on how much you have to loose. Do you have over 100 pounds to go? I'd still do your band surgery because the body looses in spourts sometimes and you can rest at a plateu for weeks before anymore weight is lost.

My husband is saying the same thing to me. I have lost 25 pounds since May. I have been trying to watch what I eat and have started exercising. I know I need the band to help me but he doesn't see it. :(

It's a real catch 22, isn't it. We have to lose some weight to be healthier for the surgery so people assume that we can do it without the band. Well, no, if we could do it without the band and keep it off, then there is no way we would end up pursuing the band! It is hard to maintain the momentum and enthusiasm that we bring to the pre-op phase. The band is a tool that helps us to live a healthier lifestyle in the long term and in a way that dieting just cannot deliver.

I agree with SageTracey, it's all about the long term. Yeah I lost 40lbs with adipex, but could I realistically keep up that kind of eating without the pill, no and I ended up gaining a lot more back, so I made my decision to get lapband to live this as a long term change and keep the weight off this time. :)

Thanks! I totally agree. I'm not doing this just to lose the weight. I've done that before. I want long term success and a healthy life. To be clear, it was the nurse tat said that. The surgeon has said over and over that I'm the perfect candidate.

My husband is saying the same thing to me. I have lost 25 pounds since May. I have been trying to watch what I eat and have started exercising. I know I need the band to help me but he doesn't see it. :(

I'm being banded too on Aug 15th 12',

Lost 19lbs. The thought had crossed my own mind too..,if I just keep going like I am maybe I can lose all this weight. But reality sets in. In my 38 years. I've not been able to do it, now is the time. The Lapband is gonna make it all possible. I'm excited. Good luck !!!!

I lost 130 lbs with diet and exercise but I gained almost every pound back. For me, the band is preventing me from overeating or emotional eating.

Just let those comments go and keep doing what you're doing. Great job, btw!

Congrats to all who have entered into lapband world to keep off the weight loss. I, too, have done the yoyo dieting. The lapband is a new way of life. It should prevent the type of yoyoing most of us have gone through. I, also, needed something to keep me going after I get bored with dieting! My surgeon has a website that asks why you are here, the most common answer is because I get bored with dieting! Best wishes to all, Karen

I just started seeing someone, and I really like this girl, and told her I'm getting banded in a few weeks (8/23!!!!). She is trying to talk me out of it saying I look great, just diet, just excercise, we'll start biking together.... Blah blah blah! I've been doing that for 20 years and am still in the same, or even worse, place! I finally told her: "I'm doing this, I've wanted this for 5 years, I've researched this and talked to many bandsters, I've been under surgeons care and going through process officially for 6 months.... So Either support me or BACK THE &$/! OFF!!!"

I was much more charming and diplomatic than that :)

And she got it and now she's awesome about it!

Totally supportive.

Only you make this decision. Only you have been there with yourself for whatever many years with however many ups and downs. No one can tell you otherwise.

Good luck to all!

Jason

That's great Jason! I guess that's the thing, sure it can be done wo the band, but I've always gained back. I'm ready to be at a consistently wealthy weight.

I think its really frustrating when people make these kind of comments, even though they may be well-meaning. especially medical professionals! I had a nurse at pre-testing (for my gallbladder removal) remark that she couldn't believe I was having the surgery as I wasn't "that big"... I swear to god I could have socked her right in the face!

I've lost and regained 100+ lbs not once, but twice in my life. I am also losing a few pounds on the pre-op diet, but there is no way you can live out the rest of your life on 4 Protein Shakes and a salad a day...I being good because I know they'll sew me back up if my liver is not small enough come the day of surgery, then I'll have to reschedule and go thru it again. Have faith in your decision, most people have no idea what it's like to carry our burden.