Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rn Scared Me Today!

Went for my prep stuff at the hospital today, I'm scheduled for 8/10, and the nurse skeered me with her lap band stories! She told me that the surgeon insists on 6 hrs of observation after and how you MUST NOT vomit. And how they observe for internal bleeding, in case there was a nick, etc! I finally asked how many problems she had seen and she said only a few. But still! It is like a plane pilot talking over the intercom during takeoff about plane crashes.

I had my GB removed a month ago and breezed through it which made me really confident I could do this. Now I'm worried!

Pennie

LB with plication 8/10

Recovery is very similar to gall bladder surgery. No bigggie!!! Good luck!

Sounds like a really good RN. NOT! Why would she say anything but encouraging words to a pre-op bandster? I mean there's being honest, but telling negative lap-band stories? come on now...

My surgeon has been doing the procedure for years and told me he has never had any problems with the surgeries. It was much easier than when I had an appendectomy. You will do fine! :)

I think to be honest the 'any risks involved' should be and most often are discussed with the Surgeon, i think she overstepped her role in the proceedure, after all she isnt a doctor and u are paying for your doctors advice not hers ..

She's a nurse, she is well within her scope of practice. You are supposed to be informed of the risk involved in the procedure. Its a matter of office procedure if the doctor or nurse talk to about the details. Don't forget a NURSE will be the one standing with you when you wake up,the nurse is the one doing the observing.

Nurse's are the best! (my wife,mother,and cousin are all nurses) ;)

There are risks, anyone who thinks there are no risks is not informed. BUT they are way less than the risk of being fat, to be blunt! I am doing this because I want to live, healthy, for another 30 years, not die in 20. I think 10 years, and being happy, are well worth the risk. I had a friend receive last rites after an infection caused by a routine dental visit (he lived). I don't think the nurse was trying to scare you, it sounds to me like she was informing you about what to expect. Now you know, forewarned is forearmed.

Exactly, ever read a advil bottle???

She may have thought you needed to be made aware, and wanted it to stick with you. There are risks, Like driving to the store. Does not mean cancel your appt.

My son went for tonsils removed. they almost lost him, because he aspirated. A good nurse and surgeon will tell you there is no such thing as routine surgery!!!

Best if luck. This journey is an adventure!!!:)

If you didn't already know these things you didn't do much research. Any surgery is risky, Doctors are human, there can be nicks and complications. That is the risk you take, nothing in life is considered to be perfectly safe. It is her job to keep you informed, so people won't have something happen and sue saying "No one ever told me this could happen". Give nurses a break they are there to help you, sounds to me like she was doing just that. If that upsets you maybe you are not ready to do it. To me the surgery was the easiest part of this journey it is no picnic, and yes I am a nurse.

Went for my prep stuff at the hospital today, I'm scheduled for 8/10, and the nurse skeered me with her lap band stories! She told me that the surgeon insists on 6 hrs of observation after and how you MUST NOT vomit. And how they observe for internal bleeding, in case there was a nick, etc! I finally asked how many problems she had seen and she said only a few. But still! It is like a plane pilot talking over the intercom during takeoff about plane crashes.

I had my GB removed a month ago and breezed through it which made me really confident I could do this. Now I'm worried!

Pennie

LB with plication 8/10

at my surgery, they watched me closely for signs of (anything) wrong.....they had signs on the door saying no food/no straws.

i am glad they watched me closely. i knew the risks when i went into this surgery. i was not scared. i knew that vomiting is not a good thing. and its still not.

sounds like she did a okay job. dont stress about what you cant control. focus on what you can. YOU getting healthy.

i am thankful to my nusres/dr's at my hospital.

You guys are a tough group. I am a medical social worker at renowned pediatric oncology hospital and I know all about informed consent. Also some of my best friends are nurses. And I am more than informed about lap band and have been reading voraciously here for a year. The RN today was the hospital nurse who was meant to give me pre-op instructions (like bathe with antibacterial soap the morning of surgery and bring a responsible adult with you). She made it plain that she doesn't like the surgeon and told me horror stories including his bedside manner and how he treats staff. I get it. He is a jerk. I agree, it was a lack of boundaries and if her supervisor had heard she would be in trouble. after she said all of that she came back and said but that 'usually it goes fine even though she doesn't like to take care of his pts bc he is a jerk, but he is an excellent surgeon'. Other staff that were coming in the room were looking at her like 'shut up' and obviously not comfortable even being in the room with her doing that.

Just bc someone is a nurse, or Dr, or Judge etc doesn't mean that sometimes they don't need to shut up. She was telling me that bc of her agenda with the surgeon who yelled at her last week, not bc it was her job.

Pennie