Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Does The "green Zone" Really Feel Like? Also, Is It True That The Green Zone Effects Nerves That Cut Cravings Altogether?

I have been hearing very conflicting things. I do realize that the green zone feeling can vary from person to person, but can you please post what it feels like FOR YOU?

Also, did I hear somewhere (maybe it was here?) that when you get to the green zone the nerve that makes us crave food is effected, helping subside cravings?

For me, the green zone is where I eat about 10 bites of any given food (never measure or weigh anything) and I'm full. By full I mean I can't eat another bite. I was at the green zone after my 3rd fill unti about 8 mths ago, when I lost 100 lbs and had to have another fill. It's been so so ever since. I'm really seeking that same "zone" again, as I still need to lose about 15 lbs.

Good luck!

Marci

Oh, here's where i saw it

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/136997-im-wondering-about-the-full-feeling-after-surgery-what-does-it-really-feel-like/

"The band stimulates a nerve and sends a signal to your brain, telling your brain that you are full, and you don't - can't eat anymore.

But in reality you have not eaten anything all day! So physically you're not full, but you brain keeps telling you are.

Have you ever eaten so much that you say something like "I'm so full I can't even look at another slice of cake!"

Well, that's kind of what it is."

The green zone for me was a loss of interest in food after a few bites. I never get that "Thanksgiving stuffed" feeling, which is wonderful!! I'm just comfortable and don't want to eat anymore. Three days ago I had to have 3 cc's removed because I irritated my band. I'm really mourning the loss of the green zone and my appetite has come back with a vengeance! I didn't realized how much my band really curbed my appetite!!

wow toddy and marfar thats really amazing!

@toddy: may I ask, what were your eating habits before the band? did you eat big huge meals? and now even if your sitting at a table with your whole family "digging in" you won't have interest?

The green zone for me was a loss of interest in food after a few bites. I never get that "Thanksgiving stuffed" feeling, which is wonderful!! I'm just comfortable and don't want to eat anymore.

For me, the green zone is where I eat about 10 bites of any given food (never measure or weigh anything) and I'm full. By full I mean I can't eat another bite. I was at the green zone after my 3rd fill unti about 8 mths ago, when I lost 100 lbs and had to have another fill. It's been so so ever since. I'm really seeking that same "zone" again, as I still need to lose about 15 lbs.

Good luck!

Marci

When you get that full feeling after a few bites, is it very difficult being at a table full of food and surrounded by people eating tons? That's basically my problem, when i'm at a table full of awesome food i overeat

Actually, to be honest, Im sometimes jealous of the amount of food other people can eat. Especially on holidays. Its not like Im drolling over watching people eat, cuz I seriously have no more interest in eating. I just sometimes wish I would drool a litte. Does that make sense? It doesn't really to me!.

But, no, normally it doesn't bother me to sit and watch others eat. Usually by the time Im done eating, my husband and friends are waiting on me to finish so I don't usually watch others eat.

Good luck!

Marci

My green zone is where i eat a cup or so of food and then dont want anymore. Yes, it still looks good and smells good., but asking my self if i want to see the number on the scale go down or do i want more of that food usually does the trick for me. im not a food saint, i still have my daily treat, but its nothing like before where i was hungry all the time. Todays menu was Breakfast= homemade fruit smoothie (spinach, yogurt, coconut milk, oatmeal, frozen fruit, honey,all blended together , YUM !!!) Lunch= 1 slice ham, a few crackers and a cheese stick, snack=a couple of Cookies, Dinner= we were SUPPOSED to have barbq pork,2-3 small pieces, 1/2 cup brown rice and salad or fruit, but some thing came up and i was on my own for dinner, so it was a quick meal of homemade nachos. Not the best dinner but sometimes that happens. If i get hungry later ill snack on a few cherries. i just stop when i feel full, and i remind myself that there will always be food in my world and i wont go hungry. hope this helps !

I have had my first fill and no green zone. I am actually really hungry today because I'm on a liquid again. My dr. also said probably the third fill (some vary) and then the green zone can last months to years for some but he said there will always be "tweaking" of the band. I too look forward to it with much happiness. He said in the green zone I shouldn't be wanting/able to eat more than 3 times a day with possibly a snack. Sounds fab to me!

For me, the green zone has been amazing in that I NEVER feel physical hunger anymore! I don't know why this has happened to me with the band, but it has. Unfortunately I still have "head hunger"! I crave sweets as much now as I ever did!!! Today I drank Water all day until about six tnen I made a piece of fresh fish my husband caught, salad, and brocolli. I had some sugar free fat free pudding at 8:00. Btw I usually have a 38 gram Protein Shake around 2:00, just didn't have time today. I shoot for 60 grams of Protein everyday. I'm not advocating this style of eating for anyone, but it has worked for me. We are all so very DIFFERENT!!!!!

You're a lucky gal Highland. I'm starting to think that I may never have been in the green zone. I think after my 6th fill I may have been but I'm not sure. I got stuck a lot and I followed the rules. But I'm still always hungry for delicious food. That has not changed for me. I had a small unfill about 6 weeks ago and now I get stuck less but I think the reason I've been losing weight is mostly because I stick to a diet and exercise a lot. And, the band does keep me from overeating and overeating has always been my downfall. So, now I eat less even if it's junk food.

But that feeling that i'm satiated after a cup of food, never happened for me.

tmf

TMF that makes me feel good even though I'm sorry for you. I have felt like I'm doing something wrong and I really thought after my first fill yesterday that I'd feel some restriction. They even had me drink a glass of Water before I left to be sure that my 1.5 cc wasn't too much. I was hungry waking up this morning and will be hungry going to bed. I was up .4 oz at my 5 week post op weigh in but they seemed happy and normal about it so I need to get there too. I'm going to do like you said, stick to the diet and exercise even if I'm hungry but so glad to know I'm not alone in not feeling full after that one cup. Here's crossing fingers for all of us.

2muchfun-I was NEVER a volume eater, just loved carbs like sweets, Pasta, rice, and breads. I was always on a DIET---since thrid grade!!!! I am now 55, and had so many doubts that the band would "work" for me! Well it has, but for a little over a year I dieted like there was no tomorrow!!!! I logged every si gle bite that I put i. my mouth on fatsecret.com. I was sooooo jealous of people like B52 and others who said they never dieted per say and it was so easy for them. It was NOT for me! I recently stopped logging my food because I decided I needed to live normally and stop obsessing over every bite of food!!!! I'm happy to say that I have not gained with this new outlook, but it is still a struggle. While I still do not want to overeat, I crave sweets ALL the time. I've followed your posts and I think you have a really good, and realistic, attitude so you WILLL reach your goal!!!! I believe in you!! :)

BTW I did not reach the green zone until 5 months after surgery. Best advice I can give: Always eat like you ARE in the green zone!!!!

I had 3 fills since my May 16th surgery then one unfil because I was getting stuck and had that awful sliming problem...everything I ate or drank...horrible. They took out a little of the saline and I am doing better. I am not sure I am in the green zone...I do fill up fast...and I have to take small bites and chew like crazy..sometimes I am fine and sometimes the same food on a different day will get kinda stuck and so I stop and the sensation usually goes away and I am fine again...the only problem I have is the night hunger for some reason..it just kicks in and I want salty crunchy stuff..never been much for sweets. I want Pasta and rice but I was told not to have it for the first 6 months at least so I don't at all. My weight has been slow to move..I just joined curves and hopefully that will help me move it a bit more...so am I in the green zone? I feel like I am right there on the edge but at night...hmmmmmmm