Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I Have This Feeling Forever???

I Was banded on July 23 and even though my healing has been slower than what I have read here on this forum, I am feeling better and better everyday. But now I have a question... I am still on full liquids and when I eat things like Jello and sometimes even when I drink Water I have that feeling in the middle of my chest and then it moves down after a couple of seconds. I know it might be from the swelling of my stomach but will I always have that feeling no matter what I eat for the life of my band? I'm just nervous that I will always have to deal with that "stuck" feeling every time I eat!? Please help.... If this is the case I am now having second thoughts about getting the band. I want to shed this weight but I didn't know I was going to hve this pain while doing it every time I eat.

Hi--you must still be swollen from the operation. Do you know if when they put the band, they left it unfilled? That feeling of being stuck should only be happening if you are too tight, or eat too fast...for sure, you will not be living with this day in and day out.

You made one of the best decisions, so be patient and follow the rules...the band as a tool, works! Also, if something feels abnormal, you should call your doctor and consult.

Best of luck and keep us updated with your progress!

Thanks no my doctor did not fill it. And also I know I'm not supposed to but I chewed up one grape and I got that same feeling as well it just worries me that when I am able to eat ill have this feeling.

No you won't. In time you will find that you can eat most foods with no problem as long as you follow the basic guidelines.

tmf

OMG! I was banded on the 26th and have had this feeling almost constantly! I called the doctor and was told to come in this am. They said that all bands are primed to get the air out when they are put in. They said I was very swollen and took out the priming Fluid. I am to remain on clears today and tomorrow and let them know how I feel tomorrow. If i still feel like this, then they will put me on carafate to help. I have been miserable and sometimes it is so bad that I take my pain medicine.

OMG! I was banded on the 26th and have had this feeling almost constantly! I called the doctor and was told to come in this am. They said that all bands are primed to get the air out when they are put in. They said I was very swollen and took out the priming Fluid. I am to remain on clears today and tomorrow and let them know how I feel tomorrow. If i still feel like this' date=' then they will put me on carafate to help. I have been miserable and sometimes it is so bad that I take my pain medicine.[/quote']

Some even put in more at time of banding- I've seen some on here with 3-5cc, which seems crazy to me!

How did they determine you were to tight? Upper GI?

I had the same feeling and was told by my doctor that I was either drinking too fast or taking too big of a sip. Once I changed that, I didn't get that feeling anymore.

Be careful with eating solid food too early... Your stomach is still healing and the band needs time to settle before it starts dealing with real food.< /p>

Im having a similar issue! I was banded on the 25th and he put 5cc in the band at the time of surgery ..im so tight its painful to swallow water.My upper GI showed a pin stripe stream if liquid going through..So having 5cc in the band,swelling from the surgery and the gas in the chest, im having a difficult time...I absolutely can't burp at all, I don't know if that's common or because im tight. They said I can't get it un-filled for a few weeks. Does anyone know why that is?I don't think I can do this for a few weeks..

I Was banded on July 23 and even though my healing has been slower than what I have read here on this forum' date=' I am feeling better and better everyday. But now I have a question... I am still on full liquids and when I eat things like Jello and sometimes even when I drink Water I have that feeling in the middle of my chest and then it moves down after a couple of seconds. I know it might be from the swelling of my stomach but will I always have that feeling no matter what I eat for the life of my band? I'm just nervous that I will always have to deal with that "stuck" feeling every time I eat!? Please help.... If this is the case I am now having second thoughts about getting the band. I want to shed this weight but I didn't know I was going to hve this pain while doing it every time I eat.[/quote']

Hi there.. I was banded on July 25 so tomorrow, I go on purée. I had bad and I mean BAD pain while in hospital. I had to stay over night because of insurance requirements. I am very grateful because they gave me drugs thru IV. Left neck pain from surgery, which I guess everyone might get, aggravated an old injury. Neck spasms that i had to deal with. I was sent home with liquid pain meds. Thank God for the Good Drugs. I had NO fill at surgery. My surgeon said in 10 weeks I 'll have first one. Did you have fill? I'm not hungry, but do find if I swallow too much & follow too fast with another swallow I get that bubble get stuck in middle of chest. I now understand what "sip all day long" means. Hard to describe isn't it? You definitely have swelling after all that poking aroun. Everyone on here states the magical " number 9" day is your back to somewhat normal feeling. Stick to it, you can do it. I didn't go thru 2 years to get my surgery for nothing, and know you didn't either. Keep in touch.. Good luck.

Thanks. Ya at first the Water was getting a little bubbly but now it seems to go down fine but when I eat things like Jello or even that ONE grape it stops in my chest for like a second then moves through. It is very disapoininting because I didn't want this to be the feeling at every meal. And no my dr. Did not put a fill in during surgery. Mabe I'm just trying to rush the healing process. I hope it's just swelling. I don't go for a post op appointment until August 9 so that is when I can start mushies. I'm nervous about that stage now.

I definitely wouldn't do the grapes either, even one well-chewed. For me, it is only liquids for 2 weeks. I'm not sure but part of your grape may still be stuck too. The other thing is is the grape irritated your stomach it can cause further inflamation. Definitely small sips over periods of time. I didn't really understand it until I was having awful feelings in my chest as I was inclined to take my <almost> normal size sips. After taking small sips for a couple days, it ceased immediately. Good luck.

Also, silly as it may seem, if you pour tap Water straight from the faucet or the water dispenser, there is a lot of air (bubbles) in it. I keep a jug in the refrigerator so it can aerate for a while prior to drinking. After re-reading your post, Jello is too much of a solid to get down right away. I think most surgeons want only actual liquids.

Jello is what they gave me in the hospital after surgery.