Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tuesday Is The Day!!!!

I'm beyond exited, I'm getting banded this Tuesday. I have never had surgery before and would love some insight on what to expect when i arrive at the hospital.

I think it depends on the hospital. My nurses said they had never seen someone wanna get out of there so fast. I recover quick. I have had a lot of surgeries. I wan in at 0630 and out my 11am. I felt really awesome. Th only pain I have (still) is trapped shoulder gad. HEATING PAD IS A MUST. It helped more than gas X (which is only for intestinal gas), or pain meds. I went back to work today, I worked four flights and the gas made me feel like I was having a heart attack. I would have been able to go back to work in 2 days, but since my job is in a pressurized environment, I think I had an extraordinary hard time.

You will do great. A lot of times it is mind over matter.

good luck with your surgery

Good luck! I'm being banded on Wednesday! :D

Good luck you two! Your journey will begin soon. My band date is Aug 6.

Everyone's experience is different. I had to spend the night and have an x-ray and swallow test the morning after surgery to make sure my band was placed right and everything was working correctly before I could even take a sip of water!

I arrived at the hospital about 9 a.m. in the morning and went back to pre-op. I had to change into a gown and they asked me the normal "are you safe at home" questions before they'd let my husband join me. When he got back we waited about 90 minutes before I was taken back to the surgery suite. During this time, I got my IV started with a dose of antibiotics in it, had the anesthesiologist come back and talk to me, my surgeon popped in and quickly went over the procedure one more time with me. I walked to the surgery suite about 10:30 and took a quick pitstop in the bathroom. So glad I did because I DID NOT want a catheter!

Got to the suite and the lights were SO BRIGHT back there! Stepped on a stool and situated myself on a narrow table. The anesthesiologist put a mask over my face saying it was just some oxygen and something to relax me and the next thing I remember is waking up in recovery.

In recovery, my memories are really loopy. I remember my surgeon coming in and telling me that he was able to get the band in successfully and repaired a hiatal hernia while he was in there. I remember vaguely getting wheeled up to my room where my husband was waiting for me. I had a lot of pain at this point and they gave me a shot of fentanyl which helped. I dozed most of the afternoon.

Woke up and took a walk down the hall with the nurse and came back to my room. Talked with my husband a bit while sitting in my chair. He left for the evening to go home (we have 3 kids at home!) Shortly after he left, my parents showed up witht the kids. My 18-year-old has been watching too many youtube videos of people being loopy from coming off of dental anethesia and just wanted to know how loopy I had been. Told him it wasn't that kind of anesthesia! My 5-year-old was just little girl with a million questions, LOL! They stayed for about 45 minutes and I walked them to the elevator (with the nurse). Came back, went potty, and talked to my husband on the phone and went to bed!

The next morning, I paced the halls, had my tests, slowly drank some juice and was walking out the door at about 12:45!

Good Luck!! FYI.....I'm 10 days post op and feel just about normal. Only had a short lived issue with gas. It is dreadful. Walk, Walk and walk some more. Heating pad helps. Just don't do what I did, I feel asleep with the heating pad on my stomach. Next morning I noticed a blister from the pad being on my stomach to long. LOL :lol: