Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Hi, I Had My Sx In Aug Of 06 And At My Highest Was 348 With A 55 Bmi, Now I Am 213 With A 33.5 Bmi. I Am So Close To The Normal Range. It Is Still Very Hard To Realize. To Be 29 I Have To Weigh 190. So Only 23 More Lbs.

I Love My Band! I Had To Buy A Ball Gown And Went To A Reg Store To Try Them On. I Told The Girl I Thought I Would Wear A 18-20 And She Said Lets Try A 16. Yeah Right! It Fit! My Mind Is Still Where It Has Been For So Many Years. I Think The Last Time I Wore A 16 It Was About 27 Yrs Ago. I'm Just One Happy Lady!

Have A Great Weekend.

Ladydi

It's been so long since I posted here, but I really wanted to share...

I've lost 100 POUNDS!!!

Next stop: ONEderland!

Ladydi -- congratulations! :clap2: A 16 -- WOW!! :girl_hug: I haven't been a 16 since graduating high school... That's the top end of "normal" sized clothes, as I recall! :biggrin1: No more "W" for you now! WAHOOO!!!

YEP THAT'S RIGHT !!!

I survived. Was banded Thurs. morning. It all went well. I was told by all that I was a very cooperative patient. Boy was I sleepy. They doped me up pretty good :smokin:

Had a little trouble getting my blood sugars under control after surgery, they were higher than normal, guess due to the pain of surgery. But they are back under control today, thank goodness.

The pain is getting better. Feeling much better today. The muscles in the top of my stomach are still sore. I feel like I have been doing sit ups for days and days. But I can tell it's getting better.

Sooo how did everyone survive the 2 weeks of liquids? ?? Right now I am in the other room smelling my mom and boyfriend in the kitchen grilling chicken........ TORTURE I tell ya. It smells so good. I just want to lick the chicken, just want some flavor :confused: I promise not to eat it, just let me taste something... GOSH!!!

My mom found me some great juice from Wal-Mart last night that has pomegranate and some other juices in it. That's pretty tasty, but don't want that all the time.

Soooo I'm doing good I suppose, doing my walking which is great. Feels good to sit up and to walk around.

I'm on a new path !!! WHOOO HOOO

Howdy to all my fellow super-size bandsters. I am officially a bandster now! I was banded on wed. Nov. 28th. My highest bmi was like 52.8. I guess I am 4 days out now and am feeling pretty good. I am not having to use the pain meds. as much now. I was getting my 3 yr. old son dressed for church this morning and he accidentally kicked me on my port incision. I went and popped a Hydrocodone and we walked out the door for church. Well about 10 min. into the service the med decided to kick in... I was all kinds of loopy in church this morning!

I am already fitting into my clothes better than I did just a week ago. My out of the dryer jeans slip right on... no straining and pulling, fighting or swearing! I even had to put a belt on this morning with them because they were about to fall down if I didn't. I can't wait for the BIG changes to take place and I really get more energy and stamina for exercise and playing with my boy! I will be 30 in 6 days... What a way to Celebrate being 30! A start to a whole new life!

Well, the pain med has me nodding off now, so I must get some zzzzz's. Isn't that what Sunday afternoons are for anyway?

Howdy to all my fellow super-size bandsters. I am officially a bandster now! I was banded on wed. Nov. 28th. My highest bmi was like 52.8. I guess I am 4 days out now and am feeling pretty good. I am not having to use the pain meds. as much now. I was getting my 3 yr. old son dressed for church this morning and he accidentally kicked me on my port incision. I went and popped a Hydrocodone and we walked out the door for church. Well about 10 min. into the service the med decided to kick in... I was all kinds of loopy in church this morning!

I am already fitting into my clothes better than I did just a week ago. My out of the dryer jeans slip right on... no straining and pulling, fighting or swearing! I even had to put a belt on this morning with them because they were about to fall down if I didn't. I can't wait for the BIG changes to take place and I really get more energy and stamina for exercise and playing with my boy! I will be 30 in 6 days... What a way to Celebrate being 30! A start to a whole new life!

Well, the pain med has me nodding off now, so I must get some zzzzz's. Isn't that what Sunday afternoons are for anyway?

Cagstorm-

You are so funny, you actually went to church high. It must have been a good service. I couldn't actually have thought about going to church the first week out. Good for you.

Also, just wanted to add a little drama. The Dallas Cowboys can't be World Champions this year because they will have to get by the Patriots who have already beaten them!

GO New England Patriots

Cagstorm-

You are so funny, you actually went to church high. It must have been a good service. I couldn't actually have thought about going to church the first week out. Good for you.

Also, just wanted to add a little drama. The Dallas Cowboys can't be World Champions this year because they will have to get by the Patriots who have already beaten them!

GO New England Patriots

Yeah... It was an interesting time at church! Narcotics and Worship! WOW!

Hollyberries, I think you will be proved wrong on the outcome of the Super Bowl. The BOYS played like crud that day and you know it.:) They will take the pats 27-21!!!

ROCK ON ROMO!

Congrats on joining the band, new band member here too !!! Had mine on the 29th. I think if I make it through these 2 weeks of liquids only then I will be able to do anything. My mom has been here visiting and between her and my boyfriends cooking and grilling, I thought I was going to go mad :P Smelling that good stuff and looking at the water bottle in front of me, just didn't seem fair... but I managed to ignore them.

Never thought I would be so excited to eat some mushy foods :) haha

Congrats again.

I am finally scheduled. January 3rd is my day... my New Years resolution should finally come true. My BMI is just under 60 and my doctor has told me that he would like me to lose 35 lbs prior to surgery because there's always a risk with someone my size that he will have to convert to an open procedure once he's in there. I know I'm "super-obese" but I also know I can't be the largest person they've ever done surgery on and I know the incidence of having the surgery convert to open is pretty small. Have any of you, or anybody you know had to be opened up unexpectedly once the surgery got started and can you comment on the difference in the healing process. Just wondering what my chances really are of having to be opened up and what it will be like once it's done. Also.... any tips for pre-op diet to help get closer to the 35 lb loss? I am down 10 lbs now and have 1 month to go.

Very busy thread today and it made me so happy to read it.

100 pounds Zannie. That is so awesome! 319 to 219 - what a dream!

LadyDi - your rate of weight loss is my dream. I hope I'm posting like you in about 18 months.

Cagstorm - you are going to own you 30s.

010308 - I don't think you'll be opened up but anything's possible. Stick to your pre-op diet to release some crap from your liver. The pre-op isn't pleasant but I figue we must suffer for the band. Congrats on the 10 pounds you have lost already. Don't fixate on 35. Just stick to the diet as best you can and whatever you lose, you lose.

McQty - Mushies are amazing. Nothing will taste as good as those. Not long now. Just a lil big more healing to do.

I am finally scheduled. January 3rd is my day... my New Years resolution should finally come true. My BMI is just under 60 and my doctor has told me that he would like me to lose 35 lbs prior to surgery because there's always a risk with someone my size that he will have to convert to an open procedure once he's in there. I know I'm "super-obese" but I also know I can't be the largest person they've ever done surgery on and I know the incidence of having the surgery convert to open is pretty small. Have any of you, or anybody you know had to be opened up unexpectedly once the surgery got started and can you comment on the difference in the healing process. Just wondering what my chances really are of having to be opened up and what it will be like once it's done. Also.... any tips for pre-op diet to help get closer to the 35 lb loss? I am down 10 lbs now and have 1 month to go.

Hi,

Congrats on your date and your 10 lb. loss. I went pretty drastic with my pre-op diet & lost about 18 lb. in approx. 6 wks. I had Protein Drink for Breakfast, salad with a little Protein for lunch, veggies & small portion of meat for dinner. For a while I was doing about 500 calories a day but when I saw the dietician for my pre-op diet she was not happy with that & I upped it to about 800-1000 a day. I wasn't getting enough protein.

I wouldn't worry about them having to open you up. I doubt that will happen. Can't recall anyone on here saying that had happened. The object of the diet is to shrink your liver because the surgeon has to lift it out of the way during surgery.

I was tired of being cooped up, so called up my PCP and went in to see her and adjust some of my diabetic meds. We did my first weighing since my surgery on Thur. (11-29) morning. I was almost floored, down 11 lbs... yep that's right, down 11 lbs in 4 days. WOW !

WHOO HOO, super excited !!!

I was tired of being cooped up, so called up my PCP and went in to see her and adjust some of my diabetic meds. We did my first weighing since my surgery on Thur. (11-29) morning. I was almost floored, down 11 lbs... yep that's right, down 11 lbs in 4 days. WOW !

WHOO HOO, super excited !!!

Wow! McQty! I am so happy for you!

I get to weigh in on Wednesday at my one week post op visit to my surgeon. They have a calibrated digital scale there and I am just going to keep using that one. This will force me not to be obsessive about the scale! (i refuse to buy one) I can't wait to see what I have lost!

I just went through the 2 week pre op diet and the thing that saved me was Chinese Soups. I happen to like them already. They are broth based, clear soups. I had several dif. types of Soup on my "2 slim-slows and a lean cuisine" diet. I had (my favorite) Hot Sour soup. Beef broth with several types of shrooms, toufu (high protein), bamboo shoots, minced pork or beef, and some egg. Oh man, is it good. Then there is Won Ton soup. chicken broth with like chinese meat raviolis in it. And, not my favorite, but Egg Drop Soup is very high in Protein and filling too. Chicken broth and scrambled eggs swirled into it.

I lost 25 lbs in the 2 wks pre op so I don't think the soup will hurt your diet.

I was also eating the quart size soups. they would make dinner for me... But it was MUCH better than the LEAN CUISINE.

Good luck man, I hope the best for you!

Wow! McQty! I am so happy for you!

I get to weigh in on Wednesday at my one week post op visit to my surgeon. They have a calibrated digital scale there and I am just going to keep using that one. This will force me not to be obsessive about the scale! (i refuse to buy one) I can't wait to see what I have lost!

Congrats Congrats !!! on the 25 off in the 2 weeks. That's awesome. I love the idea of the chinese soups... didn't think about that. I wonder if some of those strained would be just fine for the 2 weeks of liquids we have to do now? I haven't tried the variety of Soups you mention, but I am on a new path of trying new things and not being so closed minded.

I totally agree about the scale thing too, I never owned one, why bother?? It wouldn't please me if I stepped on it in the past. I don't want to get obsessive about it either, so I promised myslef that I will only weigh once a week. Once I get a scale at home, I will have to keep it out of view so I am not always stepping on it :(

Congrats again.... by the way are you a Texan, or just know a good team when you see one?