Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Had first fill yesterday 11/20/2007 and I lost 19 LBS the first month.

Pretty excited about the start. Hopefully, I can keep it going.

weight.png

So for supersize banders, what is a good average monthly weight loss. I'm not sure I am on track yet. I was banded Aug 23, 2007 and have had 2 fills. BUT, I feel like I am still eating too much food. I am also having problems not eating in late evening. Any helpful hints? I would love to hear what and how much you all are eating for a typical meal. Also has anyone found a good snack for those times when you have to have something salty/crunch like chips or crackers?

My favorite snack for wanting crunchy salty. Is peperoni You lay them on a paper plate and put them in the microwave to "cook" them till they are crunchy. Yummy! if you blot the oil off them they have less fat but high Protein. YUMMY!

So for supersize banders, what is a good average monthly weight loss. I'm not sure I am on track yet. I was banded Aug 23, 2007 and have had 2 fills. BUT, I feel like I am still eating too much food. I am also having problems not eating in late evening. Any helpful hints? I would love to hear what and how much you all are eating for a typical meal. Also has anyone found a good snack for those times when you have to have something salty/crunch like chips or crackers?

Hi dreno,

You ask the age old question. Everyone is different. So to ask what works for others may not work for me. I will tell you that there are bandsters that seem to lose 1-3 lbs a week (some more in the beginning) and some like Wheetsin who started this thread that lose inconsistantly on a weekly basis, but have chunks of weight at a time. You are unique. Keep getting your fills. You will know restriction when you have it.

As for me I have had my fourth fill and am getting a better idea of restriction. I now understand how 1/2 cup of food is enough. That is the guide line I am given is 1/2 cup of food at a meal, three times a day. Protein first, then veggies.

I have the eating in the evening issue too. I find two things that help. Turn off the TV and go to bed earlier. I have hand to mouth in front of the TV, so turning it off is the easiest thing to help (thanks for asking because I am having trouble with this myself right now). If you must, then make the best choice you can.

Typical meals now after fourth fill: Protein Drink Breakfast, 1-3 oz of lean meat lunch. 3-4 oz lean meat and veggies dinner. My band does not open until the afternoon (I can't eat solids until between 12-3 daily), so I use the shake to begin my day.

As for crunchies, I like wasa crackers once in a while with a topping. In the beginning, I had saltines with something on top of them (tuna, chicken salad, etc.). The thing that helped was that I put a number of crackers on a salad plate and only ate what I put on the plate. I got the crunch and limited what I could have. Occasionally I would have low fat chips, but chips are something I find difficult to control, so I have removed them from the house and stick with crackers.

I crave protein, so a snack for me is usually a piece of cheese.< /p>

I have often felt I was eating too much, especially the week before a fill. I began to remember how much I used to eat before the band and some how what I was eating did not seem as so bad. It helped me to look at my improvement, not perceived perfection.

Good luck!

Mary

Had first fill yesterday 11/20/2007 and I lost 19 LBS the first month.

Pretty excited about the start. Hopefully, I can keep it going.

Hi bartacvs,

Congratulations, wonderful beginning.

Keep up the good work!

Mary

Also has anyone found a good snack for those times when you have to have something salty/crunch like chips or crackers?

i like baking shredded parmesan cheese. put a tablespoon on cookie sheet and bake at 400 for about 10 mins (until crisp).

i love to use them as crackers

If you have a dehydrator, dried celery and carrot are to die for. Carrot is sweet, celery is salty. I bet there's a way to do it in the microwave too but I don't have a mic.

I am also having problems not eating in late evening. Any helpful hints? Also has anyone found a good snack for those times when you have to have something salty/crunch like chips or crackers?

A few more suggestions for your evening cravings: rye crisp crackers, only 25 calories for a pretty good sized cracker. Sometimes I spread a little humus on top... comes in lots of different flavors, or have a thin slice of cheese with it, or maybe a little beef/turkey/ham Jerky. Smoked fish... salmon, tuna, etc. is expensive, but a little bit goes a long way and it's healthy and low cal.

Hi all,

I am new to this thread but definately fit the criteria of a super size bandster. I enjoy reading all your posts and seeing the wonderful successess. You are all very inspiring and I am glad to be among you!

I wanted to add a little more to my introduction. I am doing this surgery so I can be healthy and also because I am a recording artist (singer) and my career has suffered greatly because of my weight. I had 2 #1 Billboard singles in the mid 90's, both were dance music singles. Due to my weight, I stopped recording music a few years ago but have since decided to restart my career and my record label wants me to lose the weight asap. I have a new song being released in 4 months so the crunch is on.

I look forward to all of the support I can receive and give on this board. I will be having my surgery with Dr. Kirshenbaum on Dec. 13, 2007.

Can anyone tell me some of the experiences they had during the first few months after surgery that I should be aware of?

I got banded 10/29/07 and weighed in @ 296 and a BMI of 53, my height is 5'3"1/2, not very tall. But I have LARGE epectations!! My goal weight is 160, my mini goal is 250.

Connie

i like baking shredded parmesan cheese. put a tablespoon on cookie sheet and bake at 400 for about 10 mins (until crisp).

i love to use them as crackers

OOOh I am going to have to try that too. I love the peperonie idea I got from someone from this site.

Hi - I'm Alyson in WA, scheduled for banding on Dec 18th with Dr Neal in Olympia, with a starting weight of 348 and a BMI around 60, depending how straight I stand ;-).

I'm starting the pre-op medifast 5-1 next Monday, but from reading here I'm thinking it would be advantageous to mentally start right now - I think I've had a bit of "last meal" going on. I'm not binging, but I'm definitely planning meals that I know won't fit into my new post-band life.

I'm also doing some post-band meal planning. I'm not much for sweets so I've ordered some Unjury unflavored, hoping it will mix well into broths and pureed Soups during the liquid phases.

I'm excited to start this next phase of my life, and a little anxious. I'm grateful there are so many people here sharing their experience.

Alyson

The holiday was good, my first with the band. I was anxious about how to handle it. I was able to eat at noon (unusual for me) and I took a little of everything I wanted. It was amazing to sit with my family and enjoy being with them. The food was not my focus, they were. Also, I did not get that bloated, can't eat another bite, must sleep after feeling. I was awake, cheery and energized. I did not even have to employ the brushing my teeth following eating to deter me from eating any more food. Now for the amazing part..lost five lbs over the holiday...that is unheard of in my recorded history.

Let me know how you did.

Happy banding,

Mary

The weekend, I had a little PBing. I know I was eating too fast, but could not figure out a strategy to mange the pace of my eating. Last night I finally figured it out. I had saltines with a chicken spread on them. Three and I PB'd. Then I waited about 15 minutes and tried again. I had one saltine with spread and waited five minutes before having the second one. Then the third, I waited three minutes. There it was, my formula for pacing my eating. Eat one saltines worth of food then wait three minutes before I put another bite in my mouth. I am sure I will forget and will have to learn the timing without a clock, but man am I glad to have a strategy to manage this. The band is getting more and more managable.

Happy banding!

Mary

Okay, last post in my series. I have a new NSV. I suddenly realized this weekend that I can rest my arms at my side. I can sit in an arm chair and use the arm rests as intended. :whoo:You might think this is not a big deal, but until this last week, I would walk with my arms sticking out uncomfortablly because between the fat at my sides and the fat on my arms, it made my arms stick up. I did not even know what I was missing. I can't remember when I lost this ability. I am just glad it is back. Stay tuned...crossing of the legs is coming soon:clap2:

Have a wonderful day,

Mary