Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

How is everyone today? I am super EXCITED!!! I just got approval from my insurance company. I have an EGD on the 28th of Nov. Then Nutrition class and pre-op testing on the 3rd of December then meet w/ the surgeon on the 5th of December to set surgery date.

The last time I was at the doctors which was 25th of October and then I had a BMI of 57. I read your posts and I get such hope. I cannot wait :)

I am so nervous. I have been reading up on everything. My lapband journey started this March 2007. I cannot believe it is actually going to happen. What did yall do when you finally realize that it was going to really happen? Are there any words of wisdom you have for me? Also are there any specific things that you could not have lived w/o during the hospital stay? anything you suggests after surgery?

I have tons of questions. Also if you have youtube check out my videos there. My name on there is itcomputerchick. I was super nervous on those videos :)

Have a blessed day everyone

Melissa

=)

hi Melissa,

congrats on being approved!!

this really was the best thing i've done for myself. there is TONS of information here, browse thru the pages - especially the FAQ section. it answers tons of questions.

good luck and keep us posted.

yikes - i didnt answer any of your questions - sorry.

i was out patient so i didnt need anything during my hospital stay.

one thing i couldnt do without when i was home was Jello. but check with your doctor and your post op diet. i found i would wake up in the middle of the night STARVING (or so i thought) and would eat 2-3 baby teaspoons of jello and was comfortable again.

my best advice i guess would be to follow your pre and post op diets. they are there for a reason and it's not to make you miserable ... :)

Hi everyone i am in the UK and had my band fitted on 27th September 07 in Belgium,on day of surgery i was 374 pounds and now 7 weeks later i have lost 51 pounds.I feel good not hungry no fill as yet and energy levels feel good,i average around 875 calories per day which i feel is on the low side but i feel good at this level so for now i will stick with it

Hi all – I am new here and looking at LapBand to see if it is the best option for me. My BMI is 60 (456 6’1). I am glad to see this thread, because I know we are all on the same page.

Speaking of same page – since this post is over 300 pages long, is there any way there could be a separate area for the long journey folks?

Anyway – this long post will be good reading for a few weeks. :)

John

I got my 4th fill last week. WOW, I thought I had experienced restriction, but I think I have a better understanding now. I followed the post fill instructions to a T this time and it was most benificial. I got tired of Soup, but the scale finally made progress since the fill. I finally understand eating only 1/2 cup in a sitting. Finally ready to eat from my DH's plate when we go out, otherwise I have leftovers for four meals...lol. I don't know if on my next follow up I will get a fill, I will let them decide. The biggest challenge for me has been to slow down my eating. When I would get hungry, I would chew the first couple of bites very well, but did not slow down. That has bit me in the hiney a couple of times. Now, after all the practice and experience to get here, I seem to have a handle on it this week. Again, I am going through some emotions because my relationship to food has changed again, but this time I seem more prepared from the previous fills. This is an ever learning experience.

Life it good, restriction is here and the scale has once again moved in the desired direction.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Happy banding,

Mary

Wow thanks! And I haven't even lost any weight yet.. That makes me feel good :-)

Crystal

Crystal...i just looked at your other picture and that is super hot too!

Intersting...about the wench thing!

I started my pre-op liquid diet today. It is not fun! My surgery isn't until 12/04 and it seems sooo far from now. My doctor told me I have to drink 4 Protein Shakes a day, I can have a small amount of crunchy veggies once a day and lots of Water. This until December 4th?! I am determined to do it but it has already been a real challenge. I don't really like the shakes (muscle milk) and ordered Unjury powder. Passing lunchtime at work has been hard. Someone just walked by my desk with a Burger King bag :scared:. Believe me, I won't wimp out, I just need some encouragement. Anyway, can anyone on this thread relate?

michiganer - YOU CAN DO IT! It is so important to stick with it the pre-op. You don't want any intra-op complications! I just kept telling myself I had all my life to eat anything I wanted. I still was far from perfect with my pre-op and it almost cost me my band! My liver was still very large, even though I had lost 15lbs. Don't think of everything you are "missing" out on, think about everything you will gain (or lose :nervous )! I had my last supper before I started my pre-op, steak and potatoes. I can still eat both with the band, just a heck of a lot less!

Welcome to all the newbies! You are not alone out there - we all have a a lot of weight to lose, but together we can do it!

In 5 months I have lost more than 1/2 the weight I need to lose. Like most I am a very bad dieter, but if you let your band work with you, it can be done! I don't count calories, I am working up to exercise (LOL), but I do try to follow these basic rules, solid Proteins first and no liquids 1 hour after eating. Sorry I just realized that sounded like way TOO much bragging, but for once I am proud of myself. I truly believe that if I can do it, anyone can and I just want everyone to succeed!

I hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Mich,

Im that way with cookie dough in the grocery store even NOW...i just close my eyes and repeat "whatever it takes, it doesnt matter if i blow a gasket because i dont have this and anyway no one ever blew a gasket because of lack of cookie dough (burger king) ...lol, just whatever it takes. i WILL eat it again later if i want it, in much smaller portions, but its not forever its just right now, today, and i can do anything for this one day. ill worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. "

Hi my name is thomas, I am palning on getting my band in late jan but the doc wants me to lose 65 lbs befor then or it will be put off untill i lose it. right now i weigh 465 with a bmi of 59. pleas give mt help/advise on how i can get this weight off in 2 or 3 months... what should i eat and how much is what i really need to know. I try to walk about a mile a day if i can... thanks

I started my pre-op liquid diet today. It is not fun! My surgery isn't until 12/04 and it seems sooo far from now. My doctor told me I have to drink 4 Protein Shakes a day, I can have a small amount of crunchy veggies once a day and lots of Water. This until December 4th?! I am determined to do it but it has already been a real challenge. I don't really like the shakes (muscle milk) and ordered Unjury powder. Passing lunchtime at work has been hard. Someone just walked by my desk with a Burger King bag :). Believe me, I won't wimp out, I just need some encouragement. Anyway, can anyone on this thread relate?

OMG YES !!! I RELATE, I RELATE !! I work in one of those work environments where everyone around has a candy dish or snack goodies out to share with everyone. The cravings suck. I am not as resticted as you are. My dr has be doing 2 shakes a day and 2 healthy meals. Interesting how dr's are so different in the instructions they give. I found some pretty good sugar free fruit juice bars at Kroger's the other night and they are pretty good for a sweet tooth. I am 10 days and counting, can't you tell :D I am so anxious to get to that day, I just am beside myself. I don't even care that this week is Thanksgiving. I am going home to visit family and friends for Thanksgiving and I have already set up a few meet ups with some old friends, that way I am outta the house and not smelling the cooking and such. I think that will do me well not to smell that good stuff cooking all day. I have been really good not to cheat since I started my shakes, but boy I'm missing stuff already.

I wish you well, and hope the time goes by fast for you too !!

Sounds like we are in the same place. I am 450 / BMI of 60.

I am still interviewing Drs I go on my 3rd meetign tomorow. I already have been told I will need to get below 400 before banding.

Good luck - we will make it :)

John

Hi my name is thomas, I am palning on getting my band in late jan but the doc wants me to lose 65 lbs befor then or it will be put off untill i lose it. right now i weigh 465 with a bmi of 59. pleas give mt help/advise on how i can get this weight off in 2 or 3 months... what should i eat and how much is what i really need to know. I try to walk about a mile a day if i can... thanks

I started my pre-op liquid diet today. It is not fun! My surgery isn't until 12/04 and it seems sooo far from now. My doctor told me I have to drink 4 Protein Shakes a day, I can have a small amount of crunchy veggies once a day and lots of Water. This until December 4th?! I am determined to do it but it has already been a real challenge. I don't really like the shakes (muscle milk) and ordered Unjury powder. Passing lunchtime at work has been hard. Someone just walked by my desk with a Burger King bag :). Believe me, I won't wimp out, I just need some encouragement. Anyway, can anyone on this thread relate?

what flavor of muscle milk are you drinking? i love Mocha Joe and chocolate / caramel / Peanut Butter ...

good luck with the pre-op. just think how tiny your liver is going to be. it will make it MUCH easier on you for recovery.

best of luck to you!

Tom from what i am reading you are not on the "liver shrinking diet" correct. I would do whatever "diet plan that as given you quick start" we have all had or gone through one of those. I did atkins/south beach. i started at 424 and bmi of 60.8 There was no threat of getting to a "special weight" however the more one can loose before does help during the surgery time. The walking is great. I myself, since having surgery have been "blessed" by one trial to another 1 day back i broke my foot and was down/well off of it for 4 months so just now getting around to thinking i need to be doing something. I know you can do this if you choose the path to get you there. But my simple thought would be to use a diet that has worked "quickly" in the past and then slide quickly into the dr office and get er done! good luck!