Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

ihuber99,

It sounds to me like you're an excellent candidate for lapband surgery. Joining the YMCA is a great first step. Talk to your doctor about your fear of anesthesia. I don't know if they'll do the surgery by spinal, but I think if you had an opportunity to talk to the anesthesiologist, you will be put at ease about that. Part of my pre-op visit was about a 30 minute visit with the anesthesiology department.

I'm not going to lie to you... you will experience some episodes of hunger during the initial period.... You will most likely be put on a pre-op diet that may be quite restrictive.. Some doctors require a couple of weeks of liquid Protein Drinks. Mine just told me to lose 10% of my body weight. I didn't quite get all the way there, but he was pleased with the 18-20 lb I did lose. The first few weeks after surgery are probably the hardest because again... liquids for at least a week, "mushies" for at least another week, then soft as you progress back to regular. You will be told by your dietician what kinds of things to keep on hand to help you handle the hunger. Eating small amounts at frequent intervals will get you through it. AND, staying on these lapband discussion boards will also be a big help. You can do it. You'll be so glad you did. I'm a little more than 4 months out and have little problem with hunger at this point. I am eating small meals, three times a day and a small snack at night. You must eat lots of Protein, little carbs!

A little check-in...

I have a pre-op with my surgeon on Dec. 11th, then a pre-op with my surgeon's dietician on Dec. 27th. I won't get an actual surgury date until I have these pre-ops, but hey -- that's another step closer. I am going to call back today and ask to be placed on stand-by for the dietician. They are some busy folks at my hospital!

I am sorry I got my pre op 7th surgion visit 10 and surgery will be on the 19th. They gave me all the dates as soon as insurance was cleared.

I am SOOOOOO nervous

I was banded in April. Starting wgt- 326. Went to the doc today and have officially lost 53 lbs. OH YEAH! I feel incredible. BMI has gone from 48 to 41! What a ride!

Hey All!

I am a week from being banded and have already lost 40lbs, i am proud of myself, of course i am on liquids and all that prep for surgery. I started at 355 pounds and now am at 320, started at 52 BMI and am now at 47 BMI. So still have a bit to go, but am getting there slow but sure. I commend everyone for there work and for losing all the weight. I know it is hard.

Keep up the good work

Brooke

I am home from the hospital after an overnight stay.

Everything went really well.

I was banded on Tuesday, 11.27.07 by Dr. Michael

Roller at Poudre Valley Hospital in Fort Collins, CO.

I checked in at 830a and arrived in the OR at 1027a,

anesthesia was quite quick and the procedure was fast.

I woke up in Recovery, no problems. Procedure went

very well, no hernias. I arrived in my room at 1215p.

I got a little nauseous while being wheeled to my

room, but thankfully that was the only time I

experienced nausea. I had a PCA for pain control and

used it about once per hour. I was up and walking

after I slept off the anesthesia. My first walk was at

4P and then every hour after that until 10P when I

went to sleep for the night. Pain was localized in the

upper abdominal area. I kept pressure on it with my

hand, which helped. I didn't get too much rest thru

the night because they took my vitals every 2 hours. I

had leg compression pumps that were going off too, so

that kept waking me up too.

This morning I had some SF Jello for Breakfast and a

small amount of crystal light. For lunch I had some

chicken broth and more crystal light and SF banana

popsicle (yum!). I was discharged at 130p and home by

2p.

This afternoon I've experienced pretty severe gas

pains (a 5 on the 1-10 scale), with the pain radiating

up thru my mid chest, like really bad pressure. I've

been taking the Gas-X strips, which have helped.

I started full liquids today. I just hope the

gas subsides.

Cherlita

Loveland, Colorado

379/366/200

pre-op/current/goal

10.5.07: 379 (1st Surgical appt)

11.16.07: 366 (Pre-op appt)

11.27.07: Banded

weight.png

It will subside. Great to have you back Cherlita. The worst part is over now and things will only get better from here.

Brooke, Lori and Cerrin, it's great to hear such good news in this thead.

Hey Everbody!

It's been hard lately with all of the food around me. My first Thanksgiving with no dressing or stuffing as they call it. I am thankful I didn't have horrible cravings. It's so crazy that we as people put for in the forefront of ever holiday. I started working out at the gym. It's been tough but I am doing it. Do you know what being heavy gets you at the gym? More calories burned. As I loose weight I know it will be harder to burn each calorie.

Well this week I was hit with a lot more emotional battles not to mention, a wedding, and this is my worst week of the month. Trying to work through it. This is my craving bloated week. Anyone else have those?

I can't wait to get another fill the the down side of being a self pay is that I don't want to do fluro to get a fill and I am still so heavy they had trouble finding my port. So I have to go back in three weeks, to try again. I am ready for a fill and I am trying to have self control. It's been a lot harder. My eyes are turning onto bread more and more. I haven't touched bread this whole time. I am having a hard time feeling full ever but I just force myself to stop. I feel like over all I am winning the battle, but boy is it getting tougher.

Well I thought I would just post some thoughts about all of this stuff. The good news I found out at my docs office that I did have saline in my band at the time of surgery. She also said that somehow saline still dissipates in the band. She didn't explain how but she just said if they remove all the saline from the band they never get out what they put in. I thought I would share it was interesting news.

I nope everyone has a great week!!!

Hey everyone, so glad to hear of all your upcoming events! Keep us posted, and best of luck!!

Cherlita, wow! Thanks for sharing and so glad to hear you are doing well after surgery. Can't wait for myself!! :)

As for me, well, I have even better news now. I called yesterday morning to be placed on the waiting list for cancellations - and guess what? They said I could come in that afternoon since they DID have one just then!! Wowza!! I got to see both the surgeon AND his dietician. I was so stoked. Both appointments went great and the surgeon said he is going to give me the surgery.

Now another waiting game, he has to let my insurance know he is appoving of me and then my insurance will have to pay him, and not until then will I get my date. He said it takes from one to two weeks to hear from his receptionist to schedule me. I'm not too worried though. I have saved months worth of time with my "squeaky wheel" self!!! I am going to shoot for January. I'm in love with the whole "New Year, New Me" idea. SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!

Well, I will let you all know when I get that all-coveted date. TTFN!

:clap2:

hi all, I just wanted to say hello and share my good news.

As of today, 4 days before my 6 month post-op, I have lost 65 pounds and couldn't be more pleased! I simply can't believe it, this band is an amazing thing!

I just joined this site and read your message. I too am a supersized girl. I haven't had the surgery yet but I am planning on it by February of next year. Would love to hear your thoughts on any special challenges I can expect. I stare down a 150+ weight loss.

Look forward to hearing from you, Sarah

Hi SarahDaken! Congratulations on your decision to change your life forever for the better! My hardest challenge has been giving up foods that I used to love now that I have great restriction and also eating so much less since I loved to eat and used to eat a lot! There are days when I have gone nuts not being to eat as much as I want, but that's just becuase I have used food to medicate in any event. So learning how not to do that is interesting, but you just have to find something else to compensate for it and it forces you to actually deal with things we've all put way back in the corner of our lives. You're going to do great, just remember it's not a race and although it seems like a long journey, before you know it, you'll be at goal! Keep us posted!