Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Finally I cannot believe it! I have a date :eek: I am so excited and so nervous ...Then she says how about Dec 11th? I was like okay. ...When yall had your surgery how long was the prep time before the actual surgery? ...What was the pain like for yall :) Sorry for the questions. I am just super nervous and have so much to do :)

Hugs to all

Melissa

=)

Hi Melissa,

First...wonderful news about your surgery date, congratulations!

It seems like my prep time was about 60-90 minutes. My preop experience in a nut shell. I went back, got into the hospital gown, took a pregnacy test, hopped in bed, they took some blood for pre op blood work, chatted with the nurse, saw my family, got an IV, met the anesthologist (sp) and got my first dose of happy drugs, was wheeled to the OR, got more happy drugs, then remember waking up in recovery.

The pain I needed to manage was only one days worth for me. Second day I no longer needed any pain meds. Everyone is different. I did not have the gas issues most suffer. Make sure you walk around and keep some gas ex or like product incase you need it for the gas pains.

I think everyone gets nervous, the surgery date makes it VERY real. I am so excited for you. Your nerves will calm on your schedule. Just get yourself prepared emotionally and physically. Get your kitchen prepared for the post op diet. Keep your meds stocke and your Dr.'s phone number handy. You will do great.

Happy banding:whoo:

Mary

I know exactly how you feel I just took my finals this week. And now I have a teacher that has no responded to me in 2 days about me turning in my final early. Never thought you could get penalized for turning in work early...go figure. My house needs it looks like hubby will be recruited to help lol. plus i gotta wrap presents and send off Christmas card or atleast buy them ;)

Have a blessed day,

melissa

Man Cherlita you are doing awesome. I thought we were not allowed to swim until like 4 weeks out at least that is what my doctor is saying, But I know everyone is different. Oh my goodness I feel like i have so much to do and so very little time to do it in ;)

Have a blessed day,

melissa

=)

Well being newly banded (1 week out) my prep time was not that long really, about 30 mins maybe and it was mostly relaxed time. I checked in, they gave me my nice gown, hat and bootie-socks to put on and then I went in and laid down while they took my vitals, asked me a few questions to confirm stuff and did my IV. Then my anest. guy came in and visited, asked if I had any questions and told some jokes. I visited with my mom and boyfriend until they took me back. I don't remember a thing after leaving that room. Funny I just now thought of that. I remember them starting to wheel me back and getting in the hall and I don't remember anything after the hall. Then I woke up and they wanted to take me to walk... CRAZY !!!

But it was easy. Very calm and relaxed. I actually wasn't even nervous. Just anxious and ready to go ;)

GOOD LUCK and congrats on getting a fast date.

You make this sound too easy, now I am really scared LOL. Congrats on your newly banding too :)

Have a blessed day,

melissa

=)

Hi Melissa,

First...wonderful news about your surgery date, congratulations!

It seems like my prep time was about 60-90 minutes. My preop experience in a nut shell. I went back, got into the hospital gown, took a pregnacy test, hopped in bed, they took some blood for pre op blood work, chatted with the nurse, saw my family, got an IV, met the anesthologist (sp) and got my first dose of happy drugs, was wheeled to the OR, got more happy drugs, then remember waking up in recovery.

The pain I needed to manage was only one days worth for me. Second day I no longer needed any pain meds. Everyone is different. I did not have the gas issues most suffer. Make sure you walk around and keep some gas ex or like product incase you need it for the gas pains.

I think everyone gets nervous, the surgery date makes it VERY real. I am so excited for you. Your nerves will calm on your schedule. Just get yourself prepared emotionally and physically. Get your kitchen prepared for the post op diet. Keep your meds stocke and your Dr.'s phone number handy. You will do great.

Happy banding:whoo:

Mary

Mary

You are so sweet by being so supportive. I am doing all the main stocking this weekend. Because unfortunately I have to work on Monday. But off for a whole week after that. so hopefully that will work ;)

Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement.

Have a blessed day,

Melissa

=)

congrats to everyone being banded and losing 100 pounds Zannie! yay!

i went shopping last night. Avenue has some really cute sweaters on sale. picked up the 18/20 and it was too big!! 14/16 fits a tad snug, but it fit so i bought 3! tee heeeeee!!!

Are any of you women having problems with your period. I have been on mine for two weeks now. Its very light but annoying just the same. My norm is not having one or only three days. I take Birth Control pills so I will have period every month. And have been for 20 years. I have a ob gyn apt. but not until Jan 15. I can't pin point if its menopause, or that I've lost 45 pounds since Aug, or crushing birth contol pills for five weeks or that my lovley insurance Co decided to change my previous genaric brand of B.C. pills to a new genaric brand the week of my surgery, when I called to complain they said it was EXACTLY the same thing. I will feel better about this if some of you are having the same trouble. Keep in mind I am 48 years old.

I just know when I present these clues to my Dr. he's going to say, "Yea, it could be any one of those things". The only thing I have control over is not crushing the pills, and I did that a week ago.

I await your reply.

congrats to everyone being banded and losing 100 pounds Zannie! yay!

i went shopping last night. Avenue has some really cute sweaters on sale. picked up the 18/20 and it was too big!! 14/16 fits a tad snug, but it fit so i bought 3! tee heeeeee!!!

Congrats! That is awesome I so cannot wait to be a size 14/16 :)

Are any of you women having problems with your period...

I await your reply.

Hi BANDIT.1,

I am having an issue. I am 43. My periods are not regular (never have been) and they are sometimes extended (not two weeks though) and sometimes "normal" for me.

My family doctor has run a hormone test in the past to check to see if I was peri-menopausaul. The test confirmed I was NOT. Perhaps you can ask for this test with your doctor (it was a blood test). I am going to ask her to run this test again, just to check (it was covered by my insurance).

Also I talked with my mom to ask when she was menopausal and it is too early, if my biology is similar to hers.

Just a suggestion, perhaps you could split your birth control pills instead of crushing them. I understand from talking to my pharmacist that crushing some pills can change their effectiveness.

Also talk to your family doctor, you can probably get in to see him/her before next month.

Hope all goes well.

Good luck,

Mary

Hi losingjusme,

Congratulations, soon you won't be able to shop at the Avenue:-0...wonderful problem to have.

Cheers,

Mary

Hi Trisha,

Congrats on making it through surgery. My week post op was the worst for me too. You will get through it and will look back and not remember how bad it feels right now. Get your rest, get your Protein, keep hydrated and try to walk around in your home to get your muscles used to moving and help the healing process along.

You are doing great. I am glad your mom and best friend could be there for you.

Stay active on the boards and keep looking forward.

Cheers,

Mary

Thanks Mary. Odd, my mom and my best friend are both named Mary. I seem to run into a lot of you in my life :) I am feeling much better now. It truly was the worst thing I have ever been through in my life. But I am only 26 so I'm sure there are more to come through life. I ended up back in the ER 2 days after surgery with terrible lower stomach pain. They thought it was my appendix and did a cat scan etc. Turns out, I was constipated and had the worst gas build up. I couldn't even move without excruciating pain! I got through it though and I am still living!

Everything is doing ok now. The only problems are my emotions are all over the place and my energy level is still low. I am back at work today and I feel like I need a nap right now. My best friend and roommate came down with the worst cold and I am trying to avoid her like the plauge. The last thing I need now is to get sick when I'm not 100% as it is. My mom is leaving today which has also thrown me into a funk. For some reason, I turn into a kid again when I am sick and she takes care of me. I cried when I had to leave for work and I feel like a baby. I hate to see her go but I have to be an adult and suck it up.

It has been quite the rollercoaster and I want to get off. I am looking forward to Tuesday when I am allowed to eat mushies. I think that will help a lot with my energy and I think I will feel more normal. Right now, the liquid stage feels like forever. I am worried that I will never feel normal again and that I will have to think about food the rest of my life. All of this measuring and Vitamins and drink this, drink that, make sure I drink enough of this. Its drving me crazy and stressing me out! At lease I can read the success stories here and see that this is the hardest time I will go through and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

hi all, I just wanted to say hello and share my good news.

As of today, 4 days before my 6 month post-op, I have lost 65 pounds and couldn't be more pleased! I simply can't believe it, this band is an amazing thing!

Major CONGRATS sweethinkr!!!

It's been so long since I posted here, but I really wanted to share...

I've lost 100 POUNDS!!!

That is WONDERFUL....I can't wait until I am able to feel what it's like to lose 100 lbs. Keep up the great work!

Are any of you women having problems with your period. I have been on mine for two weeks now. Its very light but annoying just the same. My norm is not having one or only three days. I take Birth Control pills so I will have period every month. And have been for 20 years. I have a ob gyn apt. but not until Jan 15. I can't pin point if its menopause, or that I've lost 45 pounds since Aug, or crushing birth contol pills for five weeks or that my lovley insurance Co decided to change my previous genaric brand of B.C. pills to a new genaric brand the week of my surgery, when I called to complain they said it was EXACTLY the same thing. I will feel better about this if some of you are having the same trouble. Keep in mind I am 48 years old.

I just know when I present these clues to my Dr. he's going to say, "Yea, it could be any one of those things". The only thing I have control over is not crushing the pills, and I did that a week ago.

I await your reply.

I had some issues myself...I had a very HEAVY one this month which was 3 weeks after surgery, My norm is light and short. I think it has to do with the surgery. A question for you though... Were you taking Birth Control...before, during surgery??? I was told not to take any BC during, my OB Gyn suggessted that I started them after surgery. I haven't started them up yet personally. I agree with the other person that said it changes the meds in some way by crushing them up. My docs suggessted the I cut all my pills in half but not the gel caps.

I have a question I think I WAY over did it last night... We had a potluck at work and I only had little bites of different things here and there and I was full then later on I made a BAD choice and had some cheesecake!!! I was so mad at myself for that but then all the sudden out of nowhere I got really sick.

I have had ice cream here and there a couple of nights a week and no issues but something happened after the cheesecake, I started feeling Cramps, sweaty, nauseous and I thought I was going to die for about 10 minutes. I had to do EVERYTHING in my power not to throw-up. Luckily I didn't but then this morning I still felt like crap I couldn't even have the broth from my Soup without feeling nauseous. So I had a half of a Rice cake and went to sleep for 2 hours then finished the other half. By late afternoon I finally started feeling a little better. Any ideas on whether this is "Normal"?